• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Afterlife Theories?

Slasher

Suck It
I've been like this for many years now. I'm not gonna randomly do something.

Then have you even considered the thought of help? It's hardly "random". If you need help, then why not start now. Your outlook on life would likely turn for the better. Having a generally negative view on life can't be healthy

Whisper

Logic :(
I've always felt that suicide was a very selfish way to go. Unless you have had no human relations in any form you are going to hurt someone.

LocutusEstBorg

Jeez stop talking about me already. My post was my opinion. You didn't have to go off topic and start giving me advice. I would opine differently if I had convincing points that there IS an afterlife and its affected by your present life.

To get this back on topic lol i do believe in Heaven and Hell and that if i didnt believe in it i would hae serious issues and probably would just wonder whats the point if at the end it really didnt matter for much. If the end is nothing so be it, but my faith that there is an afterlife is what keeps me going and i firmly believe that when i die i will go to heaven noone could really convince me otherwise. On a lighter note i always did find reincarnation fascinating to think i could come back as a bird or even a fish would be awesome :p lol

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
To get this back on topic lol i do believe in Heaven and Hell and that if i didnt believe in it i would hae serious issues and probably would just wonder whats the point if at the end it really didnt matter for much. If the end is nothing so be it, but my faith that there is an afterlife is what keeps me going and i firmly believe that when i die i will go to heaven noone could really convince me otherwise. On a lighter note [HIGHLIGHT]i always did find reincarnation fascinating to think i could come back as a bird[/HIGHLIGHT] or even a fish would be awesome :p lol

I take it you never played duck hunt :blush:

madsoul

72 virgins...

and when im done with those...?

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM EST ----------

im glad to have been born in one of the most secularised countries in the world. im pretty amazed that so many people in the us dont believe in evolution. its scary that there are so many extreme religious people over there.

Kyle0wnsyou

Lavate las manooos!!
I'm in my 3rd year taking college Philosophy classes, and I've come to the conclusion that Body and Mind are not one, but seperate.

Ancient Greeks and Romans believed that our minds were divine, and our bodies were vessels. It wasn't until the Renaissance that 'The West' put humans at the center of the universe.

Eastern philosophy and theology would dictate, more specifically Hinduism, "Thou art That" 'That' is the Hindu name for Plato's "World of Forms." The World of Forms is where your consciousness returns after your organic body dies. The world of forms is where perfection is. Nothing exists physically, but as concepts.

We all know a square has four sides. That representation, a polygon with four sides of equal length is far more accurate than a real-life 6"x6" square made of wood. Concepts, or forms, are perfect. Philosophers through time have concluded that this world of forms is what is percieved as 'God'.

Zx30

Beto
I don't know what the hell happens, but there has to be SOMETHING.
I mean think about it, we don't even know what we were doing BEFORE we were born. What WERE we. What were we doing?
And I hope there is something after life. It would suck to just be in eternal darkness.

Agh, I hate it when I think about this shit. lol

LocutusEstBorg

I don't know what the hell happens, but there has to be SOMETHING.
I mean think about it, we don't even know what we were doing BEFORE we were born. What WERE we. What were we doing?
And I hope there is something after life. It would suck to just be in eternal darkness.

Agh, I hate it when I think about this shit. lol

You're implying that a form of "consciousnesses" that has always, and will continue to exist, was simply placed into your body when you were conceived?

Zx30

Beto
You're implying that a form of "consciousnesses" that has always, and will continue to exist, was simply placed into your body when you were conceived?

I'm not implying that we do, because if I say that we do then I'd have to provide some cold hard facts(which don't exist). All I'm saying is we don't know if there is an after life, we don't know what happens if there is an after life, and we also don't know what we were before we came to being alive.

What I was implying is that I would like it if there was some continuity of my "consciousness" when I die. Simply stop existing would suck. :(

LocutusEstBorg

I'm not implying that we do, because if I say that we do then I'd have to provide some cold hard facts(which don't exist). All I'm saying is we don't know if there is an after life, we don't know what happens if there is an after life, and we also don't know what we were before we came to being alive.

What I was implying is that I would like it if there was some continuity of my "consciousness" when I die. Simply stop existing would suck. :(

But, as an analogy of Pascal's wager, the only possible outcome of there being nothing, i.e. not existing, is better than having a chance of going to hell. So it would be better if there was simply nothing.

Zx30

Beto
But, as an analogy of Pascal's wager, the only possible outcome of there being nothing, i.e. not existing, is better than having a chance of going to hell. So it would be better if there was simply nothing.

But then that brings the question of "Does Hell and Heaven exist?" That's another belief thing. No one knows if they exist. Which also then could bring the following questions.
"Did we ever exist before birth"?
"What does not existing feel like"?
"If Hell exists, is it really a bad place"?(Just because a book tells me it's bad, I'm supposed to believe it just like that?)
"How can we compare Hell to not existing when we don't know how either feels?"

Like I said, I hate thinking about this because I myself as a human being like to know shit, and when I don't know, all I have is thoughts and opinions.

Well on second though, I do enjoy thinking about this. It expands my imagination :D

madsoul

i cant know what happens after im dead. but i find it most reasonable that nothing will happen. and most reasonable that there is nothing as heaven or hell.

for me, everyone who believes in afterlife are either very religious or just afraid and scared of the most unthinkable: nothing. i believe that when i die i wont remember a shit of my life. i will have never existed as a person. and THAT motivates me to spend the rest of my life enjoying that i actually got born and have about 80 years to spend if im carefull about myself. i dont see how people would want to kling onto wishfull thinking so much until it gets to be almost the "truth".

Zx30

Beto
for me, everyone who believes in afterlife are either very religious or just afraid and scared of the most unthinkable: nothing.

That's exactly how I feel. I HOPE there is something to do after life because I don't want to be nothing.
But there is only one way to find out eh? If I could, I'd report back to you guys after I die :p