• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Firefox or Chrome?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I've noticed that Google Chrome now has extensions support, which is the only thing binding me to Firefox. Is Google Chrome good enough or should I stay with Firefox for a while longer?

I've included a poll, just for arguments sake.

I've been a Firefox fan for awhile now, and did not really see the benefits of chrome, when I used it. Speed-wise, they're pretty equal, Chrome's got V8, and now Firefox has Tracemonkey. I'll be sticking with Firefox for now, considering it's more mature, especially in the add-ons department. I'd give Chrome a spin, but I predominately use OS X, and Chrome on that platform appears to be low priority for now.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
By now I'm just used to Firefox. I've used chrome a little bit and I see no real need to switch. I'm stubborn when it comes to change.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
chrome 4 is around 8x faster than the 3.6b of ff for me, and a lil over 10x over the current release(3.5.5)

on top of that, it has adblock, so I now have 0 need for ff.

Adiuvo

Chrome. The extension support is pretty good and it's faster. So, overall, better browser.

Plus one tab crash doesn't crash the whole browser.

Chathurga

It'll be a great many years until I switch from FF and Firebug to Chrome's "webkit default" debugger. Plus Gecko is the most sane rendering engine, and the text selection looks so much better. The text selection in Webkit bugs the hell outa me.

A_Nub

Developer
FF is bloated as hell. And Webkit is many times sexier. And renders much better than Gecko. Chat, remember Webkit passes Acid test, Gecko gets maybe 50% I think it was less.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
I use either or. Just depends which release is better than the other :).

Though, if some good extensions come out, chances are I'll be sticking with chrome.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Firefox.
I have gotten used to firefox and it is setup perfectly for me, I don't see a reason to fix whats not broken.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I use both regularly however in both very different ways.

For my netbook I use Chrome since rendering space is a premium and Chrome provides the largest view of a website out of IE, FF and Chrome. Also since it's really fast, it runs perfectly fine on my netbook.

For my desktop though, I use Firefox. Reason being that screensize and computer speed isn't an issue on my desktop, I have Firefox setup just the way I like it with themes, extensions, bookmarks and saved usernames and that I prefer having the close tab button below the address bar. Having the tab's IN the title bar doesn't appeal to me at all.

Yes, I know that Chrome would be faster, that it has themes, that I could just transfer my bookmarks, that it now has extensions but the tabs thing is what kills it for me. That and the fact I've been using it since 2005.

Noriyuke

I use both regularly however in both very different ways.

For my netbook I use Chrome since rendering space is a premium and Chrome provides the largest view of a website out of IE, FF and Chrome. Also since it's really fast, it runs perfectly fine on my netbook.

This is mainly why i use chrome, i only have notebooks around, old ones at that, and resources get low, and chrome kinda simplified that. I mean, i dont use the internet like most everyone. SO Chrome is straight for me, but i have FF, IE, Opera, and Chrome installed. Just in case at any point chrome wants to bug out on me, ill go to another browser.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
the tabs thing is what kills it for me.
I prefer it because it is a more efficient use of screen real estate. actually, if I could, i'd even shrink the UI more(decrease the font size on address bar,and remove the padding above and below it, and remove the extra space above and below tab text... could cut screen real estate by almost half)

Noriyuke

You should be a screen real estate salesman. No i kid, i see all that padding your talking about, and its funny how you bring that up, i was just thinking about putting a theme up that would cut some of that. But i lost it when i passed out last night.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I prefer it because it is a more efficient use of screen real estate. actually, if I could, i'd even shrink the UI more(decrease the font size on address bar,and remove the padding above and below it, and remove the extra space above and below tab text... could cut screen real estate by almost half)

That's exactly why it's on my netbook. Btw, you can get rid of the padding by maximising Chrome. Screen real estate isn't such an issue when you've 3120x1050 to play with.

The Jackal

Zero Punctuation FTW
Firefox for me :)

Riorio99

I'm a Firefox man for the time being, but a few sites are painfully slow on Firefox, and I use Chrome for them. As Chrome gets extensive add-on support, I'll probably switch completely, it's a hell of a lot faster, but extensions win me over for now.