• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC GameStop Removing OnLive Codes from Retail Deus Ex Copies, Selling Them As New

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
hr.jpg

Wow. We can't imagine this will go over well. While retail copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution contain a separate activation code to access the game through OnLive as well as Steam, GameStop isn't having it. The retailer has sent out a memo to store employees, ordering them to discard the code from all new copies of game.

First obtained by GameSpy, a photo of the memo is above[...]

Continue reading: GameStop Removing OnLive Codes from Retail Deus Ex Copies, Selling Them As New...

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I haven't shopped at Gamestop in years with NewEgg and Amazon but if I ever do again...no wait...nope, no more business from me ever

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I haven't bought anything from Gamestop in well over 3 years. In the advent of Amazon and Steam, I haven't needed to and anything I couldn't get there, I typically got at GAME.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
TIL gamestop exists in the UK. What the hell...

There's quite a few but I think the majority have only opened in the last three or four years. Maybe less. It was in the Republic of Ireland first I think then started getting stores in the North before setting up a few on the mainland.

sJIO4.jpg

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
What are the other reasons?

Everytime I walk in a GameStop and buy something they try and push the strategy guide on me, or sell me a GI subscription. It's very annoying. Gotta be a company policy as every location I've been to does it. I got fed up with it and stopped going there just because of that.

Also, they have tried to sell me an display copy for full price before. Fuck that. Nowadays I use Amazon, release date delivery is great. When I do venture out I'll go to Best Buy.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
yeah they push that stuff, because if they don't they get chewed out, or fired. They have a quota to meet every month. It sucks for them, to have to take so much shit for such a job.

You can't fuckin' Force people who play games, to buy stuff they don't want to buy! Same thing with all damn sales jobs.

And all the while, I do like to shop there , here and there because used prices on PS2/DS/Gamecube games keeps getting lower and lower generally.
Occasionaly there is the odd good deal on PC/PS3/360/Wii games too.

El Diablo

I don't understand these companies..."I know how we can make more money and get more customers, we'll fuck over our customers!". How do you get more business by hurting the consumer which is all these companies are doing, it doesn't make people want to run out and purchase from you, it makes them do the exact opposite. I hope Gamestop learns their lesson and EA does with BF3.

Seth

MD Party Room
A while ago they had Blood Stone 007 brand new for 10 bucks at gamestop... So I went down to my local gamestop to buy it, they somehow lost the new case, I told him I settle for it on ps3 or a used case the guy made a big fuss about giveing me a used case with cover and manual while I sat there buying a new fucking game... From time to time gamestop has some killer sales and the only time I ever buy a new game is when they have those prom trades...