• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Ubi: PSP Still Viable, But Lacks Direction

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
ubisoftindia.jpg

If you take a look at a number of the multi-platform game announcements this year, a couple of third-party publishers have strayed away from releasing their titles on the PSP. Ubisoft, for instance, currently has not one PSP title in the pipeline for the rest of this year. Why is this? According to Ubi UK managing director Rob Cooper, it's not due to the PSP's price point when compared to the budget-friendly Nintendo DS, but because the handheld lacks a sense of direction.[blockquote2]As a publisher I'll always say pricing is not the first point of call. I don't think dropping the price of games is going to sell more product or hardware. It's direction, a real strategic decision by Sony as to what it wants to do with that product. It's a great shame that sales are at the level they are, because you've got a hardware system that is absolutely beautiful. I suppose it's almost too technical for the casual person, those that are buying the DS at the moment, who want a few buttons and not a lot more. It's so simple what [Nintendo] has done. [/blockquote2]Where is Assassin's Creed PSP, Ubi? Your point is clear, but if every third-party publisher stood around for Sony to find a "direction," there would literally be no games for the platform.

Ubisoft's Rob Cooper [GI.biz]

B2K24

<p>In other words, yeah we don't wanna waste the resources and man power to make quality releases for PSP which would be somewhat difficult to develope When we can code junk for NDS. Are dev's can crank out a game in 10 minuntes and millions and millions of little kids will buy the stuff no matter how the gameplay is.</p>

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Yes, Ubisoft has come a long way (down) from such greats as Rayman. I still run Rayman for the PSX on my PSP via popstation. It's more fun than anything they've done in a long time.

When a company asks someone else to provide "direction", it's time to dump their stock.

frosty5689

Stupidity to the MAX
That statement's just a lame excuse. Sure sure the dev kits for the PSP costs alot more than the DS, and yea... UMD disks probably cost around the same as catridges... Sure, people can pirate PSP games w/o paying a cent(technically if you minus the internet bills, and other stuff like materials used to mod the psp(could be free though)). What a lame excuse for saying "we only port games to psp, we don't develop any exclusive games for psp". I can imagine how easy it is for them to design the art for a DS because people won't even compare the graphic quality of a DS game where the PSP DOES make a HUGE diffrence from game to game.

Chilly Willy

Contributor
I guess it's mostly a matter of perception. People see the DS mostly as a TOY aimed at KIDS. You toss one at your seven year-old to keep them quiet. The PSP is aimed at an age group that is more discerning and not as easily impressed. As a kid, I played Missile Command on the 2600 for 19 straight hours until the score wrapped around. Today, I doubt it would occupy me for more than a few minutes.

frosty5689

Stupidity to the MAX
I guess it's mostly a matter of perception. People see the DS mostly as a TOY aimed at KIDS. You toss one at your seven year-old to keep them quiet. The PSP is aimed at an age group that is more discerning and not as easily impressed. As a kid, I played Missile Command on the 2600 for 19 straight hours until the score wrapped around. Today, I doubt it would occupy me for more than a few minutes.
Don't forget the high graphics demand we have today as we have stuff to compare other stuff to=)