• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Any tips for speeding up torrents?

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
I'm kinda new to torrenting, and was wondering if there was any way to speed it up.

I'm currently using bittorrent, should I be using utorrent ?

I am downloading quite a large linux os, and have uploaded 1.4gb, but only downloaded 746mb.

I'm getting 16-20kb/s down and 40kb/s up, and down is set to unlimited and up is set to 40kb/s. Should I change that ?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Your ISP might be throttling your torrent traffic, if so you will have to encrypt the connection (should be located somewhere in the settings for bittorent). This helped me out since Comcast throttles my bandwidth with torrents but it's a hit and miss for most

Bran

Yell
Also if you seed more the trackers you are connected to usually let you download more.

Greyone

thanks for the tips :tup:

@FrozenIpaq

I don't think my ISP is throttling my speeds, since I got 512kb/s down a couple weeks ago

Hardrive

Contributor
I'm with Zero on this. My very maximum upload speed is 40 kb/s. If I get near this, my downstream gets clogged, and I get stuck just uploading. On my connection, I have to limit my upload to about 20 kb/s to get a decent download speed. A lot of it is just trial and error.

Also, make sure if you have a router to forward the correct port to the computer torrenting.

mohaas05

In Utorrent, if you set the upload speed very low, the download speed will reduce to like 2kb/sec. Raising it to acceptable level will raise the download speed too.

It seems these two things follow a certain ratio.

Greyone

In Utorrent, if you set the upload speed very low, the download speed will reduce to like 2kb/sec. Raising it to acceptable level will raise the download speed too.

yeah, same thing happens to me in bittorent

RoBz

sucker

They removed that feature after 1.8.

Greyone

Also if you seed more the trackers you are connected to usually let you download more.

yeah, that must be how this tracker is

i just hit 3gb upload, and now my download rate is 100 kb/s :D and there have been no changes in my seeds or peers.
----
hit 150 kb/s now :)

it's flying, the ETA changed from 1 d 23 h, to 2h

Hooger

yeah, that must be how this tracker is

i just hit 3gb upload, and now my download rate is 100 kb/s :d and there have been no changes in my seeds or peers.
----
hit 150 kb/s now :)

it's flying, the eta changed from 1 d 23 h, to 2h

; )

Savagefreak

$ ./savage.sh
Usenet <3
Also:
waa981.png

*cums*

Adiuvo

Mine is about 75kb/s :(

Comcast throttles them, and if I turn on encryption it raises the speed to the current level. Most I ever got was around 250kb/s.

Mast3r_Shak3

I remember I used to get like 2kb/s then I set up a static IP and now it works like a charm..

But make sure you have your port forwarded correctly and isn't in the 6199-6899 range (or whatever it is) because ISPs commonly block those ports due to torrenting/p2p.