• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Counter Strike controller

B

Bizarre

Ok so just a simple question, I recently got counter strike and I was able to register my PS3 controller onto my computer, however it doesn't work in CS, so my question is, is there like a mod or patch or anything really to allow the usage of my DS3?

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Does your PS3 controller work in Other programs?

B

Bizarre

@Trigun well it worked in the calibration test so I'm assuming it does

@xploren this is my first PC shooter game I've ever played, so I'm not the greatest and 10 years worth of playing on a controller really sticks to you :p

xploren

Contributor
@Trigun well it worked in the calibration test so I'm assuming it does

@xploren this is my first PC shooter game I've ever played, so I'm not the greatest and 10 years worth of playing on a controller really sticks to you :p

Trust me, for a quick-paced game like Counter-Strike, mouse and keyboard is the best way to play. But if you really insist, go to Options then Mouse (IIRC), and turn the joystick on. You'll probably be able to play with your controller, then.

B

Bizarre

Ok I'll try it when I get back home, thanks for the help.

---------- Post added at 03:03 AM EST ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 AM EST ----------

Ok so I got as far as making my player look around using the left analog stick but thats about it, I tried changing the keys and then pressing any button on my controller doesn't do anything.

Joey

Nick, Counter Strike is probably the last game you should play if you're not used to playing with mouse and keyboard. Hell, honestly, you probably should jump into at this point at all, no matter what you experience with mouse and keyboard is.

If I was you, I'd get a single player FPS (IE Half-Life 2), and get used to the controls. It takes 2-3 hours, but you'll figure it out, I promise.

Then, honestly, I'd move up to Team Fortress 2, or Call of Duty 4 if I was you. Maybe even Battle Field Heroes, since it's free. I'm actually quite good with Mouse and Keyboard, and I still get absolutely dominated in Counter Strike. Only dedicated people still play that game, and they're like idiot savants. You're not going to have fun playing that game.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I'd like to mention Quake Live here...since it's free and it's not saturated with "pro's" like CSS is just yet. You can also play it straight from your browser.

CSS can be a fun game but only if you know what you're doing and it's a lot harder to get a grasp on it if you're frustrated from getting killed all the time (which you will be, no offence)

B

Bizarre

No offense taken.
Anyways you guys clearly know what your talking about so I got half-life 2 downloading and I'll work my way up from there, thanks for all the tips, help etc.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
No offense taken.
Anyways you guys clearly know what your talking about so I got half-life 2 downloading and I'll work my way up from there, thanks for all the tips, help etc.

not a problem. I'd also recommend getting tf2 since mfm has it's own tf2 server as well ;)

EvilSeph

Administrator
I'd like to mention Quake Live here...since it's free and it's not saturated with "pro's" like CSS is just yet. You can also play it straight from your browser.

CSS can be a fun game but only if you know what you're doing and it's a lot harder to get a grasp on it if you're frustrated from getting killed all the time (which you will be, no offence)

LOL. Quake Live is filled with more real "pros" than CS:S and CS combined at this point... especially with QuakeCon having recently happened. You'll mostly find hackers, griefers and pubstars when playing CS:S and CS right now but I think you'll find it more easier to deal with and learn from...

*If* you want to get into FPS gaming...the fastest way is to hop on a deathmatch server and play, adjusting sensitivity, crosshair colour etc. until you feel comfortable. Or you can play quake...but I can guarantee you'll be more frustrated with that when you are constantly dominated by other players purely because they can out-maneuver and out-smart you; aim not playing any part at all.

Oh and ditch the controller and opt for a mouse and keyboard.

Don't get me wrong, Quake Live is a great game but it gets really old after a while when you keep getting opponents than can bunny hop, strafe jump, rocket jump, plasma jump and predict where you're going to be on all maps. Even if you had the best aim in the world, you'd still be hard pressed to even damage them at all.

AndyMosh

2 Cups Win, 1 Cup Lulz.
What I would try is going into options and binding the keys seperately, see if CS:S recognizes the buttons.

Go into Options, Keyboard and Select "Fire Weapon" and Edit the Key, then press what you want on your controller, might work I don't know.

EvilSeph

Administrator
But anyway, back to the topic at hand...

What version of Windows are you running?
What Counter-Strike are you running? Source? 1.6?

I'm quite certain you *can* use a PS3 controller with Counter-Strike: Source but I have never done so myself.

How knowledgeable are you with PCs? Are you able to use your PS3 controller on your PC with other games already?

AndyMosh

2 Cups Win, 1 Cup Lulz.
if he can get software to make the buttons on the PS3 controller, to be mapped so they can get binded to functions, he shouldn't have a problem.

B

Bizarre

But anyway, back to the topic at hand...

What version of Windows are you running?
What Counter-Strike are you running? Source? 1.6?

I'm quite certain you *can* use a PS3 controller with Counter-Strike: Source but I have never done so myself.

How knowledgeable are you with PCs? Are you able to use your PS3 controller on your PC with other games already?

I'm running Vista SP2 and I have 1.6.
My knowledge with PCs is probably a bit more then the average person. Well I don't have any other games on my comp thats the only one.

But many people are telling me just to use the mouse and keyboard so I'll listen to you guys. :p

MenaceInc

Staff Member
LOL. Quake Live is filled with more real "pros" than CS:S and CS combined at this point... especially with QuakeCon having recently happened. You'll mostly find hackers, griefers and pubstars when playing CS:S and CS right now but I think you'll find it more easier to deal with and learn from...

*If* you want to get into FPS gaming...the fastest way is to hop on a deathmatch server and play, adjusting sensitivity, crosshair colour etc. until you feel comfortable. Or you can play quake...but I can guarantee you'll be more frustrated with that when you are constantly dominated by other players purely because they can out-maneuver and out-smart you; aim not playing any part at all.

Oh and ditch the controller and opt for a mouse and keyboard.

Don't get me wrong, Quake Live is a great game but it gets really old after a while when you keep getting opponents than can bunny hop, strafe jump, rocket jump, plasma jump and predict where you're going to be on all maps. Even if you had the best aim in the world, you'd still be hard pressed to even damage them at all.

the quotation marks were my attempt to portray sarcasm over the medium of text but that obviously failed.
the points about the old quake players going on quake live and knowing the maps though are very good ones and honestly were not something that I thought about at the time I posted what I said.

EvilSeph

Administrator