• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Andy - A little bit about me

Andy

Champion of the Sun
I feel that I never made a proper introduction so I felt it best to try now.

My name is Andy, I'm 16 years old and I'm from a village called Tilehurst in southern England. I would prefer it if people around here used my name "Andy", rather than Hardly or AndyL.Tilehurst is a very boring place, there is absolutely nothing to attract tourists, no sights, nothing. The only thing I can mention really is that is has a water tower that is kind of like a landmark of the place:

My_Tower.jpg

I'm currently in Sixth Form, which is essentially college, and am taking four courses; Physics, Computing, Economics and Mathematics. The easiest of the four is definitely Computing, as most of the stuff you are taught is just basic knowledge. We have started to program in Python now though, however I feel that I am not really learning anything due to my teachers learning methods. I'm hoping to learn Python myself out of school though, it should be fun and help me out a lot when the exam comes.
I have a very big problem with commitment. I feel as though I am wasting my time at this school, as quite frankly it's a joke. They promise they will "treat you like an adult", however this, in their eyes, means contacting your parents about how you are coping, taking away your free periods, and just generally holding your hand. I wish they would truly let us take responsibility for our learning, as I choose to be there, they don't.

I am struggling with my other subjects, Physics being the hardest. I know if I tried, I could do a hell of a lot better, but even the incentive of good grades doesn't give me the push I need. Math is also difficult, but only because it requires you to put effort into remembering what you have learnt. The work itself is generally not hard, but there is a large mound of work you need to remember for the exams. The first class test we did, I got 23%, which was actually average for my class. The next test when I tried, I managed to get 69%. Economics is a joke, but mainly because of my teacher. His idea of learning is to sit around like fucking planks of wood for an hour talking about what was on TV the night before. I go to school to try and learn, and he isn't helping in the slightest.

I feel like giving it up, and just getting a quiet little job for some quick cash, but I know I won't. When school is up, I still don't have a clue what I will do. I have the vague idea of getting a job with computers, but I don't even know what area. I'm hoping to learn how to program and get a little job in that field, but I know I will probably end up with a quiet office job, and to be honest, I wouldn't mind that. Everyone talks about getting a career in Engineering, Physics etc, when all I see myself doing is being an accountant, or some other random position.

Other than all that, I'm an avid movie watcher. I would like to say that I have a great taste in film, but everyone has their own favourites and opinions. There are still some films that I am ashamed to not have seen though, such as Pulp Fiction, The Godfather, but I will get around to them eventually. Other than movies, I play games occasionally, although I have gone off my 360 a bit lately, it just really isn't attracting me. I seem to have a strange addiction to TF2 however, playing with people from IRC has been really fun.

That's really all I have to say at the moment, I'm on my lunch break from school and am supposed to be going back for Physics, but I doubt I will bother. If you have any questions about me just ask.

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
That certainly isn't your run-of-the-mill water tower; looks neat.

It sounds like your at a bit of a crossroads when it comes to schooling. All I can see is, despite what you see yourself doing, you should consider doing the best you can while in classes as there's no downside to be successful; quite the opposite if you fail.

It was a nice read. Thanks for sharing Andy.

Vee

You picked Maths AND Physics for A Level?

Your either incredibly smart, or incredibly mad. Those two will kill you.

twelve

I'm not dead
You picked Maths AND Physics for A Level?

Your either incredibly smart, or incredibly mad. Those two will kill you.
I did Maths and Physics A-Levels. Not all that difficult really.

Geography is the one I struggled with, so I dropped it after the first year.

EvilSeph

Administrator
Welcome to MfM Andy!

Your introduction begs the question: do you do your homework? Practising what you learn is the best and easiest way to remember everything. If you do your homework, it won't seem like you need to remember much at all.

Andy

Champion of the Sun
Pretty much, yeah. When the exams come, I will revise for the 3-5 days previous to the exam, and during that time I actually try, but it never really is enough. I have 3 Math tests this week, along with an Economics test. The night before these I will cram in as much as possible, and then after the test is done I will just not bother.

Noriyuke

eh, i do that a lot, i mean, not only in school, but out of school, if it comes to certain things, i just hold off until the last possible moment, even then im weighing my options.

Nice read by the way, ever thought of writing?

Anyway, welcome to MfM, ive been here since like a few days after its inception when i was talking nonsense on qj forums, someone routed me here, been fun ever since.

Andy

Champion of the Sun
eh, i do that a lot, i mean, not only in school, but out of school, if it comes to certain things, i just hold off until the last possible moment, even then im weighing my options.

Nice read by the way, ever thought of writing?

Anyway, welcome to MfM, ive been here since like a few days after its inception when i was talking nonsense on qj forums, someone routed me here, been fun ever since.

Yeah, it's not just school where I am like this, it's life in general. I'm the epitome of laziness I guess you could say :p

I have thought about writing, but I just get brought back to reality when I realise that my vocabulary just isn't great enough to do this. Creative writing is something I have always loved doing, but I have never really had the opportunity to do it.