• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Duke Nukem 3D

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Here's Chilly Willy's personal build of JFDuke3D for the PSP! Included are the shareware group file and some mini-instruments so you can play right out of the box.

Good news!
- Now sets the CPU to 333MHz.
- No more problem with the pitch of sounds.
- Doesn't crash when generating the music for the next level.
- Quits from the Home button or the game menu without crashing.
- Supports TV out. Hold TRIANGLE button when start from XMB for TV/video options.

Bad news!
- While SDL will now resample the sounds correctly, it takes it longer to do so. There will be a brief hiccup right when Duke3D uses a sound for the very first time (per level).
- To keep timidity from crashing when generating the music for the next level, I had to flush all the SDL sound samples. This exacerbates the first issue with SDL.

My thanks to Wally, Mr. Peanut, and all the others who worked on this before me. This is by no means all my own effort.

EDIT: Great news! I rewrote the SDL_SlowRATE function in SDL. Now the "slow" resampling is nearly as fast as the "fast" resampling. So now there's no hiccup in the game when a sound plays!! This is just the recompiled EBOOT - if you don't yet have Duke3D, get the first archive as well.

EDIT: You need to replace the sawwave.pat in the mini directory with the one in the archive. As was found in ROTT, the instrument in the game archive slows the system down when playing. The replacement does not.

EDIT: The attachments seem not to be valid, so here's the files on my MediaFire account.
Duke3D-PSP-cw2-upd.zip
Duke3D-PSP-cw1-src.zip
Duke3D-PSP-cw1.zip

EDIT: The attachments have been fixed (thanks!), but I'll leave the mediafire links... just in case. Try the attachments first, then if you have some kind of problem, leave a message and try the mediafire links.

Attachments

• Duke3D-PSP-cw1.zip
    9.9 MB · Views: 2,551
  • Duke3D-PSP-cw1-src.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 491
  • Duke3D-PSP-cw2-upd.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,542
  • sawwave.zip
    50.2 KB · Views: 640

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Nice release! :) Duke Nukem is one of my favorites.

midnitdragoon

awesome i notice now theres no skipping with music!!! this is awesome!! =D Quick question whhen im flooded with enemies and the framerate drop thats normal because this build still needs tweaking right? Its not something i did wrong installing? ?Hehe =P i know dumb question.

Edit-why does movement with the stick only let duke walk not run? when i set it to the analog controler and assign each dirrection for movement it runs fast each direction. why is this?

Chilly Willy

Contributor
awesome i notice now theres no skipping with music!!! this is awesome!! =D Quick question when im flooded with enemies and the framerate drop thats normal because this build still needs tweaking right? Its not something i did wrong installing? ?Hehe =P i know dumb question.

The code base used is an old JFDuke3D. It's not the best in the world, to say the least. I'm not sure how much can be squeezed from it. It might be worth it just to move on to something like eduke32 instead.

Edit-why does movement with the stick only let duke walk not run? when i set it to the analog controler and assign each dirrection for movement it runs fast each direction. why is this?

Yes, I noticed the "running" speed is not too fast. Press START to toggle run/walk... walking is PAINFULLY slow. I can probably tweak that for faster movement - make walk the same as the current run, and boost run to a proper run speed.

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Added replacement instrument to first post. While working on Rise of the Triad, several folks noticed that at certain times during the first level, the game would grind to a halt. I traced the issue to one instrument. When that instrument played, it made everything slow way down. I found a replacement instrument that didn't cause this slow down. So even though I haven't run into it in Duke3D yet, it may somewhere in the game, so best to replace it. Get the archive of the new instrument from the first post.

Unquestionable

Thank you for this Chilly Willy! I was just today trying an older verision of this port I downloaded a long time ago and realised an updated verision of it probably has already been released, so after some searching I found a post about this build on dcemu's forums.

This port works great! Thanks to you and all the others that has worked on this. :)

~Unquestionable

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Work on the 3.52 M33-4 and is there any chance of bricking???

It works on all 3.xx/4.xx custom firmwares, and no, there's no chance of bricking - it doesn't mess with the NAND in any form. Only programs that write to the NAND can brick a PSP.

blinkstar

First, thanks so much for this - I loved playing the original back in the day, and now that DNF is dead, I wanted to play the original again ...

One problem--I can not save any of my changes in the in-game menu ... they all revert back when I quit the program ...

Shchenok

I'm currently porting EDuke32 as the base for the next version. The current version is based on a REALLY old version of JFDuke.

I'm currently poking around in CWCHEAT. I've managed to create an infinite health code, as well as infinite ammo for the pistol, shotgun, and RPG...there's one thing I'm having problems with though: the run/walk speed. Could you point me to some key words or values I can search the memory for to edit the movement speeds? I don't want to mess around with the source code and try to recompile anything. I also don't want to cause you any trouble editing this one thing. If you could tell me the values for the running/walking speeds, that would be amazing (or even the names of the vars). The best I could do so far is find the memory location for the run/walk toggle.

P.S. Did I see you in a match of Killzone 2 the other night?

black_laser

<p>Do you know when you will have a functioning eduke32 psp port? I love this though I've have been playing Duke Nukem sences It first came out I was 5 years old.</p>