• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Xbox 360 limit

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
I know that the xbox360 uses dual layer dvds which have around 8 or someth gbs of room. I would like to know eventually with newer better looking games when and if the xbox360 might hit it's limit with space. My only ideas would be for them to go to multidisc games while being a hassles might be only thing. Or perhaps making use of the xbox's harddrive. Any other ideas?

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
Well, honestly, space really isn't a big issue- I mean, most games do NOT use even close to the limit, except for a select few- such as Blue Dragon, it'll be three discs. Not for the actual gameplay, but for the FMVs.

XTM_Rage

aXr^2 Developer
I don't think we'll have to worry much about ODD space for a while as developers are becoming ever more effective at re-using the same data for different parts of the game, thus saving space. And as Cheezeball99 stated, what takes most space is the FMVs.

Although, it would've been really nice for M$ to put the HD DVD drive IN the X360 machine, thus providing up to 51 GB of (game) data on a triple layer HD DVD disc (provided triple layer discs are approved by the DVD forum and work with existing HD DVD players).

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
Ha learn something new everyday. Never new hd-dvds had that much space on them. Thought somewhere around 10gbs....:glare: anyways.... Hopefully eventually xbox will games on both the disc formats as to give the user the choice to buy the attachment for however much or to just have 3 dics instead. Thx for the info.

Cheezeball99

But see, the problem with an 'attachment', unless it's an open-hardware SATA attachment, is that the data won't travel through, say, a USB cord fast enough. Plus, man, normal DVDs hold 8.5 GB. :p

XTM_Rage

aXr^2 Developer
Ha learn something new everyday. Never new hd-dvds had that much space on them. Thought somewhere around 10gbs....

Toshiba Developed an HD DVD disc with 3 layers, 17GBs for each layer, instead of the normal 15GB per layer, totaling for 51GB of space. The DVD Forum has yet to approve this new HD DVD disc, but only time will tell.

Cheezeball99

What I'm saying, though, is the fact that using HD-DVDs for games won't happen, at least for the 360. Unless they come out with a new version of the 360, which would piss me off.:mad1: This is basically the one thing smart the PS3 did, was take out this whole problem in the first place, although if the 360 would have had an HD-DVD drive and been 600 bucks then I would've said "F right off, there, M$". But I'm also not saying that they NEED all the extra space, plus, what's the big deal with swappin' a disc every 20 hours or so? I mean, I really don't find a problem with it, hell, I didn't have a problem with the PS1 doin' it, in fact I preferred it, just so they could have expansive and immense games that even today's games are yet to rival in sheer content. It's not like they'd have you swap a disc in the middle of fighting a squadron of locusts or anything. :p

bwalker

yeah i wouldnt mind swapping a disk but it would be wierd to do it again lol. As soon as the new revisions come out and price cut im gonna buy one. i got my ps3 now so now i want a 360 lol

bwalker

the main thing that kills space on the hd formats is uncompressed digital sound. I would rather see either longer less prettier games on the 360 or multiple disks. Gears would have been so cool if it was a lot longer. I really enjoyed it but i would have rather it looked a little less flashy and been 3 hours longer.

J

Junit

Yeah , Gears was very very disapointing for 69.99$ only 5 chapters and they could be easily finished on hardcore , insane gave somewhat of a challenge .

Cheezeball99

Yeah , Gears was very very disapointing for 69.99$ only 5 chapters and they could be easily finished on hardcore , insane gave somewhat of a challenge .

Yeah, it doesn't help now that games are getting alot easier, but now they're getting shorter too, you can easily go through hardcore only dying, maybe 3 times (including RAMM). You can easily beat it in one night, like 8 hours. That's disappointing. That's what was good about games of yesteryear, like Goldeneye for the N64, sure it wasn't any longer than gears, but you also died... Alot.:p