• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
I felt like playing some bioshock, and my computer is telling me that out of 3.50 GB of ram only 2.75 is usable. Is this normal? If not why is it telling me this?

Also when playing bioshock I have noticed very very very very minor graphical stuttering. is this because of my monitor (actually a TV) or because I have the cheapest ram I could find.

Seth

MD Party Room
Are you running A 32bit windows OS?

twelve

I'm not dead
I'm guessing it is Vista as well. In which case having 750MB in use isn't that unusual (shouldn't be like it at all times though).

Adiuvo

A 32 bit OS can only use 3 gigs of ram, though 2.75 is a weird number. What's your FPS in Bioshock on average?

LocutusEstBorg

No you're all wrong. It can access 4GiB worth of hardware addresses. Which means the more hardware components you have the less usable ram. If you have no extra components including no GPU then you can use around 3.5GiB of memory. If your GPU has 1GiB then you can access only around 2.5GiB etc.