• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Using The Universal Unbricker To Unbrick / Downgrade / Restore Any PSP To 5.00 M33-4

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Hello I just tried this method on a fat PSP and everything went fine. The only problem was when I went to try and load one of my dumped games, it gave me a "game could not be started error". Any solutions? It doesn't do this with PSP Slim so I find it really strange.

Try pressing select in the PSP menu screen and switch ISO mode to Sony NP 9660

Chafiro

When I try to make the magic memory stick in step 5 after i write down the mspformat command a message that says "logical drive has more than a psychical drive. Cannot handle it" appears, anyway I formated it with my PSP and followed the steps but in step 12 when I try to install the bin file it appears this message:

PSP MS IPL Installer
Load IPL code msipl.bin
241664 bytes (59 block) readed
Error 0x00000000 in DeviceIoControl

what`s wrong, could you help me

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
When I try to make the magic memory stick in step 5 after i write down the mspformat command a message that says "logical drive has more than a psychical drive. Cannot handle it" appears, anyway I formated it with my PSP and followed the steps but in step 12 when I try to install the bin file it appears this message:

PSP MS IPL Installer
Load IPL code msipl.bin
241664 bytes (59 block) readed
Error 0x00000000 in DeviceIoControl

what`s wrong, could you help me

Never seen that error before, what OS are you using? Make sure you are logged on the PC as an administrator too, I can imagine running it in a user account would not work.

Shoms

Im a noob so two questions please...
- when it says exit usb mode, does that mean to physically disconnect the usb cable, or keep it connected but simply exit the the connection on the psp?

- also on step 12:

"12. Exit USB mode. Again, if you're running Windows XP, go to Start -> Run and then type "cmd" without the quotes. Press enter.

This will bring up a command prompt window. From here navigate to the msinst folder and type msinst X msipl.bin, where "X" is your memory stick drive."

it says exit usb mode, but never tells you to reconnect to usb mode... or is it intending what is written; exit usb mode via psp (not disconnecting the usb cord itself) and then attempting the IPL installer? but if the psp is not connected via USB windows wont see the drive, regardless... thanks in advance!

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Im a noob so two questions please...
- when it says exit usb mode, does that mean to physically disconnect the usb cable, or keep it connected but simply exit the the connection on the psp?

- also on step 12:

"12. Exit USB mode. Again, if you're running Windows XP, go to Start -> Run and then type "cmd" without the quotes. Press enter.

This will bring up a command prompt window. From here navigate to the msinst folder and type msinst X msipl.bin, where "X" is your memory stick drive."

it says exit usb mode, but never tells you to reconnect to usb mode... or is it intending what is written; exit usb mode via psp (not disconnecting the usb cord itself) and then attempting the IPL installer? but if the psp is not connected via USB windows wont see the drive, regardless... thanks in advance!

Yeah you need to be in USB mode when writing the IPL else it won't work. Thanks for pointing that out, I've updated the guide.

Chafiro: maybe that's why you are getting the 0x00000000 error?

Shoms

ok, im gunna use my friends fat psp to CFW my slim... he has a 3.40 OE fat psp, so this guide will work right?

another question: since the pandora battery i will be making is not mine, can i convert it back to a normal battery if i have saved the EPROM onto my memory stick? how would i go about doing this? Do i just boot the psp with the AC adapter... put the jigbattery in, execute the pandora program and select normal mode? (does this use the eprom that i initially saved before converting to the pandora?)

thanx, im noob, however, i wanna get everything straight before trying this for my first time, i dont wanna screw my friends psp up!

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
ok, im gunna use my friends fat psp to CFW my slim... he has a 3.40 OE fat psp, so this guide will work right?

another question: since the pandora battery i will be making is not mine, can i convert it back to a normal battery if i have saved the EPROM onto my memory stick? how would i go about doing this? Do i just boot the psp with the AC adapter... put the jigbattery in, execute the pandora program and select normal mode? (does this use the eprom that i initially saved before converting to the pandora?)

thanx, im noob, however, i wanna get everything straight before trying this for my first time, i dont wanna screw my friends psp up!

It will work.

Ok, after backing up the EEPROM and booting up the OS Battery Creator for a second time, an option that reads "Flash battery eeprom" will appear. Select this to restore the battery back to normal.

The other option you talked about doesn't work on all batteries, its only there for those who forgot to back up their EEPROM. Flashing EEPROM method will always work.

Shoms

It will work.

Ok, after backing up the EEPROM and booting up the OS Battery Creator for a second time, an option that reads "Flash battery eeprom" will appear. Select this to restore the battery back to normal.

The other option you talked about doesn't work on all batteries, its only there for those who forgot to back up their EEPROM. Flashing EEPROM method will always work.

alright! thanx so much x3sphere for guiding me through this, much appreciated!! i will attempt this for the first time and tell you guys how it goes ^^.

maxkool

I just registered so I could say: MAD PROPS and many thanks to x3sphere for this guide!! I spent a couple of hours searching through posts on several forums for a guide that would include instructions on using the Universal Unblocker; since I was trying to install CFW on a 3.71 Slim, other guides wouldn't work. An easy to follow guide even for the n00b-est n00b around and everything went smooth as silk :) Way awesome, keep it up.

SauceyWombat

System says 1.5?

Someone turned my Sony battery into a jigkick & my 128mb ms into a "magic" stick. I just used them on my fat PSP & everything seems to have worked except it appears I've only downgraded to version 1.5

What do I do now? I was hoping to end up with the most up to date version of custom firmware...not just get downgraded to 1.5

The person who did the work on my battery & ms was brand new to doing this type of thing. What do you think went wrong?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Someone turned my Sony battery into a jigkick & my 128mb ms into a "magic" stick. I just used them on my fat PSP & everything seems to have worked except it appears I've only downgraded to version 1.5

What do I do now? I was hoping to end up with the most up to date version of custom firmware...not just get downgraded to 1.5

The person who did the work on my battery & ms was brand new to doing this type of thing. What do you think went wrong?

they didn't do anything wrong, they just used the old method of creating a magic memory stick which auto installs 1.5.

the battery you have can be left as is, what you can do is upgrade to 3.52 M33 and then follow only the steps outlined to create a magic memory stick in this guide.