• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Crytek Buys Free Radical

Seth

MD Party Room
Timesplitters and Haze developer Free Radical has been bought by Crytek developers of Far Cry and Crysis. I wonder how great there new shooters will be now? Hope this mean a new timesplitters is going to look better than ever,but still keep the fun gameplay.

Acquisitions: Crytek Buys Free Radical

Adiuvo

That actually sounds pretty good. They're both great companies, and are sure to make some interesting games.

twelve

I'm not dead
I'm kinda less bothered about TS4 now. I wanna know whether they're going to continue Battlefront 3, I must battle Darth Obi-Wan.

Seth

MD Party Room
I'm kinda less bothered about TS4 now. I wanna know whether they're going to continue Battlefront 3, I must battle Darth Obi-Wan.

But that being dev by Rebellion Developments....Or did I miss something?

twelve

I'm not dead
But that being dev by Rebellion Developments....Or did I miss something?
I guess you have seeing as it's a Free Radical game and always has been.

It was never announced but stuff was leaked once FRD went bust.

Joey

I guess you have seeing as it's a Free Radical game and always has been.

It was never announced but stuff was leaked once FRD went bust.

Wikimedia Error

"Star Wars: Battlefront III is the fourth installment in the Star Wars: Battlefront series (third excluding Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron). It was originally speculated that Free Radical Design would be developing the game, after announcing that they were working on a "Secret LucasArts Project" on August 23, 2006.[2] However on December 18th, 2008, Free Radical Design announced that their company had gone into administration, and that the project had been handed down to Rebellion Developments, the developers behind Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron."

Although, with Free Radical's new found stability, maybe they'll get back on the project.

Bran

Yell
THANK GOD! I so want TS4, and the animation and tech in Battle Front 3 looked awesome.

twelve

I'm not dead
Crysis was pretty much a benchmarking tool made into a full game.

I enjoyed what I played of it but the only reason I bought it was to see how it would run on my machine.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
so does this mean that Timesplitters 4 will be released on PC and require next years supercomputer to run?

D:

jk, should be interesting what Crytek bring to the Timesplitters series if anything.

The damage has been done though already since IIRC David Doak and Steve Ellis has left Free Radical to form Pumpkin Beach. Call me crazy but I reckon that Free Radical/Crytek UK won't be the same without them.

Seth

MD Party Room
so does this mean that Timesplitters 4 will be released on PC and require next years supercomputer to run?

D:

jk, should be interesting what Crytek bring to the Timesplitters series if anything.

The damage has been done though already since IIRC David Doak and Steve Ellis has left Free Radical to form Pumpkin Beach. Call me crazy but I reckon that Free Radical/Crytek UK won't be the same without them.

I dident know they left and made a new team...Do you know what there working on?

user friendly

Free Radical Design purchase accelerates Crytek's console plans

Crysis developer Crytek has told GamesIndustry.biz that the acquisition of Free Radical Design will accelerate the developer's plans to enter the console market.

Crytek is well-regarded for its high-end PC games, while the Free Radical team in the UK has extensive experience working on multiple home consoles with titles such as Haze, TimeSplitters and Second Sight.

"We always planned to enter the console market and it was part of our strategy even before the acquisition. This step will certainly bring us forward a bit faster to achieve our goal to develop high quality games on consoles," said Cevat Yerli, president and CEO of Crytek.

Free Radical Design was working on TimeSplitters 4 before falling into administration last year, but Crytek would not comment on specific projects, stating that "at the moment we're looking into all possibilities and haven't decided anything yet."

However, the UK studio is now staffing up in anticipation of a full-blown project, with Yerli confirming work is about to begin on a project at the newly renamed Crytek UK.

"Right now we're looking at 42 people and intend to bring the studio to full production capability in the near future,