• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.
  • If your profile is showing up as Not Ranked, please review our rules page and follow the appeal process detailed there.

Ability to track trophies earned with RCPS3

bob_the_blob2

Hi Folks, RCPS3 has a wonderful feature that allows you to earn trophies when playing emulated PS3 games. I'd love for there to be a way to track these trophies earned in RCPS3 on Exophase. I realise this comes with a bunch caveats, given RCPS3 recently introduced the ability to manually unlock trophies. However, I love the fact that this feature exists, as it allows you to mimic your trophy state from original hardware, and then continue unlocking via RCPS3. I feel this could be circumvented by treating it like the Nintendo Switch integration, where there isn't a score attached to them, but just the ability to see earned trophies along with other accounts would be amazing.

That got me thinking, I'm wondering what the limitation of setting this up would be. Is it the fact that RCPS3 data is stored locally, and not stored in an online account for a exophase site to query, OR is it technically possible now and simply a matter of writing an integration?

Would love to hear peoples thoughts on this, and if anyone else would want to see a similar sort of integration in the future.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I haven't had a chance to look at how RCPS3 is storing the trophy data but if it's the same way the PS3 itself does it (presumably it is similar) there should be files that we could have users upload.

Limitations that I see:
- It wouldn't be possible to do an automatic sync since it's all stored locally on the user's PC.
- Unlocks are not verified server side by PSN so we can't count them towards the leaderboards.

The data in the trophy files could be checked against what we already have stored from PSN in terms of matching up the game and trophy IDs, so setting up the integration is simple in that sense - it's mostly a matter a writing a parser for the file format, and adding a way to upload that file to the site.

If anyone is up for writing a parser that can read the trophy files from RCPS3 I'm willing to integrate it into the site. It looks like RCPS3 has a built-in Trophy Manager so the code involved in reading the files would just need to be ported to PHP: https://github.com/RPCS3/rpcs3/pull/3665

Otherwise, I can take a look at it myself when I have time. May not happen soon though as I'm busy working on other things for the site.

bob_the_blob2

Thanks for responding, you're absolutely right in that it would have to be uploaded from the local RCSP3 data and that it probably wouldn't make sense to count them towards leaderboards, especially given the fact you can not manually unlock trophies within RCPS3.

I believe RPCS3 thropies created from game's trophy data, and put into your user folder:
X:\RPCS3\dev_hdd0\home\00000001\trophy

I imagine not too many people are asking for this, but my thinking here was just to have a nice way to track and view progress made through RCPS3, kinda like the Switch integration and without leaderboards.

If this gets more support and bubbles to the top and you need some help scoping something out don't hesitate to reach out

RetroGamingJP

This is very interesting, retro consoles with achievement/trophy support sure do need a way to sync to Exophase. RetroAchievements develop their own sets of trophies so it will never (AFAIK) preserve the official trophy sets, which are important as well.