• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Does sony hate people with crappy connections?

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
alright, first off, my parents bought this TV+PS3 deal, so now i've got a PS3 to use, firstly, PSHome, fucking awesome seriously this is incredible, i love it so much, however lets get to my complaining to people whom can't do anything:

[RANT]
i have a decent dl speed(at least decent compared to the alternatives available to us), of generally 250KB/s to good servers(sony seems to meet this speed from what i've experienced so far), but, my problem is with how the updates are handled, since getting the ps3, i swear, i've spent more time at downloading/installing game updates, then i have actually playing them, most updates are generally over 100megs, and some, have actually been bigger than the game itself was to download.

the thing that get's me though, is why, when i buy this game from the psstore, does it not already come updated?!, i don't understand this at all, and more so, i can't understand why some games have updates which are bigger than the damn game itself!

perhaps i've gotten to used to microsoft's title update system, where most game updates wern't more than 5 megs, compared to with the ps3 games, which generally, their update's are bigger than an 360 console update
[/RANT]

don't get me wrong, i am enjoying the console so far, but this is ridiculous when most updates take about 20 minutes, and sometimes, it's multiple updates!

P.S. GT5 apparently doesn't understand how long 3 seconds are

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Not just that. Have you seen how long it takes for you to be able to move the cursor across the store when the connection is crappy? This weekend I had to wait over 2 minutes between each download to be able to move my cursor again =\

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
PS3 just seems generally laggy to me.
And my connection is 20Mb up and 2Mb down!
PSN sometimes takes forever to open, if you have too many friends on your friends list it literally takes 5 minutes to add or delete someone, and I just seem to have constant screen lag playing Black Ops online...

Robby

Los Doyers!
That's one thing I didn't like about my PS3, the updates. By the time I finished updating Killzone 2 when I got it, I didn't even feel like playing.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Some games that I played it has to download like 2-10 separate updates. I have a pretty fast connection, but still.
Xbox updates are done in less then 30 seconds, PS3 always took me longer.

If you had the game since Day 1 then it wouldn't be a problem since you always had the previous update already downloaded, but if you got the game after it's release, you had to download each update separately.

The PS3's WiFi is abhorrently bad. The connection is simply always slow. Connecting it via Ethernet gets around this, and it behaves like it should.

It's most noticeable when trying to use YouTube or the like; it will simply take ages to download. I tend to always download the software updates on my PC and then use a USB stick to update the PS3, much faster.

It would be nice if you could at least background the download and use the XMB or play the game for a while. You'd think a multithreaded CPU like the CELL would be able to handle this.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
Not just that. Have you seen how long it takes for you to be able to move the cursor across the store when the connection is crappy? This weekend I had to wait over 2 minutes between each download to be able to move my cursor again =\

i haven't had that issue yet
PS3 just seems generally laggy to me.
And my connection is 20Mb up and 2Mb down!
PSN sometimes takes forever to open, if you have too many friends on your friends list it literally takes 5 minutes to add or delete someone, and I just seem to have constant screen lag playing Black Ops online...
i've found the PSN to take a bit to open as well, as for the friends, i haven't added anyone yet, so i haven't experianced the lag with the friends list, i do want to play black ops on the ps3, hopefully my connection can support it.

also, u have better up then down?!

That's one thing I didn't like about my PS3, the updates. By the time I finished updating Killzone 2 when I got it, I didn't even feel like playing.
yea, that's a bit how i feel about GT5, although, that's most likly because i'm not a big racer fan

I have none of these issues, idk what's up with you guys.
lucky=-), but i'm surprised you haven't ran into the multiple updates, or your connection is extremely fast that you don't notice it

Some games that I played it has to download like 2-10 separate updates. I have a pretty fast connection, but still.
Xbox updates are done in less then 30 seconds, PS3 always took me longer.

If you had the game since Day 1 then it wouldn't be a problem since you always had the previous update already downloaded, but if you got the game after it's release, you had to download each update separately.
i wish at the very least when it has multiple updates, they'd download all the updates at once and show the total size of all the downloads.

The PS3's WiFi is abhorrently bad. The connection is simply always slow. Connecting it via Ethernet gets around this, and it behaves like it should.

It's most noticeable when trying to use YouTube or the like; it will simply take ages to download. I tend to always download the software updates on my PC and then use a USB stick to update the PS3, much faster.

It would be nice if you could at least background the download and use the XMB or play the game for a while. You'd think a multithreaded CPU like the CELL would be able to handle this.
with my connection, having it on wireless, or on Ethernet doesn't have much of a diffrence.

i haven't even bothered with youtube, the ps3's browser is imo not built for web browser anything more than a bit of googling, i wish sony would just port over a real browser rather than trying to build there own, or at least re-build their browser to be much better.

yea, and when you can background a download, you can't do anything without the download stopping, so it's rather pointless imo

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
I meant 20Mb down 2Mb up, my bad :p

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

This. I can't even come close to topping out a 10mbit connection via WiFi on the PS3. I'm lucky to get 4mbit average. The router is in the same room, so it's not a signal issue. Ethernet, as you pointed out, is fine.

I'm not sure why. The PSP's WiFi is dirt slow as well. Granted it's only rated for wireless b but still underperforms compared to other devices.

Joey

Zero must have the answer, because my PS3 is 10 times slower than anything I own. My Computer and even my phone (specifically on Wifi) pull shit down from the internet at embarrassingly faster speeds than my PS3. I haven't played my 360 in well over a year, but even that was way faster than my PS3.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Sony just doesn't have very good servers for this it seems like. I've always downloaded updates at a slow ass speed, even with a 100mbit connection...