• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Firefox or Chrome?

Noriyuke

Ok, im not a major extension type of person i guess, i mean i use the basics, flash, javascript, shit like that.

What are you guys using that makes firefox such an extension powerhouse?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
adblock plus, downthemall, flashgot, cooliris, just to name a few..

elite

Oldie moldie
I use Google Chrome with a 3rd party program to block ads--> one of the dilemmas. Out there, you can find many Ad blockers, usually shareware. I am using the open source project (BFilter). Pretty good for blocking ads, but also weirdly blocks JavaScript. :S

Noriyuke

hmm, a few of those i know well, i could never use flashgot to its potential for some reason. But yeah i dont use any of that, so im good i guess.

You also have to remember that Firefox was built from the ground up with extensions in minds, and as such will be the overall winner in regards to extensions. Furthermore, rendering speed isn't really that much of a problem, when you take into account today's processing power, 10x faster can be a mere split second. Plus, my Internet Connection is the clear bottleneck, so rendering speed isn't a factor for me, moreso accuracy, which Gecko in my experience has fared better.

Just saying, Chrome's got to be pretty damn good to pry me away from my trusty Firefox.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Ok, im not a major extension type of person i guess, i mean i use the basics, flash, javascript, shit like that.

What are you guys using that makes firefox such an extension powerhouse?

I have Firebug, Personas and Screengrab.
Don't use any adblockers since they generally don't bother me and it's helping keep that site up and running.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
You also have to remember that Firefox was built from the ground up with extensions in minds, and as such will be the overall winner in regards to extensions. Furthermore, rendering speed isn't really that much of a problem, when you take into account today's processing power, 10x faster can be a mere split second. Plus, my Internet Connection is the clear bottleneck, so rendering speed isn't a factor for me, moreso accuracy, which Gecko in my experience has fared better.
Chrome seems equal to ff in render accuracy. and it is merely a split second, but that adds up. 1/4 a sec here, half a sec here, and after a while, you have lost 5 min. doesn't seem like much, but that wasted time is still wasted, and I deplore wasting time like that. also, 1000x more than just rendering speed is startup. Chrome takes less than 1/4 a sec to open and be ready to use, while firefox takes over 10 seconds(no extensions other than abp with easylist, and no plugins other than flash).

Chathurga

Chrome seems equal to ff in render accuracy.

No, that's not true. Look at the part in the post area that separates this icon
icon1.gif
from your actual post. In FF it properly follows the styling but in webkit it doesn't.

Being a web developer I'd rank the sanity of browsers like this: Firefox, Chrome/Safari, Opera, IE.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Firefox all the way. Adblock Plus as well as Tab Mix Plus = amazing. Chrome may load fast but what else does it do? I will never switch

Seth

MD Party Room
I just use chrome because it indexes my history way better than firefox.