• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

First Post be gentle - ISO and OE3.4 Questions

blackmesa

Ok, first post so be gentle. I have successfully installed OE3.4 on my 1.5 JAP PSP. No issues there 8) .

I have used Popstation4 (?) to convert Gran Turismo 2 (US NTSC) ISO into a PSP ISO, i have then copied the created folder to the /psp/game folder. When i try to run the game from the PSP i get the warning screen and then the screen goes black. I have a game UMD in the PSP and the NO UMD is disabled. Has anyone else got this game to work or am i flogging the preverbial dead horse?

Do i need to load anything else, like another plugin? Am i following the correct procedure? I guess this could be one of those games that does not work.

Any hints or tips would be appreciated.

:smile:

GPUX

playstation 1 games need to be an EBOOT file in order for the psp to emulate it.

PSP games can only be in iso or cso format.

blackmesa

sorry my mistake, yes the popstation4 or the gui version creates an eboot file contained in folder, which i then copy to /psp/game. i have also tried copying to /psp/game150 and /psp/game340

maybe GT2 is one of the ones that do not work. i can successfully run ISO/CSO PSP games from the /ISO folder on the MS.

GPUX

well its either badly converted or it isn't compatible.
try using dark alex's popsloader.

Krelian

Do you hold the key?

I use PSX2PSP (Popstation GUI 1.2) and I know that programs needs you to go find a certain BASE.PBP file before it makes games correctly...
So you may need to get a certain special file for your PopStation4 or GUI version to work properly.
Another possibility is that depending on what you use to convert your game you may need to include the KEYS.BIN from Hot Shots Golf 2 in the same folder as your EBOOT.
The last possibility is that you may need to rerip your ISO... I used to use ImgBurn to make my ISOs but some of my games ripped with ImgBurn wouldn't work on my PSP; I switched to IsoBuster for ripping my PSone games and I haven't had problems from bad/incompatible rips yet.
I know both Simulation and Arcade modes of GT2 work properly on firmware 3.10OE-A' and 3.40OE-A because I've used them myself.

Taruther

I downloaded IsoBuster and am trying to ripp, but im geting a error like "unable to read this section" im guessing im not suppost to just do "extract"

the games i have tried are all in 100% condition.

Krelian

It's all in the hips...

You're going to right-click where it says CD at the top of the tree on the left and choose:
Extract CD < Image > - RAW (*.bin, *.iso)
ps1rip.png
(Thanks to x3sphere for the image)

Actually now that I think about it I'm pretty sure that when I encountered a similar black screen to what blackmesa is getting I solved it by switching from ImgBurn to IsoBuster for ripping...

Krelian

"Oh, yes. I forgot to tell you."

You'll have to add a .iso extension to the file that IsoBuster extracts (PSX2PSP won't recognize it as a generic BIN).
...at least I always have to add .iso to the file...

Taruther

Ok ,extract cd data raw. then i was gona use psx2psp, but it says i require popstation.exe in files o_O i tried usin POPSConv, wich does not require anything extra just convert from iso to EBOOT, after its done i copied it over to x/psp/game/Vagrant Story (used Vagrant Story to test) the Warning screen came, then psx logo, the starting movie, then i could do new game.
pressed new game, Now Loading............and its still loading T_T its not going any further,did same thing to Final Fantasy IX, psx logo came, then black screen.

UMD auto-start is Off(i believe thats suppost to be off?) got a UMD game in the PSP.

Not exacly sure what im doing wrong and if its all right. Systen software is 3.40 OE-A.
I think i got it all right, exept im not geting psx2psp to work. always when i tried searchin for popstation.exe i always got in google PSX2PSPv.0.7.1 for popstation, never popstation itself T_T.

lots of writing i know i do that sometimes.

Krelian

With regard too.

As far as your NO-UMD setting I'm pretty sure that only matters with PSP ISOs and CSOs, not PSone games.
Now regarding PSX2PSP, the newest version is 1.2 (get it here).
I too struggled with the whole concept of "having" popstation.exe for PSX2PSP and I found (as I was told) that PSX2PSP is a complete package despite not have a file specifically named popstation.exe... the only extra thing PSX2PSP needs is the BASE.PBP (feel free to PM me if you're having trouble getting it).
Now since you're getting to the title screen I honestly don't know why it won't go farther (most people will get stuck at or after the boot/warning screen)...
I'd try converting with PSX2PSP 1.2, then if you're still getting stuck at the title screen I don't really know what the problem would be but I'd be inclined to think it's a memory stick issue.

blackmesa

You'll have to add a .iso extension to the file that IsoBuster extracts (PSX2PSP won't recognize it as a generic BIN).
...at least I always have to add .iso to the file...

Hey Krelian,

Thanks for your help, after using ISOBUSTER and PSX2PSP i now have a working GT2 on my PSP. Its refreshing for someone to take the time and effort to post the correct information. Thanks to anyone else that posted as well, this is a great forum and i will be using it again no doubt. Just got a US PS3 delivered today so i am a happy bunny. :w00t:

EDIT: only downside is i dont know what the problem was whether it was the change to ISOBUSTER or PSX2PSP. Oh well i might find out later when i have a couple of minutes.

Taruther

Krelian tanks for the link psx2psp now works :smile: as for why it didnt work, my friend told me it was protected and therefore ripped it for me usin his "special tools" now it works like a charm :laugh:

Krelian

End of.

Yeah, you wouldn't want the disc to be stripped of an security it may or may not have, you want it to be as exact a copy as possible...
Well I'm quite glad I was able to help you two get up and running with PopStation!
If you like you could click the green + at the top of my post(s) to add to my reputation. :wink:

Krelian

elfico

Well unfortunately we don't support downloading games instead of buying them, in fact we CONDEMN it! So we cannot help you here with issues of playing ISOs you download.
Lastly I will tell you that if your firmware is the 3.40 version from Sony and not 3.40OE-A from Dark-AleX you won't be able to use ANY of the special feature we talk about here.
However, if you do have OE firmware I'd be happy to walk you through dumping one of your own UMDs to ISO and playing it.

so u mean i will never be able to play isos on my psp cuz i upgraded it already !?:eek:hmy:

Roe

so u mean i will never be able to play isos on my psp cuz i upgraded it already !?:eek:hmy:
Correct if you upgrade your psp to 3.10 or higher it will be a long, long time before you can play isos, or anything else on this site.

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
Just so you know if this is off a cd then you can make an iso with the iso creator supplied in autopopstation. If it's a downloaded iso then you can use autopopstation or psx2psp. I've recently started using psx2psp, but still keep autopopstation for it's different extractors. So try using psx2psp to convert it to an eboot and just put it in your /GAME folder inside of it's folder. If you need to make an iso just open up the iso creator in autopops core data. hope that helps.