• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Change GPU Fan Speed

Recently, I've noticed that my GPU temperatures have increased under load. From 70 C under load, to now almost 85 C. This recently came about from a driver upgrade, (195.62), which I suspect to be the culprit. Regardless, I wanted to increase the fan spin speed in order to remove the heat faster, but was unable to. It appears to be stuck at 35%, never altering, even idle or load.

I've tried a number of tools to change the speed; nTune, RivaTuner, EVGA Precision, ATITool (Both 0.26 & 0.27b3). None of these were able to alter the fan speed (Logged by GPU-Z). They all simply revert back to 35, as soon as the change is applied.

I'm doubting it's hardware related, it's a Gigabyte 9800 GTX+, with 1GB GDDR3 and a zalman cooler (not installed by me, but by Gigabyte). Should I roll back the drivers and see if that resolves the issue or does someone have a solution?

-chw42-

Like a Boss
I would definitely roll the drivers back.

Well, I tried but I think I went too far, now all Fan Speed settings are disabled...

I went to Forceware 177.98, figured I return to the stock, manufacture-given drivers. I'm going to try sweeping again, and going back to 195.62.