• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Update: Firmware 4.01 Now Available, Features Improved Video Playback

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
psplogo4.jpg

Update: As promised, firmware 4.01 is now available for download on Network Update. We’ve included a direct link to the update below if you wish to install it manually.

Sony's Eric Lempel, director of PlayStation Network operations, has sent word that firmware 4.01 is scheduled to be released soon. The update will include two main changes, the latter being improved video playback for certain file types.[blockquote2] * Display of search results under Internet Search has been improved for certain languages.
* Playback of video content under Video has been improved for certain file types.
[/blockquote2]Would be nice to know which file types. Does this mean DivX and XviD format files will finally be playable through the PSP's built-in video player? Maybe, but if so, you'd think Sony would at least mention it, instead of vaguely stating that compatibility has been improved. Either way, we'll find out for sure when the firmware is released.

Download PSP Firmware 4.01

skparasite

<p>Maybe they are trying to make the life of us more difficult by release small updates rather than one huge one...then again, it could be just improvement on current video playback...</p>
<p>I wouldn't really be surprised if it was just some small improvements. :/</p>
<p>Sony just release Divx/Xvid playback already so that I don't have to waste space on silly mp4s.</p>

CoMbiNa

Wannabe Developer
I don't think the decryption has changed, M33 can just build the extra features on that version, no?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I don't think the decryption has changed, M33 can just build the extra features on that version, no?

Pretty much; nothing has changed in 4.01 in terms of security.

TimTiger

Way to addicted to games.
wow within one week they put out a patch to the 4.00 firmware... good going sony

Fred Smith

4.00 released

I losing my mind, but that a different story. I look at Sony's firmware update page every day and I never saw the release of 4.00 on the North America site. Is this true or am I losing a different part of my brain now?

I keep a running collection of official releases that why I am asking.

Oh, by the way, 4.01 is on the NA site this morning.

Chilly Willy

Contributor
I losing my mind, but that a different story. I look at Sony's firmware update page every day and I never saw the release of 4.00 on the North America site. Is this true or am I losing a different part of my brain now?

I keep a running collection of official releases that why I am asking.

Oh, by the way, 4.01 is on the NA site this morning.

4.00 was only "officially" released in the forum by an administrator. It might have been an accident, and was meant to be internal only, with 4.01 meant as the official 4.00 release. That would explain why 4.00 never got any fanfare, and never showed on the Sony update web page.

dpwykes

<p>4.00 was released on the UK site
See here for details</p>
<p><a href="http://uk.playstation.com/help-support/psp/system-software/detail/item108108/Update-features-%28ver-4-00%29/">[uk.playstation.com]</a></p>

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
It was released on the Japanese site as well. SCEA is just slow at updating the firmware page on the U.S. site.