• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

3.4OE-A - Install Complete, Still Have Questions

karasuman

Hi! This is literally the first time I've used a PSP, and I just managed to hack it to install 3.4OE-A, but I still don't know what I'm doing, so please be patient with my ignorance. :)

My first question is... now that I'm running custom firmware, do I need to do anything else? Do all of these files on my memory stick still need to be there, or can I just format it and start over? (I haven't saved anything not related to firmware hacking on it yet.)

My second question... Am I basically good to go now with trying to sort out Popstation, or getting a SNES emulator, or whatever?

Krelian

Proof in the pudding.

Whenever I change firmware I format my memory stick and restore default settings both before and after the operation... feel free to do the same to get rid of those updater files.
Yep, after a good memory stick format you may go right ahead and start loading emulators, book readers, videos, PSone games, whatever...
You can find a good list of emulators here, and some good reading on converting PSone games here and here.
And of course you can find a useful list of applications and plugins here.
If you have any other question feel free to post 'em!

karasuman

Thanks! I appreciate the links.

I'm still having a few problems, though.

1. I've managed to rip one PS1 game and play it (Suikoden), but I keep getting corrupted files when I try it with another (Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete) by the same method. Are there certain games that simply will not work on the PSP, or am I having issues because it's multi-disc?

2. The only SNES emulator listed assumes that I have either 1.0 or 1.5 firmware. I tried to use it anyway, and, again...corrupted file. If someone could walk me through installing a SNES emulator, I'd love them forever.

Krelian

Additionally.

1. The fact that it's a multi disc game won't affect it's playability, it'll only affect what you have to do to get your save data into disc two. What is coming up as corrupt? The EBOOT itself?

2. Pretty much every homebrew PSP program assumes you have firmware 1.5 because technically you do, OE firmware is basically a "Best Of" firmware combining the capabilities of 1.50 with whatever newer firmware you installed the OE of.
Snes9xTYL is the best SNES emulator we've got right now. It's about the same process as setting up any other emulator... I'll walk you through it.
First download the latest version 0.4.2me.
Extract the s9xTYL-0.4.2me folder.
In s9xTYL-0.4.2me you'll find a directory named 1.5, you're going to copy the contents into your PSP at X:\PSP\GAME150\ - So your PSP will have:
X:\PSP\GAME150\snes9xTYL
and
X:\PSP\GAME150\snes9xTYL%
Inside the first (non % ) directory you'll find a ROMS folder, that's were you put your ROMs (pretty straightforward).
Now you just navigate to Game -> Memory Stick in your PSPs XMB and run Snes9xTYL 0.4.2me.

karasuman

Fabulous! I have the SNES emulator up and running, and I haven't been this happy about video games since I found Secret of Mana in a department store when I was ten. :)

I'm still having issues with getting certain PS1 games to run. Here's what I'm doing.

First, I use ImgBurn to create the ISO. This has worked fine for Suikoden I and II. It won't do anything with Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue, or Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. In each case, it says "Disc Not Supported (Multi-Track)."

With the games that work, I use Popstation GUI with no problem and get the games on my PSP. With the games that won't work, I've tried two other ISO programs: Ultra ISO and ISOBuster. With these, I can create the file (they create .bin and .cue files, though, not .iso--when I try to do an iso, it says it has to choose one of these formats instead), and I can use that in Popstation just like normal. After it's done transferring the game to my PSP, though, I'm out of luck. When I try to access the file on my PSP, I get the corrupt image icon and a message informing me that the data is corrupt and cannot be accessed.

If no one else is having trouble with these sorts of games, is there just something I'm doing wrong?

Krelian

The ol' switcheroo.

I used to use ImgBurn to rip my PSone games to ISO for PSX2PSP but some of the games would hang at a black screen after the boot/warning screen...
I then switched to IsoBuster (free version) and have been perfectly happy with it BUT there is one trick:
The file you get with IsoBuster is a BIN (an usually has no extension at all), just add a .iso to the end of that BIN and PSX2PSP will use it perfectly.
I mentioned that to Taruther in the thread First Post be gentle - ISO and OE3.4 Questions.

karasuman

Thank you so much! I've finally figured out what to do!

I only have one more question... What *is* the best way to handle multi-disc games? I saw one thread talking about replacing the game file on the PSP (to switch from the first to the second) and others talking about having both on the PSP and just making the saves transfer, which seems like it would be best, since most games seem to let you save before swapping a disc. But what about the ones that don't? Is there a way to switch to the new "disc"?

Krelian

The hitch.

There aren't too many games that won't let you save before the disc swap, the only two that I can really think that have issues are Parasite Eve and Metal Gear Solid...
For Parasite Eve one of my personal heroes psychospacefish made a little program that merges the two discs into one nice EBOOT compatible ISO.
For MGS someone (may have been psychospacefish) made a patch or something that when used in conjunction with CWCheat will let you squeak by (I've heard it's a somewhat spotty fix).
Since most games save before the next disc you can just make sure your Save ID is the same on each disc and then move the save data from EBOOT to EBOOT with CWCheat.
...and I've heard it rumored (I haven't heard it from a source I really trust) that there is some sort of disc changing feature from Sony in PopStation itself but nobody has figured it out yet...

karasuman

Thanks again for all of your help! You're amazingly nice and friendly. If I ever have a friend who needs PSP help, I will definitely steer them toward these forums.

Thanks to you, I can play all of my favorite old games on my PSP after only a day of work! I really appreciate it.

<3

Falco75

A few questions I have had lately, this seemed like the right thread...

1. Is there a way to compress the ISO files or PSX game files to a smaller size format? With my PSP games taking up more than 1 gigabyte a piece, i cant fit 2 of them on my card at once (2GB is the biggest you can get right now...right?). Same for my PSX games. Yes, I have 3.4OE-A (thanks to the guides on this site).

2. The games run well but I just wish I could have more on than 1 ISO/CSO and a few PSX games, I have two 2GB memory sticks, one that I want to keep strictly ISOs on and the other I want to have PSX games on. Is there a way to take out packed in applications that I o not use on the PSP to make more room?

3. Is there a way to hide the "Corrupted File" icon under the memory stick, or just push them all to the bototm on the list, instead of dotting the list?

4. One last question. After getting 3.4OE-A, is formatting the PSP just deleting every file in one clean swoop of the "Delete" key, or is there a better way. Once I have done that, do I have to make all the folders all over again?

Any response to any of my questions would be greatly appriciated, thank you!

Krelian

Assistance indeed.

All right then, lets get started:

1. 8GB is the biggest memory stick you can buy but it's about twice the cost of a new PSP! If you're in the USA 4GB can be found on sale here and there in the neighborhood of $50. Currently the only way to make PSone games smaller is to rip out the music, if you don't mind that you can get many games quite small... we talked a little bit about it in this thread. As far as PSP ISOs you can compress them into CSOs at various levels but compressing them too much can lead to lag and other glitches.

2. There shouldn't be any applications on the memory stick that you didn't put there. In your PSP if you go to System Settings and Format Memory Stick it will completely erase everything on it (and rebuild your default folders).

3. You can hide corrupt icons in your Recovery Menu. To get into your Recovery Menu turn your PSP COMPLETELY off (hold the power button off for 5-10 seconds). Now turn your PSP back on while holding R. You're now in the Recovery Menu. Go to Configuration and Enable "Hide corrupt icons". Now go Back and Exit and you'll be back at your XMB.

4. Using Format Memory Stick in System Settings will erase EVERYTHING off your memory stick and recreate your default folders.

Falco75

Thank you very much! All my questions were answered with just what I was looking for!

A few more questions, I'm not sure if this is the thread to ask, but with two PSPs, is it possible to play multiplayer on any PSX games?

Lastly, is it possible to combine the multiple PSX CD files into a single EBOOT?

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
I can answer the multiplayer part- No. But ones that use the same controller you can switch that in the Settings menu, like Battle Hunter.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Thank you very much! All my questions were answered with just what I was looking for!

A few more questions, I'm not sure if this is the thread to ask, but with two PSPs, is it possible to play multiplayer on any PSX games?

Lastly, is it possible to combine the multiple PSX CD files into a single EBOOT?

As for combining multi-disc games, no it is not possible through simple means. Psychospacefish did one for Parasite Eve but it is not entirely perfect - freezes at the end credits.

Still, it is a non issue. Most multi disc games allow you to save before continuing to the second disc. For the ones that don't there's always CWCheat - using it you can convert PSone game save files and use them in a PC emulator (such as ePSXe) to get past the disc check, then transfer the saves back to PSP.

Falco75

So for my games such as Final Fantasy VII that use multiple disks, I would select the first disk to play, go through it normally, save towards the end of the cd just before switching disks, and then the PSP would be able to find the save file even when I am running the separate second cd?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
So for my games such as Final Fantasy VII that use multiple disks, I would select the first disk to play, go through it normally, save towards the end of the cd just before switching disks, and then the PSP would be able to find the save file even when I am running the separate second cd?

Yes, that is correct. 8)

maeirsvs

what about for final fantasy 7..im done with disc 1 and save my file before the please insert disc 2 screen appears..when i load my disc 2 file on my psp and look for my previous file, it aint there..HELP! =(

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
what about for final fantasy 7..im done with disc 1 and save my file before the please insert disc 2 screen appears..when i load my disc 2 file on my psp and look for my previous file, it aint there..HELP! =(

follow this guide:

http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=2047

Seeing as this is a multi disc game you must enter in the same SaveID for all three discs.

Easiest way to do this is to take the SaveID of the first disc, and just apply it to in the rest.