• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 About VGA Monitors

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I was thinking of getting a DVI to VGA adapter for my PS3 but after much searching I've seen that the monitor with DVI-D signal input are too recent.

THe monitors I have access to are:

ASUS VW192T+ 19"

ASUS VW192T+ 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor ( VW192T+ ) - 19" LCD Monitor - Asus Monitor

This one says it supports DVI-D signal but the one I have doesn't have a DVI port, only VGA. So what do I do?

SAMSUNG 701N

Samsung SyncMaster 701N 17TFT Black LCD Monitor 1280X1024 600:1 8MS VGA: LS17MJAKBZ/XAA at BEST PRICE

This monitor I don't know if it has DVI signal support (it doesn't have the port aswell)

So can anyone help me?

THanks in advance,

K.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
:| CRAP IT'S EXPENSIVE

*starts saving*

Would that work though?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
It sure looks like it will. It takes a PS3 signal and spits out a VGA signal. However, you should make sure your monitor can accept 480i/p, 720i/p, and/or 1080i/p signals.

And how would I know if it does?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I don't even the manual anymore i think xD -.-

MIght as well google it... The ASUS one I'm sure supports it though, but not the Samsung one

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I think I read something like that yeah..

Vee

I remember when i tried to get my PS3 hooked up to my DVI only monitor, i had a horrid time. I wanted it to go from HDMI to DVI, so i was going to get a HDFury connector. Because that strips the HDCP or something like that.

I didn't end up getting it, as my monitor wasn't full 720p, so the image would have been stretched.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I'm pretty sure the ASUS monitor I am using wouldn't have problems... Since it displays a resolution of 1680x1060 (or whatever) and that's bigger than 720p but it bugs me that only has a D-SUB port and no DVI-D one

Ninja Edit: The ASUS works fine, I have that monitor and used to use my Xbox 360 with it, should work with the PS3 properly (or so I hope)

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
If the monitor has built-in scaling it will accept any input resolution. Without scaling, usually monitors only accept their native res. I believe the 360 supports more resolutions than the PS3. For instance, 1680x1050 is an option on the 360 but not PS3.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
THanks for all the info guys :D

Bill

Your monitor only needs to be DHCP - Compliant for 1080p IIRC.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Okay... So DVI to VGA conversor arrived today and I'm trying to connect it my monitor to my PS3 but when I choose HDMI, nothing appears on my monitor... WTH? :(

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Okay... So DVI to VGA conversor arrived today and I'm trying to connect it my monitor to my PS3 but when I choose HDMI, nothing appears on my monitor... WTH? :(

What is the monitor's native res? If it's 1680x1050 that's why - the PS3 doesn't support this res, while the 360 does. I warned about this above. You may be able to get a picture by choosing 720p.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
How do I choose 720p? When I choose HDMI it doesn't ask me anything else...