• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Dual boot Windows 7 and 98

Seth

MD Party Room
It might work but there really only one way to really know and that is to try it out.Windows 7 will provide the dual-boot options - an additional boot manager is not required.

Tho it be hard to say if windows 7 has the drivers for the computer..

The windows 7 bootloader supports NT variants, like XP or Vista, whereas windows 98 is based on MS-DOS. However, it may be possible to use a bootloader that supports more operating systems, like GRUB. I am unsure however if 98 will work in GRUB, but it sounds likely that it will.

Sullivan

Oh, so windows 7 has a dual boot option built in. Can anyone link me, or explain how I can use this feature. I want to dual boot windows 7 on one partition and leopard on the other partition.

Seth

MD Party Room
You need
WIN7 DVD
OSx86 DVD
EasyBCD

Fisrt install windows and create a partition (Fat32) for Mac oS X
After install MacOS (Disk Util->Erase->mac journal customize etc)
When you finish boot from win7 DVD and select repair
Select console (last choice) and type
Diskpart
DISKPART> list disk
DISKPART> select disk 0
DISKPART> list partition
DISKPART> select partition 1
DISKPART> active
exit
exit
Now of main menu select repair (fisrt choice)

When you restart you see your win 7 installation
It's time to see the osx86 installation
Download the EasyBCD from Download EasyBCD 1.7.2 - NeoSmart Technologies
Run it as administrator and go
Add Remove Entries->Add an Entry->Mac->Type:Generic X86 PC, Name:NST Mac OS X
Don't forget save

That's it
After restart you see WIn7 and MacOS both

Msi Wind Forums View topic - Windows 7 and OS X Dual Boot?

mohaas05

Ah, I wasn't sure if I could use EasyBCD with 7.

I just ended up setting up 98 in a VM, but that could be useful if I decide to install OSX86 or some other oddball OS.

Oh, so windows 7 has a dual boot option built in.

All windows 2000, XP, Vista, and 7 have dual boots expect they all different.

oneshibbyguy

aKa LunchBox
What possible reason would you want to boot into Windows 98 in the first place? Its outdated and useless technology Imho. You can go buy a solid rig for 300 dollars anymore and run XP just fine.

Triklops

I think I see where this guy is coming from..I too am running Windows 98 SE on MS Virtual PC..for nostalgic reasons:love::blush::D

@ oneshibbyguy Its true that 16-bit/32-bit monolithic kernel based OSes are a thing of the past but..don't you ever watch old Hollywood movies, like the Errol Flynn ones and wonder they don't make movies like that anymore..well its hard to explain but ur fancy hybrid kernel OSes too will be a thing of the past someday..:closedeyes:

How many uses Sun VirtualBox here?..needa know if its good..

How many uses Sun VirtualBox here?..needa know if its good..

I tried VirtualBox in OSX for a bit of virtualisation, it worked as you'd expect, like VMWare. Good free virtualisation software, i'd reccomend it. I have used VMWare player in windows, which is also free, except it doesen't come with a VM creator. To create one though is simply a matter of creating the set of files necessary, which EasyVMX does for you. They're both free, but I would lean towards VirtualBox, seeing as it's one neat package.

Triklops

Thanks for the lowdown..will give it a shot.

I really hate VMWare Player, messed up my Windows autorun badly last time I installed..hope VBox does nothing of that sort.