• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Am I the only former forums.qj.net guy, who has hacked their PS3?

Muratcan

I'm sure some of you guys will remember me from back in the day. From what I can gather hardly any of you former forums.qj.net users, who were big into the PSP hacking scene, have actually hacked your PS3s.

Is it the step of having to buy something to do the hack or just apathy towards the hacking scene. Or both? Or have you grown out of it?

Hacking the PS3 certainly gave me a thrill reminiscent of downgrading my PSP back in the day. Although in terms of the amount of homebrew being released, that is nowhere near how it used to be with the PSP, so in that regard, and with a healthy dose of nostalgia, the memories of the PSP scene still reign supreme.

Am I right in saying the lack of homebrew is because an Open Source SDK hasn't been developed yet? :confused1:

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I would be right there with you if my PS3 was with me. I mainly just use it for at my house as the primary entertainment device and thus only get to use it on the weekends I go home and my roommate chose to update his PS3...

The lack of homebrew has to do with the SDK certainly and it will take a while before we see anything like the PSP's scene (which is hard to replicate in terms of homebrew since homebrew came before piracy for the PSP)

eldiablov

Contributor
I'm sure some of you guys will remember me from back in the day. From what I can gather hardly any of you former forums.qj.net users, who were big into the PSP hacking scene, have actually hacked your PS3s.

Is it the step of having to buy something to do the hack or just apathy towards the hacking scene. Or both? Or have you grown out of it?

Hacking the PS3 certainly gave me a thrill reminiscent of downgrading my PSP back in the day. Although in terms of the amount of homebrew being released, that is nowhere near how it used to be with the PSP, so in that regard, and with a healthy dose of nostalgia, the memories of the PSP scene still reign supreme.

Am I right in saying the lack of homebrew is because an Open Source SDK hasn't been developed yet? :confused1:

I dont want to buy a Teensy and my phone's bootloader isnt cracked. I'm gonna have a long wait.

Muratcan

Thanks for replying guys.

Indeed this hack has been very weird with regards to how the first app was a backup loader. Also it hasn't come about as exploits traditionally do. Isn't it actually based on code leaked from Sony regarding how they recover bricked PS3s? :S

Unlucky regarding your situations guys. My PS3 is in my bedroom and I decided to buy a 360 NAND device as soon as I saw it was ported to those (since everything else was out of stock). Funnily enough the day I got my hands on it, the hack was ported to iPhone (I have a 2G).

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Many devs are keeping distant from the PS3 scene due to lack of a legal SDK. Without one, any homebrew is just as illegal as sharing backups. It's probably only a matter of time before Sony goes after sites hosting PKG files (at least those based in the US). The latest filing already highlighted Backup Manager and its association with the SDK. Sony is building up a massive case against the jailbreak.. right now it's primarily focused on targeting distributors but if the latest filing is any indication that will change soon.

It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. Apple lost similar jailbreak cases but Sony has the advantage of arguing that the hack is being primarily used for piracy. Which is unfortunately true, at the moment anyway.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
I would have done it if I currently owned a device capable of doing it. I'm not really up for buying something specifically to do it with.
I was hoping it might get ported to PSP but I believe that was scrapped wasn't it?
Anyhoo, I am a QJ guy if you remember Muratcan (though your username isn't ringing too many bells to be honest) and have hacked every single console I own in some way apart from my PS3...
Independence Exploit for PS2, Modchip AND software mod for Wii, Custom firmware on PSP, R4 flashcart for DS, and flashed DVD drive for 360.

To be honest though, I am probably just going to end up updating my PS3. I value online play on it more than homebrew or running games off the HDD, and it doesn't look like any update blocker will be coming out anytime soon :/

Muratcan

I remember all of your names tbh (x3sphere wasn't on QJ, but I remember you from when I came here to download a few homebrews for PSP xD). I'm surprised you don't remember me El_Xando, I used to post a hell of a lot from 2005-2007!

I have hacked a fair few devices myself. PSP first, then iPhone, then my Wii last Xmas, PS2 earlier in the year (thanks to a guide on MforMature!) and finally PS3 last month. I don't value online at all so that's where I didn't think twice about staying on 3.41.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
Former qjer here. Hacked my ps3 the day the ti84 exploit came out.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
I remember all of your names tbh (x3sphere wasn't on QJ, but I remember you from when I came here to download a few homebrews for PSP xD). I'm surprised you don't remember me El_Xando, I used to post a hell of a lot from 2005-2007!

I have hacked a fair few devices myself. PSP first, then iPhone, then my Wii last Xmas, PS2 earlier in the year (thanks to a guide on MforMature!) and finally PS3 last month. I don't value online at all so that's where I didn't think twice about staying on 3.41.

Christ, so you did!
Well I do vaguely recognise your name :)
It's funny going through the most Posts list on QJ Members List, so many of them moved to MfM or just completely left...

Brad

Yoshimi
Hacked my PS3 with a ipod mini 2g [APP]. It wasn't big on my list to do so I just waited for the software to run on a device I already owned.

Deathrow

It's still taking flight and people have started to track down those NID functions to complete the SDK. The PSP is slightly similar , but nothing like the PS3. For those who have developed for the PSP will most likely have a greater success at the PS3 since the systems are relevant to each other. Learning to understand how Sony created their system and reverse and interpret its meaning may take a while, but its off to a good start I'd say.

Then again, no one wants Sony Lapdogs coming in contact with and then banging on your door to sign a contract lmao...
Because of the sudden lawsuits and Sony's awareness on the subject, you begin to think of the billion dollar cooperate and how they interact with people...

Muratcan

The PSP is slightly similar , but nothing like the PS3. For those who have developed for the PSP will most likely have a greater success at the PS3 since the systems are relevant to each other.
This is exactly why I think DAX returning would be the ultimate. He, more than anyone else, knows the insides and outs of the PSP firmware. Surely that knowledge would be invaluable to the PS3 scene. Here's to hoping that an Open SDK would cause developers such as himself to come out of the dark.

I remember way back when, when DAX left the PSP Scene. IIRC he said he was trying to find an exploit for the PS3, this must've been like 3 years ago. After a while he must've disappeared completely, but if he was thinking of hacking the PS3 back then, we can hope he'll return. Mathieulh said (on his twitter) he was in contact with him recently, and that DAX is actually watching the PS3 scene. QJ.Net posted an interview (conducted by PSP-Fanatik.ro) with DAX's right hand man, Alek regarding what he and DAX are doing atm and what they think of the PS3 developments:
http://www.qj.net/qjnet/news/alek-dax-still-watches-the-homebrew-scene.html

Deathrow

This is exactly why I think DAX returning would be the ultimate. He, more than anyone else, knows the insides and outs of the PSP firmware. Surely that knowledge would be valuable to the PS3 scene. Here's to hoping that an Open SDK would cause developers such as himself to come out of the dark.

Not to dash your hopes and dreams away, but he can't. Dark Alex really did sign a contract with Sony to stop promoting running unsigned code on the PSP/All Sony devices. Thus why "knocking on your door to sign a contract" was a joke and theoretically what happened....(or so told)

Edit: Then again their are ideas of double aliases or "given" work (used loosely). However if Sony knew anything about Dark Alex behind it, they would sue like mad crazy. It's a risk factor for him. Almost like reverse hypervision lvls or get sued millions tryin' lmao

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Not to dash your hopes and dreams away, but he can't. Dark Alex really did sign a contract with Sony to stop promoting running unsigned code on the PSP/All Sony devices.

Not sure where you heard that but it's pure hearsay. Alex left on his own accord, Sony did not pressure him. He could come back but what's the point. M33 is already feature packed, I'm not sure what else could possibly be added.

As far as PS3 development is concerned, there's no chance of him getting involved unless an open SDK is released. Alex always played by the books, that's why Sony could never touch him.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Honestly, I find no further appeal to "hacking" my PS3 than just to say ive tried it. I bought m PS3 to play on PSN and participate on the network with my friends. I want to buy games and support the industry - at the same time I want to play homebrew but fact of the matter is, the PS3 wasnt made for homebrew - PC's were, and the PS3 is not a PC and thats the bottom line.

Some people just cant be happy with electronics and I dont disagree with them because a lot of electronics are pushed to be limited of their bounds because of fear of end user.

The PS3 "hacking" scene is cool, im glad its something, but its not for me. The PSP is different though, I find the games are terrible and the device itself makes for great portable gaming with emulators thus why mine is hacked with a custom fw for emulators only.