• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Disk reading errors and crashing mid-game

Bulgar Trev

This problem started with MGS 4 the other day, when it crashed during a cutscene. From then on its gotten progressively worse, sometimes the game appears as corrupted data and i get the 80010514 error code when i try to start the game sometimes. Now its happening with GTA IV, and my BR drive is making a "clunking" noise. Here's a vid of what's happening.

Does anyone know what's up? Is my blu-ray drive on the way out? Or could it be something as simple as dusty lens?

eldiablov

Contributor
I'd advise you to ring sony and bitch about it. I can't see this problem being solved with compressed air.

twelve

I'm not dead
Dust does not cause clunking. Unless your dust is the size of ball bearings.

Call Sony. If it's out of warranty then I think it's

twelve

I'm not dead
From what i've read the replacements that Sony sent out aren't too great and break down again, and you only get a 3 month warranty apparently. I think, if i'm gonna bother with another i might try sell this one and buy another.
They're refurbished models and have a full years warranty on them.

The other option is to open up your PS3 and replace the bluray drive yourself. From what I've heard it's not particularly difficult.

Bulgar Trev

Meh. I took it to CEX and they gave me 140 quiddies! So i just bought a new 80GB one with 2 years warranty.

Some poor bugger's gonna get a knackered PS3 from CEX :D

twelve

I'm not dead
Could've got more on ebay selling it as faulty. People buy them, replace the bluray drive and then sell them on for profit. Problem is you don't get a fast turnaround that way.

Bulgar Trev

Could've got more on ebay selling it as faulty. People buy them, replace the bluray drive and then sell them on for profit. Problem is you don't get a fast turnaround that way.

They said it was all good at CEX :laugh:

But the price of a new one was 300 quid with 2 games, so it really only cost the same as a repair, except i got a new one! :w00t:

twelve

I'm not dead
True. Nicely done.

Don't CEX test them though? They tested out all the instruments in Rock Band when I traded that in.

LocutusEstBorg

WHAT?!

I have no idea what you just said, but it no longer matters :p

The 360's drive's firmware contains a cryptographic "key" that corresponds to your console. Thus the drive will only work with your console. If you change the drive you need to extract your key from the drive and flash it to the new drive.

The PS3 doesn't have this protection.

Bulgar Trev

The 360's drive's firmware contains a cryptographic "key" that corresponds to your console. Thus the drive will only work with your console. If you change the drive you need to extract your key from the drive and flash it to the new drive.

The PS3 doesn't have this protection.

And this is important to the subject of this topic why?