• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Do I get a iPhone 3GS or HTC Dream

Sliderkk

I want a touch screen smartphone but I am torn over iPhone with a great app store and many features or a HTC Dream with an open source OS and great features with many programming opportunities.

(the HTC Dream is known as the T-Mobile G1 in the United States)

Bill

I suppose that would depend on your intentions. Personally, I'd go with the HTC. For someone else, I'd say iPhone. So, go with the iPhone.

twelve

I'm not dead
If you're wanting an iPhone then just get the iPhone. I considered other phones and in the end I got another HTC phone for a third of the price of an iPhone. It left me wanting an iPhone more so now about 4 months later I've just bought an iPhone.

If you just get the iPhone to start off with you save money in the long run.

Joey

I have a G1... Get an iPhone if you can. The Apps for Android are pretty lame, and the battery for the G1 is ass.

I'd trade in my G1 for an iPhone 3Gs any day. I have the original 2G iPhone, but the screen is cracked, and it doens't detect touch on certain parts. Even with it's broken headphone jack, I'd prefer it.

unlockingsky

depending what your priority is. for data priority: go with htc if you're in tmobile or iphone if you're in att. i don't care much but functionality so i have a iphone 3gs waiting to be unlocked. lol.

Seth

MD Party Room
The iphone 3gs is faster,slimmer,way better battery, way better apps, is hackable, comes with 16gbs, works with Itunes, does video, is a better mp3 player, has setro bluethooth. has a a real fm tunner.

Iphone 3gs
  • Slim
  • Faster
  • Better battery
  • Better App store
  • Hackble
  • 16 gbs come with it
  • Itunes Support
  • Camcoder / better cam
  • Way better U.I
  • Is a real mp3 player
  • AD2P
  • Has support for a FM tunner, docks, cases, and way more!

G1
  • Tmoble
  • Real keyboard
  • suport for up micro sd
  • cheaper
  • Way better Google apps like gmail, Maps...

Bill

So I had never actually SEEN the G1, I just assumed it was like all the other HTC products, i.e. windows mobile and so forth. Guess I was wrong. Go with the friggin iPhone.

Sliderkk

Do you think I could tether the PSP Go to the 3GS?

Proxin

It depends what you are looking for.
I have personally had experiences with both the iPhone 2G (not 3GS) and the HTC Dream. I have a few things to point out that haven't been addressed in this thread.
First of all, someone mentioned that the iPhone is hackable. The G1 (Dream) is hackable as well, only it is referred to as gaining "root access".
Now, for analysis.

I got a HTC Dream as a T-Mobile contract upgrade, but later on I bought a used iPhone off of Craigslist. I unlocked and jailbroke it asap, I can't stand being closed into Apple's little money booby-traps everywhere.
I can tell you the browser is certainly more usable in the iPhone than in the Dream. However, don't expect Flash implementation into it for a LONG time, if at all. If you'll notice, most of the games on the Appstore are just flash games made for the iPhone, including the most-downloaded game Moron Test. If Apple implemented Flash support, people would not buy these apps as much, because it's the same (dare I say, crappy) game, but for free on a browser.
Now, the HTC Dream does not have flash yet either, however, select builds DO have it implemented, but they require you to root (hack) the Dream.
The hacking/unlocking/jailbreaking/rooting process is STUPIDLY easy on the iPhone, with just collecting a few files and a few button clicks here and there. Take into account that many people with iPhones are Apple users, which means that generally they want things simple and easy. Therefore, the devs for redsn0w have to cater to these people as the majority.
For the Dream, you have to get your hands dirty a little more. Since it is a Linux-based platform, people expect you to have a little bit of experience with Linux commands and such. There are more than enough tutorials floating around on the XDA forums for rooting the G1, though.
File browsing is a big hassle for me on the iPhone. Once again, Apple has an extremely closed system, and they don't want you to be able to crack any apps or anything, so they only show the everyday user the storage they can drag and drop files onto as a removable flash drive-sort of thing.
On the G1, it is somewhat similar (they don't let you easily access the system files unless it's rooted), but not as hard to put things such as music onto it. You can easily drag and drop your own ringtones onto the phone, and use a free app called Ringdroid to edit the tracks on the phone.
A few features that come standard on the G1 can only be accessed if you hack your iPhone, such as MMS and video capturing. I almost never use my camera or video on the G1 so the latter was still pretty useless to me.
I have yet to try tethering on the iPhone (2G doesn't support tethering), but on the G1, if you root it, you can easily tether your connection with a free app found on the XDA developers forum.
An amazing feature that works beautifully well on the iPhone is the Multitouch capability, especially in Google Earth. Multitouch comes stock on the iPhone, while G1 users must root their phones in order to use a not-so-usable Multitouch in only a select few apps (PhoneMyPC, Browser, and a few demos are all I know of so far). It's rather more of an "Achievement Unlocked" feel that you get with Multitouch on G1 than an "I can actually USE this" feel.
Background services. There's ups and downs about them. Just like on a computer, if you run 4 games at the same time while trying to browse Facebook and YouTube while Twittering, you are going to experience lag! On the G1, the same concept applies. One app I highly recommend is the Advanced Task Manager to close apps you aren't using in the background. This requires root (last I checked, it did) so it's smart to get root on your phone to save battery AND to un-lag your phone.
On the jailbroken iPhone, you can enable backgrounding for select apps if you hold the Home button once the app is open. You can also get a task manager application on the iPhone.
Widgets. The G1 comes with shortcut and widget capability on the 3 built-in home screens (you can get additional home screens by certain apps on the Market). I have an FML widget on the left screen, clock widget on the middle screen, and picture frame widget on the right screen (allows me to see my lovely girlfriend... or yours ;P -jk)
The iPhone has all of its apps located on its different home screens, so there's not really a need for widgets unless you want to see text displayed from a Twitter/RSS feed (which you can do with a mod to the iPhone lock screen to show Tweets).
This brings me to another difference, themes and wallpapers. The iPhone (unhacked) is picky about what you can theme. You can select a wallpaper for the lockscreen, but not much else from what I've seen. On the G1, you can change the wallpaper without installing or hacking anything, and you can change the theme without rooting it (but you have to install a market app).
Screencapping is also a must-have for me. On the iPhone, it's a breeze, you just press Home + Lock (button at the top of it) and it will save the picture to the Camera roll. On the G1, last time I checked, you need root access to take a screenshot, and it's not a keystroke combination either unfortunately. The app I use only has Timed capture. I haven't checked for updates for it in a while though.
Push notifications are generally sparse and uncommon in the apps of the iPhone, but they come stock in many G1 apps. Since it can run background services without being hacked, this is good yet bad (running apps in the background, as I said, might make it lag).
The battery on the iPhone lasts longer than the G1's battery from what I have experienced. The background apps will decrease the battery when it is in standby mode and it lives for 130 hours standby, whereas the iPhone will sit nicely for 300 hours standby.
You can run and install a full Debian Linux on the G1. I haven't looked into Linux on the iPhone to be honest. *Edit: Upon further research (specifically, the "Search" button), I've found that there is Linux for the iPhone, however it is a port. The Debian Linux install on the G1 is a fully operational install, not a port. You can find more information on iPhone Linux in this thread.
Games on the iPhone completely obliterate games on the G1. Graphics are wonderful on the iPhone, however this is limited by the fact that there are no buttons, and I have to take up part of the screen by my fat fingers pressing imaginary buttons to steer my beautifully-rendered 3D car into other drivers. Emulators, on the other hand, are much more well-coded on the G1. I tried the most recent build of the GBA emulator on the iPhone, and it lagged much more on Pokemon - Fire Red than on the G1. Specific bugged features were laggy sound, and savestate problems (you can't have more than 20 savestates, and you can't overwrite save states). The G1 GBA emulator is $3.99, while the iPhone GBA emulator is $5.99. On the G1 GBA emulator, I have only noticed lag in some games (don't expect Golden Sun 1 or 2 to ever work on iPhone OR G1), and most of the lag, if not all of it, was when there was network activity going on in the background.
Both the Android market and the Appstore are cluttered by useless apps. On the G1 it has soundboards, fake fart-apps, slideshow apps and home screen togglers, while on the iPhone it has a bunch of poke-the-monkey flash games and lightsaber apps that not even my 6 year old cousin would pay 50 cents of his allowance for.
The Appstore charges $99 to publish an app, or $399 to be able to choose which devices can have your application.
The Android Market only requires a one-time fee of $25 to put your own developed apps on the Market.
The speaker of the iPhone is not as strong as the speaker for the G1. You can do volume hacks on both of them, but comparing the hacked volume of the iPhone to the hacked volume of the G1, the G1's is still loudest.
Customization is a big thing to me. In the picture I linked to, that's just my un-themed, default homescreen that I got a pleasant wallpaper slapped onto, and it goes well with the default. Now, the wallpaper is just one of many things you can customize on the G1. You can change alert vibration types, alert sounds (you can do this with the iPhone too), and even the color of the LED that blinks when it gets certain notifications. With the iPhone, you can change the sounds but the vibration is a single hard-to-feel sequence that many times leaves me unaware I have a new message.
I am a sucker for hardware keyboards. I definitely prefer this feature above that of software keyboards. However, the iPhone's software keyboard is extremely well-crafted. I still long for the feel of a physical keyboard, but the iPhone's software keyboard is definitely not something to complain about in it. The dictionary, however, is a bit lacking for me. For example, for some reason, my iPhone thinks whenever I spell "me", I am really intending to spell "mr". This is troublesome and I don't know any way to fix it.
A big downside of the G1 that's been mentioned a lot is that it doesn't have a headphone port. I dislike this feature just as much as anyone else. However, I reason it out this way: If it had a headphone port, I would listen to music on it, which would decrease the battery life even faster. That's still a fault on the G1's end because of its bad battery life though.
The iPhone 2G doesn't have a normal headphone port either, but that's much more fixable than the G1's overall lack of one. And, most stores sell iPhone-compatible headphones now, and the 3G/3GS don't even need to have a specific type of headphone.
About unlocking the phones for use with different carriers. The iPhone, I feel, is more easy to do this with, because you can use redsn0w and it's easy as a few button clicks. With the G1, it is also easy, you just have to call T-Mobile and ask for the unlock procedure and by law, they have to do it for you (That's US law, btw). Give some excuse like "I'm going out of the country and need to use a different simcard". I've heard you have to have a T-Mobile contract for 90 days, but I have yet to verify that for sure. More information on that here.
Size can be a deciding factor for many people. For me, I consider the G1 to be a considerably fat phone, even without an extended-life battery sticking out of my pocket looking bigger than my family jewels. The iPhone, on the other hand, is pretty much half the fatness of a G1, so it will fit easily into the pockets of your little emo skinny-jeans. :p Besides the thinness factor, the iPhone is elegant. The silver on the sides adds a nice, easy-on-the-eyes effect that I'm always taken by. Think of it like this... the iPhone is to a Macbook as the G1 is to a decent laptop, as far as 'elegance' goes.
Ask about other features, I'm sure there are things I have left out. I have the G1 sitting around here, but the iPhone is at home at the moment.

Seth

MD Party Room
Wonders if Proxin is going to get the Tmoble Hero!

Btw shame you did all that work for a banned member.

Proxin

Wonders if Proxin is going to get the Tmoble Hero!

Btw shame you did all that work for a banned member.

It needed to be said, if not for other people than just for me to get it out there. Most people are biased one way or the other, I try to just put all the similarities and differences out there and let you decide from there.
I think the interface for Hero is amazing, I've tried out the (ported, scaled down, and overall crappy) ROM on my G1 and found it to be extremely laggy, buggy and unusable. But the UI is still beautiful ;)
It doesn't look like it'll provide a hardware keyboard either.