• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Chrono Cross: The Quest

DeeEmm

Yes, you read right, Chrono Cross ladies and gentlemen.

It's been approximately 5 hours of sheer tutorials and errors, but I have garnered 0 results as of this night, or your day depending on your time zone.

It's amazing but I have tried my absolute hardest to make this title compatible with my PHAT 4.01 m33-2 PSP, modded with Kernel 1.5, which means zilch of course.

I swear I'm raging at this point. I've never been so frusturated in my life about something so trivial.

Now for the Journey:
1. Getting the EBOOT.PNB on the PSP is simple and straight forward, I even got to have the images and batches:
http://popsdb.twystneko.com/list.php?id=6
Which look superb, and sound fantastic, I'm quite jovial that I've actually found the way to use PSX2PSP to good use, yes that's using 1.4.2.
2. Converting into a folder under the same Save and Game ID I found worked pretty swell as the Playstation 1 boot up just fine, under the current POPSLOADER 3.80.
3. But here's where it gets wierd, the screen goes black and never comes back if I'm on Disc 1... But... If I get too Disc 2... It goes straight to the game. OH SNAP WAIT WHAT? Yes, it works on Disc 2 and gets me right up to the nicely built screen.
4. That's swell and I even got the chance to switch to Disc 2 when it needed it. Great! But when I get to the character change name screen and finish, it goes STRAIGHT TO BLACK! In other words, the intro freezes and it's sad panda for me.

That's the Journey and I've tried so many different settings, I even found the way to change PopsLoader settings, meaning that I can get to 3.72 and yes, I have tried this as well. The only thing that works still is working Disc 2 and making my way back to Disc 1. But still hitting a lovely no go on the intro for said game.

People have made this work and I know this for a fact, but it's never outright explained the details of HOW.

I used an in depth sheet of the things working and not working with recent and older firewares in order to figure out what could be done, sadly no results. For the page in question please refer too:
"http://www.gamerspress.com/index.php?title=PSX_on_PSP_Compatibility_List"

For this specific game in question I'll be referring to exactly how screwy Chrono Cross has been to work on the PSP from the Compatibility List found on the site:
(Quicknote: Yes, I have used these methods, garnering the same results as seen above.)

- Chrono Cross
- SLUS-01041
- NTSC-U

-3.40: Use GameID SLPS-01222. It will appear a little laggy, but it's less likely to freeze. Update: Use GameID SCUS-94640, it's much better.

-3.51: Use GameID SCUS-94640.

-3.52: The game will freeze when accessing the character status.

-3.71: Update by GamerbyDesign: Tested on 3.71 M33 with SLUS-01041 & SLPS-01222 it does not freeze when accessing character status, however it does freeze in the first boss battle against Mama Komodo. If you use GameID SCUS-94640 it wont freeze after Mama Komodo, but going to character status it will freeze.

-3.72: Use popsloader to run 3.72 pops. With GameID SCUS-94640 it wont freeze on character status or the first boss Mama Komodo! It REALLY matters what converter you use to make the eboot. Read Here for more information on what converter to use.

-3.90: Intro movie does not load on the first disc. Use 3.80 popsloader to run 3.72 pops.

-3.90: tested on my 3.90 psp and worked perfectly. i am using original the actual game id and i have both discs in one eboot. By LordJovanius

-4.01: Status screen freezing both with original and 94640. Loading 3.72 instead fixes it.

It's incredibly in depth and I'm thankful, but unfortunately this doesn't hit my concern which is indeed the title screen on Chrono Cross that freezes on DISC1, which seems to work fine on DISC2. And DISC1 intro just goes black as you have read above.

Oh and I am using Sony NP9660 on the M33 VSH Menu.

Thank you, for reading the quest for Chrono Cross, and I hope someone out there in Exophase can finish this for me, and with that in mind...I truly hope someone can figure out what I haven't.

Recin

I haven't yet been able to get it working, but I managed to get FF8 (currently listed as not working) running just fine using alternate game ID's. I ended up running the FF7 id to get it working properly.

Keep in mind when you use a different ID, you are enabling.disabling different options and patches for individual games themselves - your using a game ID designed for another game.

Haven't played with CC yet (but I plan to) but what I do suggest is to simply keep trying new Game ID's.

Try the Legend of Dragoon ID, for example.