• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Multi Final Fantasy... Where should I start?

Spiros

Maiki
hey everyone,

I would like to get into Final Fantasy, I played the psp remake of the first final fantasy game, but lost interest after awhile. I'd like to get some suggestions on which game i should start with. i know final fanasy 7 is considered by most to be the best, but should i play the games before 7 to understand the story? is it worthwhile to start again from the first final fantasy game, i enjoy old games, so wouldnt mind starting with the nes original or the remake again if you guys think it would be worthwhile.

im leaving for europe next week and will have some time on my hands until august. ill be away from my consoles, but ill have my psp, nds lite, and a laptop so i could do psx emulation.

let me know if you have any suggestions.

spiros.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
You don't need worry about understanding the story since every game except X-2 is a stand alone title and not an actual sequel.

I would recommend Final Fantasy 3 (Also known as final fantasy 6)

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
You don't need worry about understanding the story since every game except X-2 is a stand alone title and not an actual sequel.

I would recommend Final Fantasy 3 (Also known as final fantasy 6)

I second Craig and say you should play Final Fantasy VI Advance, since it's the most recent iteration of the game.

Then you could always play VII, VIII and IX and then move on to X. But I would advise playing II, III, IV, V before that. Also play Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII on the PSP, it's one of the best to come out in the few years story-wise.

Also stay away from X-2, XI, XII and XIII you'll just be losing your time.

Then if you're up for somthing different, play Final Fantasy Tactics and if you like them, move on to Tactics Advance and it's sequel.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I'm probably the only person here that didn't like FF7 and thinks it is tremendously overrated.

I liked FFX a good amount and I can guarantee the best combat system ever used in any of the games is in the latest iteration, FF13.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I'm probably the only person here that didn't like FF7 and thinks it is tremendously overrated.

I liked FFX a good amount and I can guarantee the best combat system ever used in any of the games is in the latest iteration, FF13.

I agree that the combat system in FFXIII might be good, but a game that plays itself? =\ I don't know if I agree with that at all... Also no matter what people say (that the game gets good after 30h) I'll just have to quote someone over at Destructoid:

Since when is it acceptable for a game to become good after 30h? I don't care if after 30hs it becomes a FFVII remake, it is still unacceptable.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
I agree that the combat system in FFXIII might be good, but a game that plays itself? =\ I don't know if I agree with that at all... Also no matter what people say (that the game gets good after 30h) I'll just have to quote someone over at Destructoid:
It plays itself for the first hour (its supposed to help new comers, but it just ends up being a bore-fest), then it gives you the actual battle system which requires a lot of know-how and some strategy. It was too complicated for my liking so that's where I stopped playing it.

Riorio99

I also dislike FF7, seriously could not get into that game, no matter how much I tried.

I enjoyed 4, 5, 6 and 9, but I haven't really played any of the others. I seriously suggest you start at 6, and at least try 7, to see if you can get into it or not.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
You probably won't get much enjoyment out of playing the older Final Fantasy games since we are mostly accustomed to 3D games now. There are a lot of new ports of the FF games onto modern consoles so make sure you play those ports rather than the originals (the originals are still good, but their age shows).

Personally I would recommend either FFIX or FFX, both I thoroughly enjoyed. When I played FFVII I got lost when traversing the open world and just gave up, been meaning to get back to playing it but time hasn't been on my side (I personally liked it but prefer IX or X over it)

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
You probably won't get much enjoyment out of playing the older Final Fantasy games since we are mostly accustomed to 3D games now.

That is one of the problems of the evolution of games. Most people are becoming spoiled graphic whores (I'm a bit one too) and they can't take any enjoyment out of a game due to dated graphics.

But if you have no issues with that, then kudos to you, and just play on. :p

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
That is one of the problems of the evolution of games. Most people are becoming spoiled graphic whores (I'm a bit one too) and they can't take any enjoyment out of a game due to dated graphics.

But if you have no issues with that, then kudos to you, and just play on. :p

There are some games however that stand the test of time (Zelda, Chrono Trigger, etc.) but I feel that some Final Fantasy games, especially the first ones do not do as well.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
There are some games however that stand the test of time (Zelda, Chrono Trigger, etc.) but I feel that some Final Fantasy games, especially the first ones do not do as well.

Which Zelda? I feel the N64 games have aged much worse than the SNES/NES ones. I agree with you on Chrono Trigger though.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Which Zelda? I feel the N64 games have aged much worse than the SNES/NES ones. I agree with you on Chrono Trigger though.

Was actually referring to both, if I had the opportunity I would play both SNES/NES versions as well as the N64 ones over again. Zelda: OoT still stands on top as the highest reviewed game of all time (I think) and I still think it can be played and enjoyed by anyone today (just like Perfect Dark/Goldeneye for the N64). There's just something about that game that I think will never make it old. It's a solid experience throughout and really grabs you in the beginning of the game.

Sadly I don't feel the same way with some of the early FF games since they all seem similar to me with the various classes and game structure. As such I recommend any FF game after FFVII to re-iterate my opinion.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Was actually referring to both, if I had the opportunity I would play both SNES/NES versions as well as the N64 ones over again. Zelda: OoT still stands on top as the highest reviewed game of all time (I think) and I still think it can be played and enjoyed by anyone today (just like Perfect Dark/Goldeneye for the N64). There's just something about that game that I think will never make it old. It's a solid experience throughout and really grabs you in the beginning of the game.

I was referring to not aging well graphically, which nowadays will put off many people from them unfortunately. There's always the choice of using the re-texture project and emulate the games off Project64 (and I guarantee they look, much MUCH better).

Then there are projects like Perfect Dark XBLA, which make these game available for everyone in a "updated" version, which makes me sad MS bought RARE :(

Then again you have the HD Remix games from CAPCOM which are also very good.

Scorned

Actually, I think FF7 is the worst in aging because of the way it was 3d. FF8, 9, and so on were more...well rounded I guess you could say, instead of blocks.

Chrono Trigger has almost no real graphical advantage over any of the other FF's (Although I guess the original 1 & 2, which were unbelievably frustrating) that would seem "outdated". Although I highly recommend playing Chrono Trigger, its basically another Final Fantasy.

And I wouldn't go anywhere near as far as saying a game plays itself. FF13 is basically FFX with better graphics, a little bit less in the mini game department, and a different battle system. It IS actually a good game (def not up to its hype...and crappy voice acting), but nonetheless it still provides more single player hours than a lot of current gen games out there now, and still retaining its funness.

Spiros

Maiki
Thanks for all the advice and information everyone,

I think I will start with final fantasy vi advance, it got a great review and the screens look pretty. I'll be travelling for almost a day on tuesday, so when my girlfriend falls asleep that will give me something to do.

If i enjoy that I'll probably move onto final fantasy vii, or I might try one of the other remakes that were made for the DS(i think it was iii and iv).

Thanks again for the advice, I'll let you all know how it goes on my first adventure with final fantasy.

Deathrow

I personally never liked any of the 2D Final Fantasys. It just didn't flow and they could definitely be cleaned up a lot.

I think FF VII was such a big hit because it was a huge jump in not only graphics, but in the gaming engine too. You also might notice how it strays away from the older games because it portrayed a world that is modernized rather the "knights in shining armor" look.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
The 2D SNES FF entries look more realistic to me personally. FFVII has not aged well, it's neigh unplayable to me. The blocky character hands and low-res sprite backdrops are a huge turn-off.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
The 2D SNES FF entries look more realistic to me personally. FFVII has not aged well, it's neigh unplayable to me. The blocky character hands and low-res sprite backdrops are a huge turn-off.

I saw of a way to make PSOne games look much prettier on PC, I can post a guide should anyone want.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I saw of a way to make PSOne games look much prettier on PC, I can post a guide should anyone want.

You mean using ePSXe? It doesn't help FF8 at all. Whatever game engine they used, the textures jump all over the show no matter what.
The PC versions themselves can be modded with higher resolution models and textures though :D

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
You mean using ePSXe? It doesn't help FF8 at all. Whatever game engine they used, the textures jump all over the show no matter what.
The PC versions themselves can be modded with higher resolution models and textures though :D

Aye... I specially like the effect it gives FF7... Makes the game much more playable.

FFVII:

2292845156_b284138c51.jpg

FFIX:

2292845176_d520d0c858_o.jpg

Of course this is all done using custom shaders ;)