• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

BioShock 2

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
A few days ago, 2K launched the viral marketing site for this sequel: There's Something in the Sea

The site leaves some cryptic messages for the public to decipher and I came across a nice write up from CVG.

2K's BioShock 2 teaser campaign is underway, and it won't be too long before we finally unravel all the secrets surrounding the much anticipated return to Rapture. Before then, here's everything we've managed to decipher from the cryptic messages and shady images on 2K's viral site. Possible spoilers ahead...

The Mysterious Kidnappings

"Local fisherman Eamon Clune, 44, and his wife Charlotte (32) were awoken by the sudden shattering of a window in the front room. Moments later, his daughter Maura, age 7, screamed. Mr Clune rushed to investigate the noise only to notice the unknown attacker racing out of the broken window with 'incredible speed'

"Due to the moonless night, Clune was unable to provide a description of the assailant. He notes that the attacker was thin, above average height and wore some kind of 'red light.'" - Newspaper cutting There's Something in the Sea

2m6wie1.jpg

It's 1967, seven years after the events of the first BioShock and a wave of child kidnappings are sweeping coastal towns bordering the Atlantic, each one linked by its own mysterious circumstances.

So far young girls have been snatched in Spain, Ireland, England and France, going by the documentation on the Something in the Sea site, later to be joined by events in the United States on the other side of the water.

It seems that the thin and swift "assailant" (more on that in a moment) described in the newspaper cuttings is searching for something specific in the girls it's targeting, as one story reports a break in at an orphanage full of children, yet only one girl is taken.

The daughters being kidnapped can't possibly be random pickings, so what's special about them? From the evidence so far we know that girls aged between five and seven have been snatched, each with similar appearance. Other than that there's not much documentation linking the children, though it has been discovered that two of the missing share the same surname ('Dumas') and could possibly be related.

Could these children be in any way related to the Little Sisters freed from Rapture seven years ago?

The Red Light

"Last night, a New York bound shipping vessel radioed a general SOS after spotting a rapidly moving red light underwater 50 miles offshore, described as resembling an 'underwater flare'." - Newspaper cutting

3145uvm.jpg

Wherever there's a kidnapping, it seems a "mysterious red light" in the sea is never far away. So far every kidnapping along the Atlantic coastline in Europe and North America has been accompanied by a sighting of the light. So what is it?

Of course now that we know what the assailant - the "Big Sister" - looks like, it's possible that the red light is simply the creature's helmet as she travels the sea floor. Unlikely, considering the short time between kidnappings along the coast, but possible.

One Spanish sailor reports encountering a "submerged vehicle" near the Atlantic. "While trying to avoid its approach, he nearly capsized his small vessel," says one paper report. Could the "red light" be some kind of submarine?

The light is reported to move at a speed of around 30 knots - roughly the speed of a nuclear sub. Another interesting link is the town the first incident occurs in; Liscannor. This is the the birthplace of engineer John Philip Holland, creator of the first submarine to be commissioned by the US. Coincidence? We think not.

The "Big Sister"

"The Children of St. Lutgardis Orphanage claim that a 'skinny monster' with a single red glowing eye invaded their quarters and abducted six-year-old Chantal Dumas.

"Little is known of the kidnapper except that the individual may be unusually thin, over two meters in height, and should be considered armed and dangerous." - Newspaper cutting

2i7a3q9.jpg

Most witness descriptions point to one of Rapture's iconic Big Daddies as the mysterious assailant behind the kidnappings... but it's clear this is not the kind of Daddy we remember.

The "Big Sister", as it's being dubbed, is described as "skinny", over 2 metres tall with dexterity and "incredible speed". We also know that it's intelligent; one newspaper report in Felixstowe, UK describes a window entry of "extreme precision", with little evidence of entry left behind. All sightings describe a single red light attached to the assailants head.

The first update on Something in the Sea shows a hand-made child's toy "of most singular design" discovered on a nearby beach, said to resemble the peculiar being.

There was also a discovery of strange, small footprints on the neighbouring sand alongside the item. "The metallic soles do not resemble any civilian or military footgear," claims the man on the scene, pointing out the assailant's "unusually long stride."

So what exactly is a "Big Sister"? So far there's no official answer but one possibility lies with the fate of Bridgette Tenenbaum, the genetic scientist who created Adam and helped you free the Little Sisters from Rapture. Tenenbaum's fate is unclear at the end of the first BioShock, but it's likely she was left behind as the only intelligent being alone in the city.

Now this is going out on a limb, but we reckon if we were left alone in an underwater dystopia, full of crazy murderers and mutants for seven years... we'd go a bit mental. And it's possible that Tenenbaum has too. In her insanity has the good doctor suited up and gone on a quest to snatch back her children? That's where our money is, anyway.

The crowd that seemed to enjoy the first one was hit or miss. For those that really enjoyed the new play on the FPS by adding in the plasmid abilities, this title should be very welcomed. Even if you didn't enjoy the first one, the plot of this sequel might be enough to draw in some curious naysayers.

twelve

I'm not dead
Agreed with both. I played it on 360 then traded it on for PS3 to get the trophies and DLC.

Scorned

Agreed with everyone, except ive beaten the original on the PC.

Ill be getting it on the PS3 though.

Cryox

Bro.
agree with you all X 10. o_O yeah, i win.

but anyways, this is a definite buy for me. BioShock 1 was amazing. I couldn't get enough of that game.

And after reading about the first paragraph or so in that article, i knew it was Tenenbaum.

Can't wait for the release!

Robby

Los Doyers!
Yea I love Bioshock so I will most likely get this.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
By that I just thought it meant that the information was exclusive to the magazine.

I agree, that's how I read it as well. At the very minimum, we know it's going to be out on the PS3, which is good for some people. I would be very surprised if it was a true PS3 exclusive or timed PS3 exclusive, but you never know.

twelve

I'm not dead
The PS3 did get exclusive DLC for the first game, I took that more as a condolence for having to wait over a year for it though. But I suppose it could have been an indication of what's to come with the series.

I'd still be shocked if it went exclusive or timed-exclusive though.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Initial reports coming in from the GI issue is that there are NO Big Daddy's in this game and only one Big Sister. The game will also feature co-op play and revisit portions of the first game with some new enemies like spliced dogs and bi-pedal robots that can be hacked like things in the first game. Also, some giant squid boss encounter is mentioned in the issue.

My copy hasn't arrived yet, so I can't verify it and I can't find any scans of the article yet.

twelve

I'm not dead
It would make sense that there are no big daddy's seeing as they were killed so easily in the first one. So whoever is running rapture has designed the big sister as a better version. And if there's only one then it's probably a prototype that's running wild.

Seth

MD Party Room
The latest issue of Game Informer (which should be hitting subscribers mailboxes any day now) has tons of new info on 2K’s BioShock 2. While there are no huge spoilers here, fans wanting to know absolutely nothing about the game may want to avert their eyes.
-You play as Jake Abbott a private investigator searching for one of the girls kidnapped by Big Sister.
- Jake won’t be the only one investigating Rapture. At some point in the story, Soviet agents arrive from a submarine, hoping to acquire Adam and use it to gain an advantage over the Americans in the Cold War. Soviet enemies will be much smarter than splicers, using cover and flanking maneuvers and working in groups. As the game progresses they will begin splicing themselves and be able to use plasmids against you. The Soviets and splicers will fight against each other and the player can use that to their advantage. ”
-Game takes place in 1967, 7 years after the original
-A cutscene starts the game off In New York City as Jack intercepts the Big Sister kidnapping his daughter in his beachhouse. He follows it to the near by shores as it submerges into the water
- Epic boss battles and underwater gameplay. Much of Rapture is now flooded and you will need to don a diving suit to explore these areas as well as venture outside Rapture itself. An underwater boss fight was shown with a gigantic squid, which can cloak itself and use its massive tentacles to smash into Rapture and hurl debris. One of the concept artworks hinted at a boss battle with a mutated, spliced rhino in Rapture’s zoo.
Solving the whole Big Sister debate:
-Only one Big Sister (Mastermind of game)
-Big Daddies are no longer in the game, but new enemies include dogs and soviets
Some other goodies
-Completely new levels of Rapture, including a fully explorable zoo.
-Underwater exploration levels
-New weapons and plasmids (Including a telepathy and time control)
-Challenge maps
-2 Player co-op. (No mention on who second player is)
-New Health and Revival System
New 2 player co-op sounds interesting, but no Big Daddies?!

BioShock 2 Details Surface [update: name correction]Deeko News

twelve

I'm not dead
Big Problems With The Bioshock 2 Rumors On The 'Net

GI said:
The Bioshock 2 news that is running around the web is quite...interesting.
While we can't confirm or deny anything that is being said, let us give you a quick piece of advice: don't believe everything you read from some dude on the Internet.

If people had actually read the Bioshock 2 cover story from this month's issue...well, you will see how it matches up with the real deal when it arrives this weekend, as the rumors floating around are so amazingly wrong on a very "big" point. Watch for the magazine in stores and in mailboxes this weekend, so you will have your information soon enough.

Notice the emphasis on big. So either there are Big Daddy's or there's more than one Big Sister.