• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Bing: Microsoft's reattempt at a Search Engine

Cryox

Bro.
Now, I am not sure of how many of you know about this, but i saw a commercial for it last night. It is bing, Microsoft's newest search engine.

We took a new approach to go beyond search to build what we call a decision engine. With a powerful set of intuitive tools on top of a world class search service, Bing will help you make smarter, faster decisions. We included features that deliver the best results, presented in a more organized way to simplify key tasks and help you make important decisions faster.
[Read More]

The ad
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HlxLMExPQw[/YT]

The funny thing I think is this:
But
It's
Not
Google

Now in a quick test of searching with the term M for Mature, Bing got the frontpage here as the 4th link while google got it as the 3rd. Now, this is obviously not enough data to prove which is better. I will be testing it out more to see which is more reliable.

But for now, Discuss it!

Cryox

Bro.
Actually the funniest thing is that most people have to google it to find out what it is.

Funny you mention that, I googled Bing just so i could get the right www. .com address, as i didn't want to accidently stumble upon some pr0n website like i almost did when coming here once (changed the .net to .com :confused:)

EvilSeph

Administrator
Bing is great. It's so much better than Google when you actually care about the relevancy and usefulness of the results you get from a search.

Also, the video works fine here.

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
This was one questions in 1vs100 funny enough.
Im staying with google it has never failed me.

Joey

I'm gonna try it, although I probably wont stick with it, since I love the Google Preview firefox extention so much.

It's funny though, the preferences page is almost a 100% carbon copy of Google's preferences page.

Ragnarok

Ill try out Bing for a while since it seems to be better than Live Search and the search results don't have much difference from that of googles

eighty4

The thing is different since Google searches for keywords while bing goes off what you typed and searches for articles that cover the same thing.

Wow, for a search engine that claims to be so different to Google, their search page sure looks the same... I guess News and Maps is swapped around. I tried a couple of basic searches, but Google returned more relevant results. I hope to see better results after beta.

How exactly does Bing produce it's "Best Results", I'm curious.

Colm

Look up the Wikipedia article for SeeqPod. Presumably, it's running on their technology.

Seth

MD Party Room
I think Bing is so cuil lol....

Adiuvo

Bing is alright. Some of the searches give more relevant results, but not many. I'm still going to use Google for the most part, though Bing has replaced Yahoo as my second used search engine.

Cryox

Bro.
Bing is alright. Some of the searches give more relevant results, but not many. I'm still going to use Google for the most part, though Bing has replaced Yahoo as my second used search engine.

Same, although I rarely ever use anything other than Google.

Joey

Who actually uses more than one search engine? When Google fails me, I usually just give up.

Cryox

Bro.
I don't think Google has ever failed me, but if it does I would go to Ask most likely.