• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

The Universe! and Extraterrestrial Life!

jas0nuk

Statistically, extraterrestrial life is almost guaranteed to exist. So many galaxies with so many stars and so many possible solar systems like ours... there must be more than one with the conditions for life.

Yes but in an infinite universe with a finite amount of living beings then the odds of encountering them are the finite amount divided by infinity...

Any number divided by infinity is practically zero so it is safe to deduct that any living being one encounters is just a figment of one's imagination. Even humans :laugh:

Slasher

Suck It
The one thing wrong with that is that the universe isn't necessarily infinite. There's many theories arguing either way, but I do believe the most accepted view is that of the Big Bang Theory and that theory supports an finite universe. I was taught this in school. The truth of the matter is that nobody really knows for sure, it's mostly educated guessing.

pcstalljr

teen! hide your daughters
well, joke or no joke. Slasher is right. theres no way to prove that the universe is infinite, likewise for the contrary. we may eventually see if it is/isn't infinite, but i doubt it will be in our life time lol.

slasher2661996

I highly doubt that we will see/communicate with `aliens` (if you will) in our lifetime. When scientists sent out the radio messages, they could be received in 3billion years, the aliens could send stuff back and then we would have to wait another 3billion years. Don't get me wrong i DO believe in aliens, very much so, but i just don't think about us communicating with them in our lifetime.

pcstalljr

well that may be true. but come to think about it, believing they do exist. we dont know what they are doing now. maybe there on a search for us, because after all we are aliens to them. so they may be further advanced than us.

pcstalljr

They will also notice we communicate with sound, not telepathy. :)

haha sound and rude hand gestures..and maybe thats where the "im being watched" feeling comes from :p

By the time they get here maybe the sun will have destroyed us all or we'll finally have annhilated ourselves. Why would they want to interact with a species that can commit disgusting acts of violence upon its self en mass.

Aliens don't exist, [the post is edited]. The belief in aliens is drivel / garbage.

ThoughtThinking

I would have to imagine that aliens must have a different planet then ours and possible not be able to survive on our planet possibly an explanation for us not really being visited by aliens. However if aliens are able to survive on our planet then its possible they might look or have somewhat human features.

Moose

Meta Moose
Aliens don't have to be more clever, technologically advanced or even have the ability to communicate. They could be like a bug... then we'll see who's gonna colonize who. :p

eldiablov

Contributor
Aliens don't have to be more clever, technologically advanced or even have the ability to communicate. They could be like a bug... then we'll see who's gonna colonize who. :p

Well if Starship troopers is anything to go by ...

sst03.jpg