• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[WEBHOST] Amazing FREE Webhosting Service

LocutusEstBorg

I got tired of Tripod's free hosting service because they put annoying ads all over your pages and screw up the layout. I worked around it by making the entire site in Perl which their ad engine obviously cannot modify. Then they reduced their storage space to 20MiB which is pretty much useless compared to the previous amount of 50MiB. I constantly exceed the bandwidth limit of 1GiB/Month too. I only put up with them because they didn't ban your account for direct linking IF THERE WAS NO REFERRER.

Finding a decent free host turned out to be a lot harder that I expected. I finally managed to sign up to this site called 000webhost.com after failed attempts a long time ago following which I completely forgot about it.

Its by far the best free hosting service EVER.
1.5GiB Storage @_@
100GiB/Month Bandwidth :O
Backup/Restore entire site.
PHP
Cron!!!
Free E-mail addresses for your domain name.
IMAP server!!!
Customizable error pages.
FTP access.
A number of MYSQL databases.
NO limit on maximum file size. (This is the biggest fuck up on other free hosts that offer equivalent services. They don't allows files bigger than a couple of MiB.)

They run their own name servers so you can easily register a domain and point it to your site (By parking your purchased domain on your free domain name using their name servers).

At first It appears to be a scam. The final step in the registration requires your to confirm your "IP Address" :/ by downloading and running a fishy executable that any AV instantly detects as a trojan. If you do run it, it connects online and generates a key which you must type in the registration page to complete the registration process. Following this it says that your account must be manually activated by the administrator. I couldn't log in and my account was never activated for days.

So then I used Tor and signed up for a new account and my account was instantly activated and all their advertised free services are true. It never asked to download the verification program. If it ever says the administrator needs to activate the account then its not gonna happen. It should instantly say Setting Up Account with an estimated time of a couple of minutes. The site is really snappy. They don't seem to care if you direct link to files (since the control panel has a setting where you are allowed to choose the file types that can or cannot be direct linked from your site).

They also have an "Affiliate" referral program which seems to be a scam, but I don't really care about that anyway.

If you can't signup normally use Tor. Keep clicking the "New Identity" button till you get an IP from a location that works.

IPs from these locations are known to work:
France
Denmark
Australia

Bulgar Trev

Wow, looks pretty good! But i'm not in any need of a webhost.

LocutusEstBorg

And if we are asked to download the verification program?

Your account will never get activated if it takes that route. Keep trying until it directly activates your account after filling up the form. Use Tor, that's the easiest way.

raing3

I used to have a 000webhost account but the bastards first put my account under a random review (to check for content which violates the TOS) for ~1 week and then they deleted my account without giving me any notice or time to backup my files.

I'm reasonably certain there were no files which violated their rules (possibly because the site was about homebrew) but it doesn't really matter my site was also getting the minimum required traffic every month.

This unfortunately doesn't only seem to be only me complaining about my account being deleted as well because if you look at the 000webhost forum you will see many people have had issues with their account being deleted.

Also their MySQL servers only allow 1 connection per computer and also get restarted every 1 hour I think. Meaning you can't mass open a whole lot of pages from your site and your site will be down for about 5-10 minutes every hour if it needs a MySQL database connection (of course this can be outsourced to a free database host however).

@Torch: I just though I would post this to give you the heads up to ensure you regularly back up your databases and files and download them to your computer.

eighty4

I used to have a 000webhost account but the bastards first put my account under a random review (to check for content which violates the TOS) for ~1 week and then they deleted my account without giving me any notice or time to backup my files.

I'm reasonably certain there were no files which violated their rules (possibly because the site was about homebrew) but it doesn't really matter my site was also getting the minimum required traffic every month.

This unfortunately doesn't only seem to be only me complaining about my account being deleted as well because if you look at the 000webhost forum you will see many people have had issues with their account being deleted.

Also their MySQL servers only allow 1 connection per computer and also get restarted every 1 hour I think. Meaning you can't mass open a whole lot of pages from your site and your site will be down for about 5-10 minutes every hour if it needs a MySQL database connection (of course this can be outsourced to a free database host however).

@Torch: I just though I would post this to give you the heads up to ensure you regularly back up your databases and files and download them to your computer.
I could host you, but you'd lack a cPanel and I'd have to set up your MySQL databases.

raing3

Nah, thanks for the offer but it's all fine now, that happened about a month ago. Now I am hosted with HostHelpers. They only have 1GB of file space and 10GB of bandwidth but they don't have the crappy MySQL servers and they have a better CPanel. The only problem I've had with them is accidentally crashing their servers every hour or so for about 3 days when my blog had a shit load of CPU intensive wordpress plugins running. :blushing: