• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Buying a PS3 (Help)

Brad

Yoshimi
Alright I meet someone who is willing to sell me his 60 GB PS3 with HDMI cable for 250$ flat USA.

What you think? Anything I should look for when buying a used unit? Good or bad price? I see new 80 GB's at best buy for 400 + tax.

Riorio99

It's a good price, but you might want to arrange to check it out first, as it seems fairly low.
Just generally check everything works.

Slasher

Suck It
Definitely do it.

So long as it works(turns on, runs a game), it should be fine.

twelve

I'm not dead
So long as it runs disc based games you're golden. If it fails to load discs then it's got a dodgy bluray laser.

Why's he selling it anyway?

Bran

Yell
twelve said:
So long as it runs disc based games you're golden. If it fails to load discs then it's got a dodgy bluray laser.

Why's he selling it anyway?
Probably needs the money. I'm always tempted to sell my PS3.

twelve

I'm not dead
z357x said:
Probably needs the money. I'm always tempted to sell my PS3.
lol ever since I sold my gamecube to pay my car insurance I've vowed never to sell a console again. Mainly because I ended up buying another one 3 months later.

If I were to sell a console nowadays tho the Wii would be first out

Bran

Yell
Yeah I'd sell "my" Wii but it's technically my gf's Wii I bought for her...

And things aren't going too terribly well there right now so I'd rather not stir that pot.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
Make sure you test it.

I've encountered people trying to sell PS3's with broken bluetooth (controllers and headsets wont work unless connected), laser won't read blurays, laser wont read PS3 games ect

So if you can bring a game + bluray just to make sure

Seth

MD Party Room
It a good deal. It just depends how well you know this friend. And how well he takes care of his stuff.
and be sure to test the thing out

Brad

Yoshimi
Works for best buy and said he just doesn't play it much.

SO it be mine now :D

Seth

MD Party Room
Sweet PSN?

Brad

Yoshimi
Access_Denied said:
Be careful. I bought a 60GB PS3 for cheap, and it had all kinds of overheating problems. They're hard as hell to fix too.

So far so good. No issues

Brad

Yoshimi
So guys I'm interested in possible new firmware releases. I know a list prob does not exist but what was Sony saying they "may" allow in the future?

They worked something out with DivX I heard. And DivX released there new player with built in .mkv support (Format I use allot) so I was thinking they possibly may bring this over to the ps3 to play native in the future sense it already allows DivX and Xvid. Any ideas on future updates?

Nero

Mmmm...cookies
Brad said:
So guys I'm interested in possible new firmware releases. I know a list prob does not exist but what was Sony saying they "may" allow in the future?

They worked something out with DivX I heard. And DivX released there new player with built in .mkv support (Format I use allot) so I was thinking they possibly may bring this over to the ps3 to play native in the future sense it already allows DivX and Xvid. Any ideas on future updates?

I think it can already play Divx but supporting .mkv format would be so awesome.

RoBz

sucker
Nero said:
I think it can already play Divx but supporting .mkv format would be so awesome.
So true...
But it's an open source container so I doubt Sony will ever allow it.