• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[FAQ] Pandora's Battery [Including TimeMachine]

Moose

Meta Moose
[FAQ] Pandora's Battery
Please suggest questions that should be added to this FAQ

[FIELDSET="FAQ Details"]In this FAQ I will explain and answer frequently asked questions to do with the Pandora's battery. Each section will have an aim and is designed to help you understand what you are doing in a more clear and simple way. This FAQ also deals with questions concerning TimeMachine.
A n00b to Pandora's battery? Then start here.[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="Pandora's Battery"]What is Pandora's battery?
Pandora's battery is an unbricker, downgrader and upgrader all in one. It makes use of a Sony PSP battery to enable 'Service Mode' on a PSP. The battery works along side a 'Magic Memory Stick' which is created by the user to allow access to the 'Service Mode'. Take a look here for more information.

How can Pandora's Battery help unbrick my PSP?
There have been many versions of Pandora's battery, the best for unbricking a PSP is called 'Despertar del Cementrio'. The latest version of 'Despertar del Cementrio' is version 5, and a guide on installing it can be found here.

How can I use Pandora's Battery to update my PSP to the latest Custom Firmware?
Once again, the most effective version of Pandora's Battery for doing this is DDC, a guide can be found here.

I don't have access to a homebrew-enabled PSP, how do I create a Pandora's Battery?
Unfortunately you need a homebrew enabled PSP to create a Pandora's Battery, but you are not completely out of luck, people are willing to create a Pandora's Battery for free, here.

My PSP isn't homebrew-enabled, but my friend's is. Can my friend create a Pandora's Battery for me?
Of course, just give the friend your battery and memory stick and follow the latest DDC guide, which can be found here.

Is there any risk of bricking a PSP when using Pandora's Battery?
Of course, but a brick could only really be caused by human error, for example, turning the PSP off in the flashing process. Although you can brick a PSP using Pandora's Battery, you can still unbrick it using Pandora's Battery.

I have attempted to fix my PSP using Pandora's Battery but it still does not work, what should I do?
You probably have an IDStorage problem, this can occur if you downgraded before the release of Pandora's Battery as your IDStorage keys have been patched in the downgrade process. You can try to downgrade back to 1.50 using Pandora's Battery and then running ChillyWilly's IDStorage Manager.

I get a blank screen after using DDCv5, what should I do?
Create a file called 'config.txt' in 'X:/TM/'. Then re-install DDCv5.

I have done everything to create a Pandora's battery, but nothing happens when I boot the PSP.
You are probably using an unofficial battery of some kind. Most battery's that aren't official do not have the EEPROM needed for the serial to be written to. In other words, you need to buy an official Sony battery.

What is Jas0nuk's ELF Menu?
Jas0nuk's ELF Menu is a menu which you can run application without having to acess the XMB. ELF Menu is also useful if you want to use more than 1 DDC (Say for example if you load the elf menu you choose to run either DDCv4 or DDCv5.

Jas0nuk's ELF Menu Dosen't work properly in DDCv6 & DDCv7. Why is this?
The reason Jas0nuk's ELF Menu doesn't work properly in DDCv6 & DDCv7 is because the resurrection.elf in DDCv5 is now resurrection.prx in DDCv6 & DDCv7 & if you rename the ELF Menu resurrection.elf to resurrection.prx & put it in the kd folder in DDCv6 & DDcv7 it will load 4.01M33-2 for the Magic Memory Stick. Jas0nuk is currently working on a new version of ELF Menu that will support DDCv6 & DDCv7.

What is the Datel TOOL Battery?
Datel released their own 'readily Pandorized battery' for the public to buy, a rip-off of the hard work performed by Team C+D. It doesn't come with any of the files need to create the memory stick. It should only be bought in cases were you have no other choice.

Does Pandora's Battery work on a Slim PSP?
Of course, you will need to use compatible software though, such as DDCv5.

Can I use a Slim Battery in a Classic PSP?
No, it will not fit.

Can I use a Classic Battery in a Slim PSP?
Yes, with a bit of bruteforce it will fit in nice and snug, make sure to hold it in securely in the flashing process though.

I am using a TA-082 motherboard, can I still use Pandora's Battery
Sure, Pandora's Battery can be used on any PSP.

I am using Booster's Multi-IPL-Loader, but it I must hold L when resuming from standby, is there any way to fix this?
You are using an older version of Multi-IPL-Loader, try the newest version or even DDCv5. DDCv5 has the Multi-IPL-Loader feature built in.

I am trying to install the original Pandora release but I am on Vista/Linux, is there anything I can do?
Use a newer version of Pandora (such as DDCv5).

I just finished upgrading my PSP and now I can't run the battery application to normalize my battery, what shall I do?
Try using Hellcat's Pandora Installer and press Square to normalize your battery.

What is TimeMachine and does it make use of Pandora's Battery?
TimeMachine allows the user to emulate firmwares such as 1.50 to run homebrew that will not load correctly on their current firmware. An installation guide can be found here.

I'm not sure if my battery can be pandorized as it isn't an official Sony battery, is there a list I can look at?
Yup, take a look at this guide.

I have finished upgrading/unbricking/downgrading my PSP, can I delete the files from my memory stick?
Yes.

I have a Magic Memory Stick, can I still use it as a normal memory stick?
Yes, but don't delete or change the Pandora files if you wish to use them again.

Can I access Recovery Mode in TimeMachine?
Yes, it is a bit tricky as you have to time the release of the button to load the TimeMachine firmware and the holding of the Recovery Mode button correctly, but it is possible.

I have finished using my Pandora's Battery but I cannot boot into my normal firmware, what can I do?
Simply remove the battery and memory stick and plug in the AC Adapter, then turn the PSP on. Next insert the battery and memory stick while the PSP is on, it should now work.

I only have the 32MB memory stick that came with my PSP, is this large enough for the Magic Memory Stick files?
You must have a memory stick that has at least 256MB of space.

I am using an old DDC, can I upgrade to DDCv5?
You must install DDCv5 normally.

Can I install a new firmware to my real flash0 using TimeMachine?
No, TimeMachine doesn't have access to the actual PSP's NAND.

Can I use TimeMachine along side an official firmware?
If you have TimeMachine and are on an official firmware you can use it to boot into 1.50, or any of the other firmwares available to you via TimeMachine, if wanted.[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="Glossary"]Service Mode
Service Mode is what Sony uses to flash the PSP quickly and effectively even in a bricked state. It allows direct access to the PSP's NAND.

Despertar del Cementrio
Created by Dark_AleX, DDC can upgrade a PSP to the latest M33 custom firmware even if the PSP is bricked.

DDC
Despertar del Cementrio (see above).

DDCv5
Despertar del Cementrio version 5.

Homebrew-enabled PSP
A PSP which is on either 1.50 or a custom firmware.

Bricked PSP
A PSP that is broken (in the software sense) and cannot be used because of an accident involving one of many causes, mainly a flashing error/mistake.

IDStorage
IDStorage contains a lot of information about your PSP, such as it's serial number, MAC address, PSP Region, UMD Reader Region, type of motherboard. It is the IDStorage of the PSP that gives us all the available information about the PSP. Lots of IDStorage keys are unique for each PSP, and cannot be regenerated.

EEPROM
An EEPROM is a type of non-volatile memory (the memory is not erased when power is removed) used in computers and other electronic devices to store small amounts of data that must be saved when power is removed (in our case, the battery's serial). The EEPROM also stores chemical logs of the battery.
See here for more information on the EEPROM.
[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="Credits"]N00bz - Information on Pandora's Battery
DevsGen - Information on the PSP's IDStorage
Wikipedia - Information on EEPROM's
Various QJ Threads - Question Ideas[/FIELDSET]