• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Your online personality vs IRL personality.

The Teej

Also know as The Tjalian
I'd say I'm exactly the same in real life as I am on the forums: friendly, approachable, and a complete nerd! Of course, I don't use acronyms like "lol" and "brb" in real life though (although I've caught myself saying "oh lol" in real life a couple of times, and it worries me...).

Putting it simply, I'm 22, and I've been on the internet way too long and simply don't have the effort or time to put up an "internet personality" for everyone. Eventually, you just learn to be yourself on the internet. I am the way I am, and I'm fine with that.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
What creates:
[qimg]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/The_Game21/E-thug2.jpg[/qimg]

And the like. Is it really that important for people to let go of their aggression or act like a fool because they can be anonymous (or close to it). Is there no other outlets in their life to express these urges?

I suppose some people find it funny. I'm a big fan of enjoying myself and having fun, but things like 'lol, yur a fag' or 'your a jew, 'niga' (people like to use these types of terms so they aren't -really- racist :mad: ) I really don't get it. I imagine a young person sitting behind a keyboard laughing that they said such things and nobody cares. Or some take the troll route and go for it to just get a rise.

Why? I mean I understand where this originates from I suppose, but do people really get a kick out of these actions for a prolonged period of time? Seems a lot of people do. After the original novelty of it had worn off, I figured people would town down.

So, for this smart talk post, give you ideas or concepts of what you think the 'why' is, or feel free to share your differences of your online personality and your real life personality and why you think they differ (the cause).

I look forward to your responses. :)

It comes from social acceptance. Some of the things we make jokes about and poke fun at would be just awkward to talk about in real like.
I don't have to worry about that much cause of the type of people I surround myself with. But I can completely understand things like goatse wouldn't make for acceptable dinner conversation with mom and dad.

The Teej

Also know as The Tjalian
It comes from social acceptance. Some of the things we make jokes about and poke fun at would be just awkward to talk about in real like.
I don't have to worry about that much cause of the type of people I surround myself with. But I can completely understand things like goatse wouldn't make for acceptable dinner conversation with mom and dad.

Yes, but that's just a part of social life in general, it's not just an internet thing. You'd say some things around some people that you wouldn't with others. Not out of hate or spite, it's just they'd actually get what you're on about :p

For example, I'd act a bit nerdier in front of a couple of friends who are just as nerdy as I then I would in front of my boss, or a distant relative.

IMO, that doesn't have to do with putting up an internet front.

spike021

iPhone Developer (prev. PSP Dev)
Well, in terms of interaction and progression, I'm probably the complete opposite of what I was 2+ years ago. I used to just lurk and not register anywhere because I just liked to read what people had to say, and not question their opinions. QJ (yikes!) changed that IIRC. Basically, I registered one day and began to slowly work my way up to about 800 posts. I learned to open up, because previously I was named Mr. Silent IRL which correlated to my lurking skills.

I feel that I've changed quite distinctly since then. If you've been around these boards since their creation, you'll see that I've attempted to be as engaged as possible without ruining my real life :)huh:).

Well, I must say that the use of forums online has definitely changed by real life for the better as well. While I am surely still a quiet guy, I know for a fact that I interact much more than that of a couple years ago.

Adults have said to me that online interactions don't count for much since you don't chat face to face. I however, see otherwise.

Cheers :)

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
Yes, but that's just a part of social life in general, it's not just an internet thing. You'd say some things around some people that you wouldn't with others. Not out of hate or spite, it's just they'd actually get what you're on about :p

For example, I'd act a bit nerdier in front of a couple of friends who are just as nerdy as I then I would in front of my boss, or a distant relative.

IMO, that doesn't have to do with putting up an internet front.

Well that's my point. You don't become a different person because you're on the internet. It has more to do with your level of comfort, then a split personality.

Seth

MD Party Room
Well I speak the same way I type! Verb free! But yea I still the same guy IRL as online.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Online I am much more patient than in real life. I have no problem going out of my way to help people here, whether it's with PSP-related questions or just general tech issues. In real life, however, I tend not to bother, unless I know the person of course.

I can't say my personality differentiates much more than that though.

Whisper

Logic :(
Well my real life self is a very timid during class. After it I'm the type of guy who will strike up a conversation with everyone I come in contact with. I'm not kidding you, anywhere I go people know me. I guess you could call it natural networking. It probably has to do with my Father's influence and his talking and persuading abilities.

Online I'm timid at first like during class. After familiarity with the community I start to become the person I usually am.

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh
I suppose some people find it funny. I'm a big fan of enjoying myself and having fun, but things like[HIGHLIGHT] 'lol, yur a fag' or 'your a jew, 'niga'[/HIGHLIGHT] (people like to use these types of terms so they aren't -really- racist :mad: ) I really don't get it. I imagine a young person sitting behind a keyboard laughing that they said such things and nobody cares. Or some take the troll route and go for it to just get a rise.

[HIGHLIGHT][/HIGHLIGHT]

1. I have some gay family
2. my favorite auntie is jewish (i shouldnt have favorites)
3. im black

so i prolly wouldnt be teasing anybody about these particullar things. But like i said i say nigga alot and i dont cuss much but i do say crap alot (thats about the closest i get to cursing unless im really pissed or irratated).

Mr. Beefy

Suck It Trebek
none of you guys would recognize me in real life. i honestly believe you wouldn't. except maybe like phil because i use to talk to him on msn and shit all the time.

Tommi

I'm a lot more outgoing on the internet than I am in real life, which is weird considering I used to be a salesman, but again that was all an act.

Leecher

My personalities are different between real life and the internet. If you saw me on the streets, you would have no idea that I am a member of an online forum. In other words, I don't look like a nerd. Lol But when I'm with my friends and peers, I try to keep my online behavior on the down low. In real life, I am outgoing, fun, and I like to listen to others and make new friends. When I'm online, I seem to take it very serious and I also let that inner Geek come out of me. :p

Scorned

I have split personalities in my regular life, which make it difficult to attach to my internet one. I can be really shy at times, but at other times i talk non-stop outside of the internet, and in a way its similar to point where sometimes i dont feel like posting to the topic (although i usually think up a post to post), and other times i feel like i should post to almost any thread i click into.

Generally though i'm usually not too shy, but if you'd ever meet me, theres a 50% that you wouldnt find me a person you'd like to be friends with. From what i've seen that is hah. I can be a total dick in real life, and at other times be one of the nicest people you've ever met, same as online, but of course the worst is sometimes the best memory people keep in their heads of me.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
I have split personalities in my regular life, which make it difficult to attach to my internet one. I can be really shy at times, but at other times i talk non-stop outside of the internet, and in a way its similar to point where sometimes i dont feel like posting to the topic (although i usually think up a post to post), and other times i feel like i should post to almost any thread i click into.

Generally though i'm usually not too shy,[HIGHLIGHT] but if you'd ever meet me, theres a 50% that you wouldnt find me a person you'd like to be friends with.[/HIGHLIGHT] From what i've seen that is hah. I can be a total dick in real life, and at other times be one of the nicest people you've ever met, same as online, but of course the worst is sometimes the best memory people keep in their heads of me.
Yeah I could see myself kicking you in the face. That's a good thing though.

Tsunaii

eMummeh
I tend to be more eccentric online I guess. I like to use the fact people are more open minded to discuss things that are otherwise taboo. I studied drama and dance, languages and religious studies while at school. Therefore most of what I mock online, is stuff I understand something about. I also get the chance to be more outgoing. I guess I can also appear false, or annoying due to my "attempts to stand out from the crowd", in this case being a female gamer.
Online I enjoy a kind of community that in real life I do not have access to. I find it hard to find people to talk to due to the fact I can be obnoxious and I have a tendency to over think and over analyze things (and tend to be damn depressing but thats another story), and I always come across as being an annoying, intelligence insulting asshat. I often explain things to people that dont need explaining, like the psychology of an arguement in order to turn an argument in my favor. In fact I manipulate psychologies alot. I cant help it. Knowledge is a curse sometimes.
I also get ill a lot due to cyber-hypochondria, and because I work in a chemist, it makes me paranoid about every little sniffle and cough, once again the burden of knowledge is messing with my brain.
I guess in real life I am really hard to like, but those who have learned to just go with my crazy flow, learned to like me for who I am. Or the paranoid skeptic in me says they are just being nice. Hell why would I complain. We all like a little lie once in a while. The human race feeds on euphemism and doubt. Its what made us the intelligent species. Not taking life for granted, never being happy with answers we are given. Or maybe its just me.

DrLame

Ham Eater
I like ham sandwiches on AND offline... so I think that makes me the same person. lol?

I tend to act a bit more silly online, I guess as sort of an outlet. Being silly in my line of work tends to be fatal... Other than that I'd have to say it's about the same. I treat most people on irc like I would a friend at a party. I don't tend to get too friendly with too many people irl, other than a close buddy or two at a time. There aren't too many people I find that have many common interests irl, so I feel more comfortable having conversatoins or doing things with people on the network more often than not.

FreePlay

Online I am extroverted, strong-willed, and domineering. I piss people off. I mock stupid people.

Offline I am introverted, meek, and pretty submissive. I go along to get along. I try to keep my mouth shut and not let people know how stupid I think they are. I have trouble meeting and approaching new people. I don't get the subtleties of social interactions. I tell jokes that go over people's heads, usually because they're following my internal train of thought. I have trouble reading people, especially when it comes to sarcasm.

I am not FreePlay, and FreePlay is not me, except for the opinions we hold.

Archaemic

My offline personality is similar to what FreePlay described as his.

However, online I'm often more formal that I am offline. I don't, though, as FreePlay describes he does, express my opinions in a more extroverted manner such that I would insult people, as I try to remain polite online as well. Although it really depends on which part of the internet you catch me on. In IM, I can be quite silly at times. I once talked to someone on IM who thought I was going to be dull and serious, but he soon realized I had a sense of humor. I now talk to this person fairly regularly. So go figure.