• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 60gb ps3 stopped reading blu-ray discs

El Diablo

So bassically the title says it all. I got my ps3 around release and it had been working fine since then.

I was playing mw2 this morning and everything was fine. When I got home tonight I turned on my ps3 to play it and my game icon stopped showing up. I figured what the hell, something must just be bugged and I ejected the game and put it back in and still nothing. I then went through all of my ps3 games with no results. I tried dvds and ps2 games and both worked fine, and games and demos saved on my HD worked fine too. I restarted the ps3 and reset all of the settings multiple times and nothing was working.

I started looking online for how to fix this problem and everything I could find just said there was dust on the lens so I took apart my ps3 and cleaned the lense and when I put it back together I'm still having the same problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions to try, or am I fucked unless I want to buy a new ps3, or ship sony my ps3 and pay them 150 bucks to fix it?

Something else that was odd that's mentioning is that when there was a ps3 game in the system, the system would not turn off and shut down. I would select shut down system and it would sit there with the green and blue lights just blinking not shutting down, but when I held the button down to power it off and turned it on and removed the game, the system would then shut down without any problems.

Sinfulfate

Same thing happened to my 60gb PS3. I couldn't find a fix for it so I just sold it for $100 and bought a new slim for $250.

Hellcat

Contributor
The "not shutting down" might be due the system constantly trying to read to disc (but failing).

I think there's really no solution besides wither self-replacing the drive or send it in to Sony.

El Diablo

Does anyone have experience with replacing the drive/lense in a system? I looked on ebay and saw a blu ray lense for 50 bucks but after seeing the inside of the ps3 and looking at it, it seems like it would be a bitch to try and do that by myself without experience.

I really want to try and solve this problem without having to get a new ps3. I love having backwards compatibility on my ps3 and I think the fat one looks better than the new slim ones, so I want to try everything in my power before resorting to selling it and getting a new one or something.

Also, I've read sending it to sony usually takes 5 weeks or so for them to get it back to you, out of curiosity, if I sent them mine is there any chance they would ship me back a new one rather than actually repairing mine? (Only asking because as I said before I want to do everything I can to not get a new one [kind of funny I'd rather have an old system than a new one])

Hellcat

Contributor
IIRC they repair it and send the original back, I doubt it's legaly correct to send you a model with less functions than the one you bought, i.e. you have a right to keep (or get back) a console capable of running PS2 games and OtherOS as those were the (payed) features when you bought it.

However, I'm not perfectely sure on this, some one may me correct me on that....

Sinfulfate

Does anyone have experience with replacing the drive/lense in a system? I looked on ebay and saw a blu ray lense for 50 bucks but after seeing the inside of the ps3 and looking at it, it seems like it would be a bitch to try and do that by myself without experience.
I haven't done it personally but their are some people who have fixed this problem by themselves. Heres some guides that may help you.

How to Realign Your Ps3's Blu Ray So That a Disc Can Load and Eject: 8 steps - wikiHow

PS3 Blu-Ray Disc Read Error Fix - Disc Read Error Repair Guide ...

You should be able to buy a new blu ray drive for your PS3 on ebay for around $80 and you can just replace the old one. Just make sure that your blu ray drive is only the problem. I've had a dead blu ray drive on my PS3 and never had any issues powering off. Try going into recovery mode on your PS3 to see if you can fix that.

Dan

Contributor
It happened to me too. I was playing Skate 2 and my PS3 shut off on it's own. Restarted it and no discs would read BD lens cleaner didn't work, and I was only a couple of weeks out of warranty, so I called Sony and they replaced the drive for free.

You can always try lens cleaner: it may be a different case.

PS3 Blu-Ray Drive - M for Mature Forums

El Diablo

So...last night I turned on my ps3 to try and play the MAG beta since I had nothing else to do and when it started up I got an error about the game not updating (I think) and it wouldn't start.

I exited the game disappointed that now I couldn't even play that on my ps3 and lo and behold all of the sudden the disc icon is sitting in my game menu. I went and tested it with GoW 3 demo and some others and aparently if I put a disc in, start up a demo, then exit it, my game will show up and I can play my games.

I'm pretty confused, I don't know what would be causing this, and the night it broke I was loading demos to see if I could play anything at all on my ps3, and it never caused my game to start working.

Does anyone have any input on why it might be doing this?

Sinfulfate

So...last night I turned on my ps3 to try and play the MAG beta since I had nothing else to do and when it started up I got an error about the game not updating (I think) and it wouldn't start.

I exited the game disappointed that now I couldn't even play that on my ps3 and lo and behold all of the sudden the disc icon is sitting in my game menu. I went and tested it with GoW 3 demo and some others and aparently if I put a disc in, start up a demo, then exit it, my game will show up and I can play my games.

I'm pretty confused, I don't know what would be causing this, and the night it broke I was loading demos to see if I could play anything at all on my ps3, and it never caused my game to start working.

Does anyone have any input on why it might be doing this?
Maybe you have some corrupt system files. Have you trying going into the recovery menu and rebuilding the database or restoring all system files?

El Diablo

I love you, that must have been what it was. Last night I was trying to create a backup so I could reset everything and I kept getting an error at 0% and it wouldn't allow me to. I went to restore the system files or whatever and it told me the hardrive was corrupt and did its thing and now everything works fine.

Soul9656

God Listens to Slayer
My 80gig ps3 is doing this aswell. It seems to read a blue ray %20 of the time. And once it reads the disk, it doesnt have a problem playing it at all... you can play for hours loading different levels and shit. Anyway, after my long talk with sony over the phone, they told me about a little service mode thing that seems to have helped. This is how you get into it;

1. Take any disk out of the drive, and turn your PS3 OFF.
2. Press and hold the power button - You will hear it "beep" and the power will go on, 5 seconds later you will hear it "beep" twice, and 5 seconds after you will hear it "beep" again and the power will shut off.
3. Press and hold the power button again - You will hear the first "beep", 5 seconds later you will hear it ''beep" twice, and then 2 seconds after you will hear it "beep" twice again. Take your finger off the power button once you hear the third set of beeps.
4. A list of options will come up on the screen, Number 3 will restore your HDD and hopefully help. Click 3 and let it do its thing.

Hope this helps, im going to try to "rebuild database" once I have backed up my shit and see if that helps.

LocutusEstBorg

You're lucky the drive didn't die. Its a common problem with the launch 60GB models. My friend changed the drive himself. At the time it was dirt cheap. He got a replacement (KES-400 something) for 14$ from China. Second person I've seen this happen to and many others online.