• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Firefox or Chrome?

Bill

Chrome is still in BETA, so you might as well stay with FF

Everything Google is a beta (not true; G-Mail was released from beta earlier this year, after ~5 years of having the "beta" label).

Anyway, I like Opera. I've gotten used to it. Speed Dial is my life (although I know there is one on FF now via plugin). I've used Chrome, but it always feels like theres something missing when I use it...

Joey

I still use Firefox, but after using Chrome at work for a while, I have to say, it's a damn good browser. Actually, I meant to give it a try at home. I may just do that today.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Chrome can handle a lot more web pages without taking a silly amount of ram and processing stuff, it's just more smooth IMO. Firefox is a great browser, I just like Chrome, and I'm sure Firefox will use some of Chrome's techniques in the future (They already have, I mean moar).

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I prefer Firefox over Chrome just for the amount of customization and plugins that are available (Chrome has almost zero customization). There are also several plugins that I love in Firefox (Proxy on/off button, SkipScreen, and more.

However I switched over to Chrome for the past 2 weeks because my Firefox was giving me some trouble (mainly a few webpages were loading incorrectly for some reason - probably since I installed the beta alongside it, not sure). I've also got a few quirks with Chrome in how it operates differently from firefox but I manage with it. I don't like how Chrome often shows a white page when loading different/new websites or pages, FireFox doesn't do that.

In terms of performance, I don't notice Chrome being any bit faster than FireFox in real day-to-day usage and loading of webpages. I don't worry about RAM consumption as I have 6gb of RAM and loading both browsers up from cold boot is about the same

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
I prefer Firefox over Chrome just for the amount of customization and plugins that are available (Chrome has almost zero customization). There are also several plugins that I love in Firefox (Proxy on/off button, SkipScreen, and more.

However I switched over to Chrome for the past 2 weeks because my Firefox was giving me some trouble (mainly a few webpages were loading incorrectly for some reason - probably since I installed the beta alongside it, not sure). I've also got a few quirks with Chrome in how it operates differently from firefox but I manage with it. I don't like how Chrome often shows a white page when loading different/new websites or pages, FireFox doesn't do that.

In terms of performance, I don't notice Chrome being any bit faster than FireFox in real day-to-day usage and loading of webpages. I don't worry about RAM consumption as I have 6gb of RAM and loading both browsers up from cold boot is about the same

About customization: Chrome offers just as much if not more customization for plugins, it's just the plugin system has not been out long enough for any useful plugins to pop up.

Google Chrome Extensions

And they don't really make it known all that well.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
About customization: Chrome offers just as much if not more customization for plugins, it's just the plugin system has not been out long enough for any useful plugins to pop up.

Google Chrome Extensions

And they don't really make it known all that well.

I've installed a few extensions already (I'm well aware of Chrome extensions....they just suck) and I'm not impressed by the catalog. And by customization, I meant complete customization: with Chrome all we have so far are themes, we really can't change much else about the look of the browser. The extension system itself has been out for a while now (about 6 months actually) but Firefox just has a huge following in that department it will take Google a while, and developers a while, to catch up.

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
To be honest, I've always thought I'd stick to Firefox, since out of all the browsers I've used, it's by far the best; I thought though it might be slower than Chrome, it seemed to be much more reliable than IE or Opera. However, up until 20 minutes ago, I had never used Chrome, and I have to say, it is MUCH faster than Firefox on my PC. I hadn't even realised Firefox was slow before I used this, since I'm pretty patient, but now I think I've been spoilt. xD I think I'll be steadily moving to Chrome now. :tup:

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Everyone mentions how Chrome is so much faster than Firefox, although in loading webpages I find them to be nearly the same in real-world usage. Firefox actually loaded a few pages faster for me. Sure Chrome is probably faster in other areas of the web, but for loading web pages for me, Firefox is actually faster.

Joey

I'm a full Chrome convert. I don't use a ton of plug-ins, so I guess that's why that's not an issue for me. It's fast, light, and I like the way it's set-up. Minimal UI, lots of real estate to display the page.

Plus, I like the Google integration. Bookmark syncing just by entering my gmail account? That's a killer feature for me.

Moose

Meta Moose
Not switching from Firefox until something else catches up in the extensions department.

Pretty much the only reason I am still using Firefox is because of this. There are so many handy little extensions for Firefox that Chrome can't match yet.

Chathurga

Pretty much the only reason I am still using Firefox is because of this. There are so many handy little extensions for Firefox that Chrome can't match yet.

And there's a lot of plugins that Chrome can't match, Chrome's API doesn't go as deep as Firefox's. Real ad blocking like Firefox's Adblock does may never be possible on Chrome.

Moose

Meta Moose
And there's a lot of plugins that Chrome can't match, Chrome's API doesn't go as deep as Firefox's. Real ad blocking like Firefox's Adblock does may never be possible on Chrome.

What does Firefox's Adblock do that Chrome's doesn't? Out of interest. I haven't actually used Chrome's Adblock for obvious reasons.

Adiuvo

This is a layman's understanding of it, but Firefox actually blocks the ads from even loading, whereas Chrome still has the ads load and just blocks you from seeing them.

Moose

Meta Moose
This is a layman's understanding of it, but Firefox actually blocks the ads from even loading, whereas Chrome still has the ads load and just blocks you from seeing them.

Ah I see, there's quite a significant difference then. Load times must be higher for a user who is running Adblock on Chrome than for a user who is running Adblock on Firefox then?