• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Firefox or Chrome?

LocutusEstBorg

Could you share these GM scripts please?

I'm at work now. But it's relatively simple. Just trace to the javascript function that generates the message. In the GM script use
Code:
unsafeWindow.function_name = null
or
unsafeWindow.function_name = function () {}

Sometimes (TweakTown) the anti-adblock code is in a separate .js file. On the page in the adblock menu, click open blockable items and block the .js file itself. (Reminds me of the Johnny Depp Permaban GIF lol)

Use Firebug to trace through complex javascript.

I haven't found to way to get around inline code though (where they just open a <script> tag and type the entire detection code there) as inline javascript executes before GM.

Chathurga

I'm at work now. But it's relatively simple. Just trace to the javascript function that generates the message. In the GM script use
Code:
unsafeWindow.function_name = null
or
unsafeWindow.function_name = function () {}

Sometimes (TweakTown) the anti-adblock code is in a separate .js file. On the page in the adblock menu, click open blockable items and block the .js file itself. (Reminds me of the Johnny Depp Permaban GIF lol)

Use Firebug to trace through complex javascript.

I haven't found to way to get around inline code though (where they just open a <script> tag and type the entire detection code there) as inline javascript executes before GM.

Chrome's flavour of GM can run JS as soon as the HTML tag is created with:
Code:
// @run-at document-start
So I think it could be used to monitor the DOM and remove/comment out scripts as they're inserted. So it's better in that way but crippled in most other ways.

UserUnknown

eXo's Resident Brony
Firefox is nice. Its got a lot of useful extensions and addons. Whereas I like Chrome's simplicity. The only thing that's keeping me from switching to any other browser is the extensions and addons.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
After hearing that the Chrome version of Adblock doesn't actually "block" the ads I did a spyware scan with spybot and low-and-behold, there were some results courtesy of Google Chrome.

Think I'll be going back to Firefox

eldiablov

Contributor
After hearing that the Chrome version of Adblock doesn't actually "block" the ads I did a spyware scan with spybot and low-and-behold, there were some results courtesy of Google Chrome.

I dont understand how ads gave you spyware :huh:

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Might be false positives. I know many spyware scanners deem cookies as spyware.

UserUnknown

eXo's Resident Brony

I've noticed the Firefox's Adblock is a tad son the slow side sometimes.

Or maybe I'm not using it right?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Might be false positives. I know many spyware scanners deem cookies as spyware.

No I think it's "legit" spyware, although not your harmful kind. I don't get any false positives with Firefox running adblock plus if that's the case, while I do get them with Chrome - it shouldn't be that way. They're all cookies from these "ads" in question and I would much rather not have them at all then have them, even if they are false positives

LocutusEstBorg

That shit is so annoying. My dad used to run those scans everyday and it would take 2 hours to find some cookies, but he'd still do it because these useless scanners make it seem like they just saved your computer from melting and your bank account from being stolen.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
That shit is so annoying. My dad used to run those scans everyday and it would take 2 hours to find some cookies, but he'd still do it because these useless scanners make it seem like they just saved your computer from melting and your bank account from being stolen.

Indeed it is, and most of what Spybot finds are either false-positives or are "harmless", at least from my experience. I just like to go the safe route though - Firefox + Adblock = no Spybot results.

LocutusEstBorg

Everyone mentions how Chrome is so much faster than Firefox, although in loading webpages I find them to be nearly the same in real-world usage. Firefox actually loaded a few pages faster for me. Sure Chrome is probably faster in other areas of the web, but for loading web pages for me, Firefox is actually faster.

I find Chrome and Firefox to be the same. But Opera 10 is much faster, atleast for pr0n (the only reason I have it installed). All the thumbnails load at the same time, and I've never encountered a "dead tab" which needs a refresh to load. I always get dead tabs in Firefox. Even intelligently adjusting the network settings in Firefox only makes it slower after a point.

I'm only on 2Mbps so the difference is quite drastic.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit

for some reason you made me think of this:
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5mGAUwMbXg[/YT]

man, i just want to punch the guy at the end of the commercial

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
I started using chrome recently because FF has been crashing on me a lot lately. I'm usually the last person to switch browsers, but chrome is alright.

I started using chrome recently because FF has been crashing on me a lot lately. I'm usually the last person to switch browsers, but chrome is alright.

I had this happen before and I just save my bookmarks, delete profile, uninstall. download latest and restore bookmarks, add-ons etc.

no crash and a little bit improvement for now.

elite

Oldie moldie
This is a layman's understanding of it, but Firefox actually blocks the ads from even loading, whereas Chrome still has the ads load and just blocks you from seeing them.
The dev of Adblock on Chrome is actually working on that feature.
iz7odx.png

Adiuvo

Hm, I should go check it out again. I disabled it previously since it made web browsing slower, but this might help alleviate that.

I'm using Chrome on a netbook ATM, seeing as I heard it's better than Firefox in these instances.

Some features are nice, like the tab management. But I really do miss my extensions. It doesn't feel all that much more snappier though. I was expecting more from it.

LocutusEstBorg

IMO all claims of anything being faster than the other on a modern PC are BS. It only makes a difference on cell phones etc.