• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Wondering if someone could help... (Art related)

dan369

Well i need some help :p.
Basically i need help trying to make a more realistic light source. What do i mean by this. I'll explain.

I'm basically trying to emulate the feeling of having moonlight/sunlight in my game. Problem is that well my skills aren't up to the tasks, i have some prototypes i made to try and give someone a feel of what i mean.
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/3861/imageru.png

This shows how i'm currently doing this method, and obviously it just looks very, very fake looking. I guess really it was just to test the idea, see if it would look good, now i really would like something more realistic to look at and then try and make a final decision. Such as something like this:
http://postandbeamss.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Light-Beams.jpg

The "light source" would need to be in the top right corner of the image, and at 1280x720. It's used as a sort of underlay in the game world to brighten up certain areas, and honestly with a more realistic looking background image *compared to my current one, i think it might look pretty decent.

So i'm asking humbly, if someone could help just throw together a quick image. I would be extremely thankful :).

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
For the type of game you're going for I would think a simple color gradient will do the trick. For sunlight do something like orange/yellow and for moonlight do a grey/black. I just edited your existing image roughly to show an example of sunlight (very, very quick edit):

dan369

For the type of game you're going for I would think a simple color gradient will do the trick. For sunlight do something like orange/yellow and for moonlight do a grey/black. I just edited your existing image roughly to show an example of sunlight (very, very quick edit):

Didn't think about colour gradients, will defiantly give a better effect...
But i was really more so referring to the way the light beams should travel and trying to get an image that would be a nice rough of that image i posted, just bigger :p. But thanks, defiantly something i'll add in. *If i decide to use this or not, the system that is.