• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Admob implementation for Android

[STRIKE]Does anyone here happen to have experience implementing admob into android apps? I just released an app onto the market and wanted to have a free, ad supported version. Thing is implementing admobs is more troublesome then actually developing the app -_-. So instead of having them release simultaneously like I wanted, I have to wait until I figured out what was going wrong with the ads to release the free one.

tldr: Having trouble implementing admob with my android app.

My problem is this, when I first started trying to implement admob into my code it was working, kind of, the ads seemed to load inconsistently, whenever they wanted to. Until one day they just stopped loading, despite the fact that the code went unchanged. Both the XML and Java code were the same. Now I can't seem to get the ads to load no matter what. Anyone have experience here? Tips on what I could do? Or if this is admobs or my apps fault?

Will post code if that'll help you help me.

Also when I run logcat, it tells me that the adRequest is receiving an ad url, but it always times out while getting the HTML and then returns an onFailedToRecieveAd(A network error occurred.) error.

Any help would really be appreciated[/STRIKE]

Solved it

Moca

Could you provide a little bit of info on why the issue you had happened and how you solved it? Doing that could be helpful for anyone that may run into the same problem.

Yea, no problem. So as it turned out, it wasn't necessarily a fault in my code (It was all fine, both the xml and java) and it wasn't necessarily a fault with admob either. It was more so confusion as to how admob's system works. AdMob allocates ad inventory too your app (aka ads that will show up). However, that inventory is not always filled. It takes time for the inventory to fill and to start getting impression on your app. So all that you have to do to get ads showing all the time (even when your inventory isn't filled) is turn on "House Ads". House Ads are your own ads used to promote your own items, you don't make money off these, but it is free advertisement and ads will always appear. They also don't take over non-house ads (aka ads you do make money off of) unless you change some of the House Ad settings