• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

360 Xbox LIVE being discontinued for Original Xbox consoles and games

Joey

The only Xbox game that's still relevant is halo... And there's going to be 3 sequels to that game by the end of this year.

This is so not a big deal.

Adiuvo

There's SW: Battlefront II. The Xbox version is leagues better than the PS2 version.

I really don't see why they should close them down. The PS2 still has it's servers up.

xploren

Contributor
There's SW: Battlefront II. The Xbox version is leagues better than the PS2 version.

I really don't see why they should close them down. The PS2 still has it's servers up.

The PS2 is still successful, with sales still coming in, while the Xbox has been discontinued. Things need to go when they get old enough, you know.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Great, now my xbox360 can start getting even more features added to it.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
I'm still trying to figure out how shutting down live for the original xbox is going to better the 360.

Who still plays the original xbox anyway.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

PS2 didn't have much of a centralized online system. Pretty much every game did its own thing with the exception of first party efforts. Quite a few studios already shut down their servers for PS2.

Joey

I'm still trying to figure out how shutting down live for the original xbox is going to better the 360.

Who still plays the original xbox anyway.

Like Larry said, its probably because of the 100 friend limit. The reason they can't go beyond 100 is because some Xbox 1 games can't handle it. I continue ow what other feathers this could lead to, but that's the one that's been well documented.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
I explained this once and I'll try and explain this again.

Running a data center (Or plural) costs millions if not billions in itself. You have the actual hardware, the costs for the OS's, the power, the bandwidth, and whatever else the bureaucracy tosses at them.

Needless to say, it makes more sense to cut out things that they aren't making a profit on anymore, and focus on what they can make money on now. They're a corporation, and corporations are created to make money, so it only makes sense.

Granite

Hardcore Prawn
RIP Halo and Halo 2 04-15-10
I think your really just picking at the end of a popular franchise on an old console and to be honest seeing as it was released on November 9, 2004 its had a good run. In my opinion for the amount of players frequently playing Halo 2 on xbox live its just not cost effective to run anymore.
Heck i mean if you play Halo 2 religiously every single night for 3 hours i totally retract my point. Just i think the highest percentage of the people playing Halo 2 online are Halo 3 Live players on a nostalgia trip for a few hours until they can get over the beating they just took in MLG :argh:

James.

User Not Found
I'm just wanting to know what will happen to all the Xbox1 gamertags. There's a few that I really wanted....

James.

User Not Found
Unless you've downloaded all the DLC for Halo 2, you can't join any matchmaking.
Microsoft closed all DLC servers, but the matchmaking requirements still require all the DLC...

Lachrymose

smokeMeth();
I forget the name, but it was a square arena kind of thing with a couple towers and long platforms (good for sniping), and the bottom always reminded me of a skatepark because it had a lot of ramps (no vehicles though).

EDIT: I just remembered all of the free DLC you have to download in order to play. Don't forget to have it downloaded prior to the big day! It takes a while and servers will probably be taking a beating.

James.

User Not Found
I forget the name, but it was a square arena kind of thing with a couple towers and long platforms (good for sniping), and the bottom always reminded me of a skatepark because it had a lot of ramps (no vehicles though).

EDIT: [HIGHLIGHT]I just remembered all of the free DLC you have to download in order to play. Don't forget to have it downloaded prior to the big day! It takes a while and servers will probably be taking a beating.[/HIGHLIGHT]

*Ahem*

Unless you've downloaded all the DLC for Halo 2, you can't join any matchmaking.
Microsoft closed all DLC servers, but the matchmaking requirements still require all the DLC...
DLC Removal Threatens Halo 2 Farewell - Xbox Live - Kotaku