• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 ubuntu

Alex

i have a few questions about installing this on my ps3
1) is wpa2 secruity supported?
2) where can i dl programs for this that are similar to: microsoft word
mozilla forefox
7-zip
msn/wlm
espicailly a good anti-virus
3)how easy is it to install?
4) how fast is it? im running on windows xp sp3; 224mb ram; amd duron processor and 1.21ghz. is it quicker then this?
5)any known issues?
6) are usb flash drives supported? how do i get the drivers for it?
also one last question, which is the best current linux for ps3, ubuntu or fedora? and which booter shall i use, k boot or they just as good as each other?

Chilly Willy

Contributor
i have a few questions about installing this on my ps3
1) is wpa2 secruity supported?

I believe so.

2) where can i dl programs for this that are similar to: microsoft word
mozilla forefox
7-zip
msn/wlm
espicailly a good anti-virus

Word -> Open Office
Firefox -> Firefox
7-zip -> 7-zip
MSN -> Do you mean instant messaging? If so, Pidgin.
AV -> Not really needed, but you can run ClamAV... considered to be in the top five of all AVs even though it's free.

All this is in the Ubuntu repositories.

3)how easy is it to install?

Go to the system menu and run the Synaptic Package Manager. Then just scroll through the list of apps and click on the ones you wish to install (if they're not installed already - most of your list is installed by default). If you go with Fedora, use YUMEX as the installer.

4) how fast is it? im running on windows xp sp3; 224mb ram; amd duron processor and 1.21ghz. is it quicker then this?

Hard to say. You'll just have to compare them.

5)any known issues?

Probably, but this isn't the place for that. Go to the Ubuntu forums and look for threads on the PS3.

6) are usb flash drives supported? how do i get the drivers for it?

Yes, and they're installed by default.

also one last question, which is the best current linux for ps3, ubuntu or fedora? and which booter shall i use, k boot or they just as good as each other?

"Best" depends on what you want to do. Ubuntu is better for average usage, but Fedora is better for development. Either one can be used in either capacity... just because Fedora is better for development doesn't mean the average person can't use it, and just because Ubuntu is a little more user friendly doesn't mean it can't be used for development.

Kboot is okay, but has a text interface. If you want a nice GUI, use petitboot.

Chilly Willy

Contributor
For the record, I'm currently running Xubuntu 9.04 on my PS3 now. It's much better than anything else right now. Get the alternate installer CD and install like normal. You're then on a regular Xubuntu install. It's nice and fast, even without a custom compiled kernel. In fact, every system in my house is currently running Xubuntu 9.04. :D

Alex

yeah. a year on and still havent installed it yet.

gonna look for a guide on how to do it on F10 and petitboot.

wish me luck :)

Alex

right im stuck,

how do you do it?

i get to kboot and i press enter with fedora 11 live os in the drive and nothing happens :|

yngmike

Stupid Question ( yea I didn't search )

Long time browser. I don't do much posting on the boards anymore since my son turned two :)

Anyways.. I have a Slim (I know no support for slim).

Has anybody attempted to get RHEL (CentOS) loaded on a PS3 Phat? If it can I'd be interested to buy a PS3 Phat and get to work tweaking (I'm a Senior Unix Engineer).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

-Mike