• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Who's the Voice of this Generation?

Colm

There's no such thing as "the voice of this generation", and it's not Kanye. Kanye released one good rap album, that was it. Now he's bestowing nonsense titles upon himself.
If Kanye is "the voice of the generation this decade", then I'm "supereme ruler of the people who lived in the world of the generation this decade".

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh
I think that Kanye West isn't even the voice of his own shitty album. (Graduation was still alright don't get me wrong. But Kanye is a pretentious asshole, regardless.)

ANYWAY....

As sad as it seems, Lil Wayne seems to be the biggest influence to these hopeless kids. I'm still a kid myself, so I see that bullshit all the time. Seriously, I'm going to hit the next person that recites A Milli.

Lil wayne is a dumb ass.
his music is wack.
He used to be a good rapper but now he just wants to make songs that make no sense and arent good.

The songs he make that are good he doesnt put in his album for some strange reason.

EXAMPLES.
[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s4_Dei5srfM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s4_Dei5srfM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

That song is shit
what was he thinking.
but then he had other songs that were good that he didnt put on the cd.

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3FmEJ0LVpys&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3FmEJ0LVpys&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

that song was pretty good had good timing beat was very good and everything but he decided not to put it on because it was leaked to the net but so did all the other crappy songs on the carter 3. then he ended up releasing it on another cd but not as good. he sounded tired and retarted.
then theres get money. THIS SHOWS THAT LIL WAYNE IS NOW T-PAINS BITCH. all of his brand new songs have a auto tune sound effect just like t-pains (ps kanye west is tryin to do the sae shit) and hes been doin most of his new songs with t-pain. Now time to see what older songs he has that are any good.

1.d-boy (dope boy)
2.fireman
3.hit em up
4.uh-oh
5.you aint know
6.army gunz
7.go dj
8.best rapper alive
9.more fire
10.hustler muzik
11.s on my chest.
12.nigga wit money.
And more that i cant remember know.
Now lets look at his list of good new songs he has.
1. La La - wit busta rhymes:tup:
2.im me.

Thats all i can think of for new good songs. I think he ran out of stuff to rap about so now he raps about gay stuff like sucking lollipops.

Hes a big let down if you ask me.

Also he claims hes the best rapper alive only after juvenile won the award of best rapper alive on an online site whre millions of people have voted for him and as soon as he stopped rapping lil wayne came in and called himself best rapper alive. And to try and prove himself better he tried to one up juvenile because juvenile had an album called 400 degrees so lil wayne thinking hes better made an album called 1000 degrees with a juvenile diss in it (it doesnt say his name but makes reference to some of his work.).

And have you heard this pos yet.
[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XFpCJIb6_ng&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XFpCJIb6_ng&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

Okay its a good song and has a nice beat but listen toward the end the beat is fucked up and off track and there still rapping over it this just shows that todays hip hop lacks dj's to make the beats better and they obviosly dont use tune straightening software to check for consistency.
WTF happend to manny fresh aint he supposed to be still workin on stuff fir him and birdman because the shit there ptting out does not have manny fresh level of listenability. Manny fresh was good but obviously they got rid of him.

Done.

Vee

I'm sorry to say it, but Lil' Wayne is currently the musical voice of his generation.

He's had the highest selling rap/hip-hop album since..ages. Even though the majority of you guys hate him, he's still incredibly popular. He's been nominated for 5/7 Grammy's too.

If that isn't an indication..then i dont know what is.

Moose

Meta Moose
Lil' Wayne? Hell no. Popular doesn't mean shit. His music is appalling, just like most rap nowadays.

I would choose Morrissey... but most people I have spoken to don't like him.

Vee

Lil' Wayne? Hell no. Again.

Popular doesn't mean shit.

If I had to choose, it'd be Morrissey for me.

If i could chose, i'd say no one. We're in a time where everyones copying eachother and jumping on band wagons.

There isn't a definitive artist that you can name. They all have flaws.

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh
I'm sorry to say it, but Lil' Wayne is currently the musical voice of his generation.

He's had the highest selling rap/hip-hop album since..ages. Even though the majority of you guys hate him, he's still incredibly popular. He's been nominated for 5/7 Grammy's too.

If that isn't an indication..then i dont know what is.

I dont hate lil wayne. he used to be my favorite rapper before he started releasing stupid songs like lollipop & a milli & got money and alot of other crap songs. now im going back to my previous favorite rapper murphy lee. (even though he hasnt made an album in a while.

but we can all agree that the voice of the year will not be j-kwon or vanilla ice or andy millanachus.

Vee

I dont hate lil wayne. he used to be my favorite rapper before he started releasing stupid songs like lollipop & a milli & got money and alot of other crap songs. now im going back to my previous favorite rapper murphy lee. (even though he hasnt made an album in a while.

but we can all agree that the voice of the year will not be j-kwon or vanilla ice or andy millanachus.

As in..the Nelly guy?

WTF. He was woeful.

A mon avis, the voice of this generation is Tupac. :p

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh
As in..the Nelly guy?

WTF. He was woeful.

A mon avis, the voice of this generation is Tupac. :p

I thought he was good.

what the hook gon be.
go outside in the rain.
hardcore haitin
bust yo face.

And alot of freestyles. i was a nelly fan too.

But busta rhymes is the voice of this century and chris cornell.

eighty4

With the incredibly disrespectful song, Arab Money?

Not over my dead body.

Oh - Busta makes a song that doesn't even disrespect the race but says they have alot of money but Lil Wayne makes songs whereas he insults females, whites etc etc and we all raise him. GG.

Nero

Mmmm...cookies
Oh - Busta makes a song that doesn't even disrespect the race but says they have alot of money but Lil Wayne makes songs whereas he insults females, whites etc etc and we all raise him. GG.

You obviously have not heard the remix.

CASHMON3Y

Is the voice of our generation seriously a rap artist? Come on people, pick someone that is actually semi-intelligent.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
A rapper shouldn't be the voice of our generation...

That said, I nominate 50 Cent.

Moca

"So who do you guys feel is the voice of this generation??"

Elaborate on what you meant by "voice of this generation." It seems like everyone is interpreting it as the "best musician" or their favorite rap artist, but what you actually meant by the question may be different.

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh
"So who do you guys feel is the voice of this generation??"

Elaborate on what you meant by "voice of this generation." It seems like everyone is interpreting it as the "best musician" or their favorite rap artist, but what you actually meant by the question may be different.

well the voice of the nation in discription would be someone who kids follow almost religiosly try and be like these people

The sad part is most of the time that person is a idiot.

It would really have to be between barrack obama and a rapper(using the term loosely)

Seth

MD Party Room
This may just be me but I talking about is the "Net Generation", who were born between 1982–1995 depending on who you talk to.., and grew up in the 1990s and 2000s

Aka the Generation Y and sometimes called Millennials...Or the "apathetic" generation

Lots of people called Curt Cobain the [overarching] voice of Gen-X...

Nimsical

Hi, I'm Nima
"So who do you guys feel is the voice of this generation?"

No, the voice of our generation is (whenever really, accurately purposed and chosen) going to be a hip-hop/rapper because more than 80% (no reference to defend this statistic, but I'm sure you know what I mean) of the kids these days listen and try to connect with rap music.

It's going to be an artist for a majority of obvious reasons, such as:

• No one reads any books these days.
  • Barely anyone reads legit poetry, all they do is listen to music.
  • None of the reality TV shows have anything to do with meaning, they're only made for the sake of money.
There are exceptions that prove my point, just like me, you or a lot of other people who are going to post after me and agree with me (or disagree).

As to the answer of the question. I personally think Lil Wayne is probably the voice right now.
Not because I like what he has to say or I can remotely connect to any of his songs, because I've seen people mumble his words around me. I've heard people reading his lines off of computer screens, out loud for their friends. Kanya West is old news, he should get some credit for what he's written (which he has, but he's history now). The fact that our generation won't linger on a single artist doesn't bother me at all, everybody gets bored and when something new comes along - it's the best thing you can hang on to. Just like Hip-Hop itself.

For those of you who proposed Stephen Colbert, I personally think you should really pay attention to what he was trying to prove on that episode -> He's a comedian and nothing else, what he does has no meaning or any sympathy involved in it.

Moca

No, the voice of our generation is (whenever really, accurately purposed and chosen) going to be a hip-hop/rapper because more than 80% (no reference to defend this statistic, but I'm sure you know what I mean) of the kids these days listen and try to connect with rap music.

If that's the case, then I don't want to be considered a part of this generation. I don't listen to rap, and I don't share most of the same views as people my age. I've distanced myself from people that are caught up in the "gangsta" mentality and feel that the ideal personality is one portrayed by the media. Sadly, a large portion of these people fall in my age group.