• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Are video games being limited by "progress"?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=398#respond

A contributer over at Sony's semi-official blog posted this and I sort of agree with him. The main point of his article is basically saying that, video games are being driven by "progress" rather than innovation. Take GTA 3 for example (which he brings up) .. compared to GTA 1 and 2, it offered nothing new. Only 3D graphics. It will be the same with GTA 4.. better graphics, no new innovation. And today I think this is becoming more apparent, we are seeing less and less games which bring new ideas / gameplay mechanics to the table, instead they just improve on graphics.

Take a look at the FF series. A few years ago we always expected a new FF, each with an all new storyline and characters. Now Square is remaking all the old titles and releasing side-stories to past titles (FF7).

I mean I still like the games being developed today.. but to me the NES / SNES era had much better games, how long is it going to be before we get tired of the same cliche storylines and gameplay elements?

What are your thoughts on his article?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
to me it seemed the focus of the article was games that are fun....i fondly remember goldeneye and perfect dark and jet force gemini as fun....but they were progressive,especially goldeneye....but i do think that anything past the 32/64bit generation was just the same but done up pretty. the only truely fun and original games in my opinion i played since the N64 and the PlayStation were Kuru Kuru Kururin and Chu Chu Rocket.

also,a quote from the article...
"Until then, feel free to go pick up the highly acclaimed, hyped and well reviewed Ultra Awesome Game 16… because the higher number means it’s better, right?"
seems about right especially concerning all the people asking for downgraders. :p

yeah exactly .. I remember when I first got Goldeneye 007 for 64 I played it for hours. it was one of those games where you actually felt like James Bond. Have yet to play any console or even PC FPS that comes close to it. these new 007 games just feel like you are some mindless guy shooting imo (though they are made by EA so not too surprising)

Pariah

x3sphere said:
yeah exactly .. I remember when I first got Goldeneye 007 for 64 I played it for hours. it was one of those games where you actually felt like James Bond. Have yet to play any console or even PC FPS that comes close to it.
I agree. Perfect Dark was also good for me. The hitman games are doing well though.

GPUX

http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=398#respond

A contributer over at Sony's semi-official blog posted this and I sort of agree with him. The main point of his article is basically saying that, video games are being driven by "progress" rather than innovation. Take GTA 3 for example (which he brings up) .. compared to GTA 1 and 2, it offered nothing new. Only 3D graphics. It will be the same with GTA 4.. better graphics, no new innovation. And today I think this is becoming more apparent, we are seeing less and less games which bring new ideas / gameplay mechanics to the table, instead they just improve on graphics.

Take a look at the FF series. A few years ago we always expected a new FF, each with an all new storyline and characters. Now Square is remaking all the old titles and releasing side-stories to past titles (FF7).

I mean I still like the games being developed today.. but to me the NES / SNES era had much better games, how long is it going to be before we get tired of the same cliche storylines and gameplay elements?

What are your thoughts on his article?

That Doesnt Apply To GTA 5, The Graphics Of The Game Were similar To That Of GTA 4 But The Gameplay Had Changed Significantly.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
That Doesnt Apply To GTA 5, The Graphics Of The Game Were similar To That Of GTA 4 But The Gameplay Had Changed Significantly.

haha,GTA4 hasn't even come out yet... :|
although i assume you mean GTA san andreas ....but even then it still is GTA 3 but with bells and whistles added on.its still going on missions and working your way up and earning money

yeah exactly .. I remember when I first got Goldeneye 007 for 64 I played it for hours. it was one of those games where you actually felt like James Bond. Have yet to play any console or even PC FPS that comes close to it. these new 007 games just feel like you are some mindless guy shooting imo (though they are made by EA so not too surprising)

hmm....well F.E.A.R. for the PC was a great game....but it is part of the story that your some mindless guy.....but that didn't detract from it being fun.the problem is that F.E.A.R. just reused a lot of the same ideas as a lot of FPS games....sure,it did them extremely well but still the same ideas.....this is the problem that the article writer i think was trying to get at.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

san andreas? eh.. in my opinion the gameplay was the exact same. go to the story points and start the mission.

GTA 4 better let you go in all buildings and houses. I realize that this may of not been possible to do with the PS2/Xbox, but theres no reason why the PS3 can't handle it.

hmm....well F.E.A.R. for the PC was a great game....but it is part of the story that your some mindless guy.....but that didn't detract from it being fun.the problem is that F.E.A.R. just reused a lot of the same ideas as a lot of FPS games....sure,it did them extremely well but still the same ideas.....this is the problem that the article writer i think was trying to get at.

yeah, haven't played fear actually. when I get a 360 I'll check it out. had a decent video card (x800 pro) but it fried last month, and now I'm stuck with an old FX5500 :sad: Can't play any PC games now lol

Roe

san andreas? eh.. in my opinion the gameplay was the exact same. go to the story points and start the mission.

GTA 4 better let you go in all buildings and houses. I realize that this may of not been possible to do with the PS2/Xbox, but theres no reason why the PS3 can't handle it.

yeah, haven't played fear actually. when I get a 360 I'll check it out. had a decent video card (x800 pro) but it fried last month, and now I'm stuck with an old FX5500 :sad: Can't play any PC games now lol
I agree with what you say about the gta you should be able to go into every building and you should be able to break into locked cars