• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC Battlefield 2142

Joey

I've been thinking about getting into battlefield on the PC, since I bought 1943 for the 360, and everybody on there pretty much sucks... I mean, I'm not trying to sound like a douchebag, but I haven't once finished outside of the top 3... It's just a fuckin' free-for-all.

I'm trying to decide between 2142 and 2. I've heard 2 is better, but 2142 probably looks better I assume.

Joey

Man, I really wish this was on Steam... I don't like buying games unless they're on Steam, just because with my luck, they'll release it later, and I'll have to buy it again.

Hardrive

Contributor
Man, I really wish this was on Steam... I don't like buying games unless they're on Steam, just because with my luck, they'll release it later, and I'll have to buy it again.

Why do you re-buy games that go on Steam?

Joey

Why do you re-buy games that go on Steam?

I haven't, but that's only because I don't buy anything that's not on steam already.

I just like the convenience of 1 click download and install, and being able to launch all my games from one client. Plus the auto updating.

Once Crysis goes on sale, I'm definitely buying that. I didn't actually buy it the first time, I got it with my graphics card.

LocutusEstBorg

I've been thinking about getting into battlefield on the PC, since I bought 1943 for the 360, and everybody on there pretty much sucks... I mean, I'm not trying to sound like a douchebag, but I haven't once finished outside of the top 3... It's just a fuckin' free-for-all.

I'm trying to decide between 2142 and 2. I've heard 2 is better, but 2142 probably looks better I assume.

Both my copies of BF2 and BF2142 are lying wasted because there are no more servers! They ran them for a year and now they're all gone! No more GameArena, no more Fragnetics, no more EA SG, all GONE!

I'd give you the keys but unfortunately EA locks them to your account without telling you!!

If you were to look at both of them as new games then Battlefield 2 is MUCH more fun and makes you feel like you're really in a chaotic battle on the 64 player servers. However you HAVE to buy the Special Forces expansion pack because everyone who does also gets to use the SF weapons in vanilla BF2. The SF weapons are a completely additional tier of weapons; one for each class, in addition to other shit like flashbangs and stuff. You'll get destroyed if you don't have them SF weapons.

If you know someone who has SF you can give them your account name and password and have them play a match on an SF server and your account will have the weapons unlocked. BF2 also takes AGES to level up. It takes over 400 hours to even unlock the 2nd weapon for all the classes.

However, I fired up BF2 recently to play against the bots and it looked like SHITE. I can't believe I thought it had good graphics LOL. You can't bring yourself to play it with the way it looks in 2009, trust me.

BF2142 has LOADS of unlocks and promotions and you gets medals for all kinds of things. You basically keep playing to unlock the next item, which is doable in a realistic amount of time, unlike BF2 which takes DAYS before you get promoted. BF2142 also looks pretty decent by today's standards. I don't like the atmosphere of some of the maps; they make me feel abandoned and depressed :/
BF2142 is basically your way out when you're done with BF2.