• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Are all Xbox games time tracked?

KGBc00L

I see some Xbox games do not show tracked times, for instance Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2. Is this a bug, or are some games just not timed?

SilentJay76

As far as I know, all games since Xbox One should track the time. Garden Warfare shows 12.72 hours for me. (Which I will just assume is some sort of newfangled galactic way of displaying time.)

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
It's also worth noting Xbox 360 games don't track time when played on 360, but do through back compat, I haven't seen any that don't so assume that's done at the emulation level or something.

@x3sphere I'm sure I've asked this but I can't remember where or when. Can we track time played or last time played for OG Xbox games played via back compat on Xbox One/Series consoles? I know they aren't tracked here currently, but that would be nice especially with the custom progress bars we have now.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
It's also worth noting Xbox 360 games don't track time when played on 360, but do through back compat, I haven't seen any that don't so assume that's done at the emulation level or something.

@x3sphere I'm sure I've asked this but I can't remember where or when. Can we track time played or last time played for OG Xbox games played via back compat on Xbox One/Series consoles? I know they aren't tracked here currently, but that would be nice especially with the custom progress bars we have now.

Not sure, I'll take a look the API response on a few profiles and see if those show. Assuming you've already played some original Xbox games through back compat on your profile?

Right now we're ignoring anything from the Xbox API that lack achievements but I know they track regular PC games that you've played through other services, so there is a chance the original Xbox games are tracked too.

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
Not sure, I'll take a look the API response on a few profiles and see if those show. Assuming you've already played some original Xbox games through back compat on your profile?

Right now we're ignoring anything from the Xbox API that lack achievements but I know they track regular PC games that you've played through other services, so there is a chance the original Xbox games are tracked too.
I've booted up Black before, and it appears in my play history on the Xbox app on PC. If you can pull that info over that'd be great, I'd suggesting treating them the same way as Steam games that don't have achievements.

The PC games may be worth looking into too, I wonder how it even tracks those. It seems to be a bit picky, I can see a few of my steam games but not many, a GOG game, even a few stand-alone games installed on my PC. I guess it matches the .exe files to a database or something? Pretty interesting.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I've booted up Black before, and it appears in my play history on the Xbox app on PC. If you can pull that info over that'd be great, I'd suggesting treating them the same way as Steam games that don't have achievements.

The PC games may be worth looking into too, I wonder how it even tracks those. It seems to be a bit picky, I can see a few of my steam games but not many, a GOG game, even a few stand-alone games installed on my PC. I guess it matches the .exe files to a database or something? Pretty interesting.
I made some changes and it should be picking up the backwards compatible Xbox games now. I see it picked up Black on your profile and the time played is shown too!

Yes, maybe the PC data could be useful. I'll have to see, might be difficult to filter out games from services we already track though -- all of them just seem to have a generic 'Application' media type and doesn't give any indication of which service it was scanned in from. It probably looks at the .exe name or file hash to match up.

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
I made some changes and it should be picking up the backwards compatible Xbox games now. I see it picked up Black on your profile and the time played is shown too!

Yes, maybe the PC data could be useful. I'll have to see, might be difficult to filter out games from services we already track though -- all of them just seem to have a generic 'Application' media type and doesn't give any indication of which service it was scanned in from. It probably looks at the .exe name or file hash to match up.
Awesome, chalk up another win for tracking on exophase.

Ah if the PC games can't be filtered/identified that's probably not much use, thanks for looking into it though.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I've noticed my Watch_Dogs (Xbox one) play time isn't being properly tracked. Maybe it's related?
Some games do not track time on Xbox One, the update MS did earlier last year fixed tracking for majority of games but also broke it on some older ones :/

Have you checked the Xbox app to see if the playtime for Watch_Dogs is properly shown there?

xandowsk

Some games do not track time on Xbox One, the update MS did earlier last year fixed tracking for majority of games but also broke it on some older ones :/

Have you checked the Xbox app to see if the playtime for Watch_Dogs is properly shown there?
I don't think they show play time on the app anymore :-/

Thanks for the quick reply anyway!