• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Multi Update: Valve Announces Counter-Strike Global Offensive

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
u3.jpg

Update: Valve just announced that Counter-Strike Global Offensive (CS:GO) is headed to PSN, Xbox Live Arcade, and Steam in early 2012. Expanding upon the team-based gameplay the original CS pioneered, CS:GO features “new maps, characters, and weapons and delivers updated versions of the classic CS content (de_dust, etc.). In addition, CS: GO will introduce new gameplay modes, matchmaking, leader boards, and more.”

“Counter-Strike took the gaming industry by surprise when the unlikely MOD became the most played online PC action game in the world almost immediately after its release in August 1999,” said Doug Lombard, VP of Marketing at Valve. “For the past 12 years, it has continued to be one of the most-played games in the world, headline competitive gaming tournaments and selling over 25 million units worldwide across the franchise. CS: GO promises to expand on CS’ award-winning gameplay and deliver it to gamers on the PC as well as the next gen consoles and the Mac.”

The title will make its first public debut at PAX Prime and Eurogamer Expo 2011.

Talk among eSports players suggests Valve is about to unveil an all-new Counter-Strike title, dubbed Counter-Strike Global Offensive. ESL product manager Bastian Veiser tweeted earlier that Valve was showing off at the title at its HQ today, giving those in the competitive gaming scene a chance to share their thoughts ahead of the announcement.

"Just spent all day playing the new Counterstrike Global Offensive #CSGO at the #Valve HQ [...]

Continue reading: Rumor: Valve Prepping Counter-Strike Global Offensive ...

El Diablo

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.

BlackSheep

You dont understand how fucking excited i am for this ill be getting a new comp i wanted for so much now for this and buying this for ps3 so i can just flat out rape all of the new guys. 12 year vet.This was the only game i did some mlg for.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
There's some translated impressions from a site here: http://translate.google.com/transla...ayzone.cz/clanky/novy-counter-strike-na-ceste

* The game does not to reimburse the CSS or CS 1.6, is primarily intended, and is already well done, the console will release on PC rather a bonus,
* albeit unintentionally, is currently being played more like the HL2DM, just a couple of guns and grenades (which are great)
* also, completely abolished recoil - foiled intention adjustments should be corrected,
game is based on L4D2 engine is Tickrate 33 - used only for the base will be changed,

* SourceTV is not a priority,
* working on Match making system
* completely revised system of money
* Kevlar is currently canceled, which should be remedied in the near future,
maps are simplified to the Xbox style, so many passages removed, most fights melee
* Hidden Path (Valve game only finances) are trying to be balanced all weapons - is currently the strongest and P90 Deagle.

So Valve isn't handling actual development on the title, Hidden Path is. This sounds like what Condition Zero was to the original CS. I'm sure it'll still be decent, but not as excited now.

Probably an attempt at garnering attention towards CS in the console market.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I'm not too excited seeing how it will also be a console title... That's one thing I'll never do: use a controller in a CS game. I'm not expecting much from this title: just announced, outside developer, release early next year (fast turnaround from announcement).

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
For something that originally started as a MOD IIRC. Having it developed by someone other than Valve should not be a big deal.

And even then last I saw it was "Acording to the hot-n-fresh press release, CS: GO is being developed by Valve in cooperation with Seattle-based Hidden Path Entertainment"

MenaceInc

Staff Member
HPE have handled Counter-Strike since the last massive update to CS: Source for the last year or so. While they've put in some interesting changes into Source, it's not really the same game I loved as a teenager. CS:GO hasn't added anything at the basic level so there's nothing so far that can really bring it above Source or 1.6. Not saying that it won't be better but I'm not interested so far and there are a few things about the news so far that worries me. 33tic is one of them.

Joey

Counter Strike on Xbox was rad, so this sound good. It'd be nice to actually be able to play Counterstrike with out having to play the people who are 12 year veteran savants.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Counter Strike on Xbox was rad, so this sound good. It'd be nice to actually be able to play Counterstrike with out having to play the people who are 12 year veteran savants.

You mean Asians right?

El Diablo

I think the gods of CS are germans, asians are all about the Starcraft.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Mainly Koreans with Starcraft :p
I am well up for CS: GO though :D

El Diablo

[video=youtube;tN93xXfews4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN93xXfews4[/video]
[video=youtube;MP5D2N6pKKg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP5D2N6pKKg[/video].
[video=youtube;jGDrGri79pA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGDrGri79pA&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Moose

Meta Moose
I didn't watch all three videos so I don't know if they mentioned it, but I hope this update doesn't kill some of the gametypes (like surf, for example). Otherwise, it looks fantastic! I can't wait to get my hands on this.

El Diablo

They didn't mention it but assuming they don't remove the ability for you to create your own maps, then things like surf should never die. I know they want to focus on the competitive aspect of gaming with this, but if they keep the third party map and mod support then the game will never die and will be amazing. If they don't though and you're stuck with only their de_ and cs_ maps, it may get old for some people quickly.

Moose

Meta Moose
One of my favourite things back when I was playing CS: S religiously was to create my own maps. I used to love getting already made custom maps and improving them to my liking (especially glass_war and breakfloor). I think one caught on and I also remember uploading a couple onto FPSBanana.

El Diablo

I actually used to be in the same clan with Sm0k3y (the guy who made glass_war) and was pretty good friends with him. He made a lot of great glass maps we ran on our glass server which was pretty big at the time. I remember people stole his map, took all of his and "The Gatherings" decals out of it, changed the map name, put their own decals on it, and then started using it on their own server saying they made the map. Eventually he stopped making maps because this kept happening :(.