• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Getting to know your PSP Motherboards.

J

jx233

The first known PSP Motherboard FAQ!
Here is a list of PSPs and their motherboards.
Thread finished: 08-27-2009.

If you know nothing about the PSP and are new to PSP, then click here before reading this FAQ / Guide.

PSP-1000 / PSP 01g / PSP Phat / PSP Fat:

Motherboard: TA-079 V1
Information: Found in the first launch PSPs. Ships with Version 1.00.
Technical Information: Tachyon: 0x00140000, Baryon: 0x00306000, Pommel: 0x00000103
Runs Custom Firmware? Of course, this is the PSP that shipped with Version 1.00 in which unsigned code could be run from! If it is updated to Version 1.51 or higher, custom firmware cannot be installed unless through the Pandora's Battery method.
Makes a Pandora Battery? Yes, it does.
What lowest Version can it run? Version 1.00.

Motherboard: TA-079 V2
Information: Found in launch PSPs. Ships with Version 1.00/1.50.
Technical Information: Tachyon: 0x00200000, Baryon: 0x00306000, Pommel: 0x00000103
Runs Custom Firmware? Yes, all PSPs with a TA-079 motherboard can unless updated to Version 1.51 or higher. Up to Version 3.50, a downgrader can be used. Afterwards, the Pandora's Battery method must be used.

Motherboard: TA-079 V3
Information: Found in launch PSPs. Ships with Version 1.00/1.50/1.51/1.52/2.00.
Technical Information: Tachyon: 0x00200000, Baryon: 0x00040600, Pommel: 0x00000103
Runs Custom Firmware? Yes, all PSPs with a TA-079 motherboard can unless updated to Version 1.51 or higher. Up to Version 3.50, a downgrader can be used. Afterwards, the Pandora's Battery method must be used.

Motherboard: TA-081
Information: This came out later after launch. It can natively run Version 1.50 like the previous PSPs. It most likely shipped with Version 2.00 or higher.
Technical Information: Tachyon: 0x00300000, Baryon: 0x00040600, Pommel: 0x00000103
Runs Custom Firmware? Yes it can be installed, through a downgrader running on to Version 3.50 or lower. Once downgraded, it can be updated to custom firmware. The other method to get to custom firmware is through the Pandora's Battery method.

Motherboard: TA-082
Information: This one had a ClockGen change in the hardware. As a result of that, TA-082 models were bricking when downgraded to Version 1.50. Patching the the TA-082's key 0x05 in its idstorage will allow Version 1.50 to boot. Through the Pandora's Battery method, everything was patched properly to allow this PSP to be downgraded safely to Version 1.50. This model originally shipped with Version 2.60. It then shipped with Version 2.71 and then Version 2.80.
Technical Information: Tachyon: 0x00400000, Baryon: 0x00114000, Pommel: 0x00000112
Runs Custom Firmware? Yes, when downgraded to Version 1.50, and through that version it can be updated to custom firmware. The other way to get custom firmware is through the Pandora's Battery method.
What lowest Version can it run? Version 2.60. Lower versions can be run, but idstorage key 0x05 must be patched to run Version 2.50 and lower.

Motherboard: TA-086
Information: This has everything that a TA-082 motherboard has. The difference between this and the TA-082 is that this one had a LCD change. s0nY added new LCD modules to this PSP. When safely downgraded to 1.50, it presents the user with a white screen, that is result of the LCD module change. Pressing the brightness button on this PSP fixes the problem when running Version 1.50 on this PSP. This was s0nY's last PSP-1000 motherboard before the release of the PSP-2000. PSPs with a TA-086 motherboard initially shipped with Version 2.71, then Version 2.81, and later came with Version 3.51.
Technical Information: Tachyon: 0x00400000, Baryon: 0x00121000, Pommel: 0x00000112
Runs Custom Firmware? Yes, after being downgraded to Version 1.50 using whatever method possible; this PSP then can be updated to custom firmware from Version 1.50. It can have custom firmware installed through the Pandora's Battery method.
What lowest Version can it run? Version 2.60. Older versions can be run , but the idstorage key 0x05 must patched before reverting to an older version lower than Version 2.60.

PSP-2000 / PSP 02g / PSP Slim and Lite:

draculaxpsp2000.jpg

Motherboard: TA-085
Information: It was found in the first PSP Slim models. It shipped with Version 3.60. It could not be downgraded to Version 1.50 because it would brick on that version and the hardware on this model was specifically made for later versions. Its idstorage was unlike of a PSP-1000, the PSP-2000 idstorage was encrypted.
Technical Information: Tachyon: 0x00500000, Baryon: 0x0022B200, Pommel: 0x00000123
Runs Custom Firmware? Yes, but it can have custom firmware installed only through the Pandora's Battery method which unlocked service mode on the PSP. Through the Pandora's Battery method, any firmware version can be installed, and that includes custom firmware.
Makes a Pandora Battery? Its the only PSP-2000 motherboard capable of doing so.
What lowest Version can it run? Version 3.60.

Motherboard: TA-085 V2
Information: This one is nearly identical to the TA-085 motherboard, but this one takes away the ability to make a Pandora Battery (battery EEPROM writing functions removed). This type of PSP shipped with Version 3.72, then Version 3.73, and finally Version 3.80.
Technical Information: Tachyon: 0x00500000, Baryon: 0x00234000, Pommel: 0x00000123
Runs Custom Firmware? Yes, but it can have custom firmware installed only through the Pandora's Battery method.
Makes a Pandora Battery? No, battery writing functions were removed from this motherboard and all PSP motherboards afterwards.

Motherboard: TA-088 V1
Information: This one had a new feature addded to it. It had heatsink shielding added which would protect vital parts of the PSP if it overheated. This was once referred to as the "TA-085 V3". The PSP with a TA-088 motherboard shipped with Version 3.71, and then Version 3.80, then Version 3.90, and finally Version 3.95.
Technical Information: Tachyon: 0x00500000, Baryon: 0x00243000, Pommel: 0x00000123
Runs Custom Firmware? Yes, but custom firmware only can be installed through the Pandora's Battery method.
Makes a Pandora Battery? No.

Motherboard: TA-088 V2
Information: This one was a surprise from s0nY. It fails to boot the Pandora's Battery application Despertar del Cementerio (Universal Unbricker) that uses the 1.50 + 3.40 kernel subset. Despertar del Cementerio v1-v5 used the 1.50 + 3.40 kernel subset. The older PSP-2000 motherboards could run Version 1.50, but only with 3.40 hardware modules. This motherboard used a new CPU designed for higher firmwares so even Version 1.50 with 3.40 hardware modules could not load. This presented a problem as custom firmware installation on PSP-2000 models used the 1.50 + 3.40 kernel subset. Esteemed developer Dark_Alex released Despertar del Cementerio v6 to enable installation of custom firmware on the PSP with this motherboard. PSPs that shipped to stores with this motherboard came with either Version 3.90 or Version 3.95.
Technical Information: Tachyon: 0x00500000, Baryon: 0x00243000, Pommel: 0x00000123
Runs Custom Firmware? Yes, but custom firmware can only can be installed through the Pandora's Battery method.

Motherboard: TA-088 V3
Information: Known as the "unhackable PSP". It ships to stores with Version 4.01 or Version 4.05. It patched the exploit that the Pandora's Battery method used. It also added a new CPU and new motherboard layout. Not only were there hardware changes, but this motherboard received a software change in its IPL (Initial Program Loader) layout for its firmware (operating system/ system software).
Runs Custom Firmware? No, so please don't ask if it does.
What lowest Version can it run? Version 4.00.

Motherboard: TA-090 V1
Information: The TA-090 V1 is found in refurbished PSPs. People began finding them when they got their after they sent their bricked/broken PSP-2000 models to get fixed by s0nY. The version it probably came with/returned to was Version 4.05. Very little is known about its Version. s0nY just updates the fixed PSPs to the latest version.
Runs Custom Firmware? Yes, it is nearly identical to the TA-088 V2 motherboard, so custom firmware can be installed through the Pandora's Battery method. Just like the TA-088 V2, it fails to boot Despertar del Cementerio V5 and lower.

PSP-3000 / PSP 03g / PSP Brite:

pspa.jpg

Motherboard: TA-090 V2
Information: This is the motherboard found in retail/store bought PSP-3000 units. It patched the hardware exploit which the Pandora's Battery method used. This motherboard has a new layout just like the TA-088 V3 motherboard found in the PSP-2000. The new layout was s0nY's anticipatory move against people who hard-mod their PSPs. This motherboard also has a new IC (Internal Control) microchip which no longer allows a soft-modded and hard-modded Pandora Battery to autostart service mode on the PSP. This motherboard treats a Pandora Battery as either a regular or unknown battery. Considering that this motherboard blocks a Pandora Battery from starting the PSP, and it blocking the loading of the MagicStick IPL (Initial Program Loader); this is currently most secure motherboard known. And concering its firmware version, it shipped with Version 4.20 or Version 4.21 depending on the region and date created.
Technical Information: (Tachyon:0x00600000, Baryon:0x00263100, Pommel: 132)
Runs Custom Firmware? No, it is secure and blocks the Pandora's Battery method; which is the only way to get custom firmware installed on the PSP-3000 units. Even if custom firmware is successfully installed (only possible through a Homebrew Enabler loaded via an exploit), it will still brick the PSP with this motherboard, because the Custom IPL (Initial Program Loader) used in custom firmware is not compatible with its CPU (Central Processing Unit). Also, the Pre-IPL (it starts the IPL) in the PSP-3000 was patched, so Custom IPL could no longer work with this motherboard. Further study must be done on this motherboard before custom firmware can be installed on it.
What lowest Version can it run? Version 4.20.

Credits:

Thanks to erland for providing tachyon + baryon + pommel information.
Thanks to angelsniper45 for stickying my thread. :)
Thanks to every member in the PSP Scene that obtained tachyon + baryon + pommel information.
Thanks to anyone else I did not mention.

angelsniper45

looks like awesome potential here. ive always wanted to stick a thread :D

J

jx233

angelsniper45 said:
looks like awesome potential here. ive always wanted to stick a thread :D

I tryed working on it, but the internet crashed on me, so I'm back working on it.
Also, I gave (+rep) to you for the sticky.

CoMbiNa

Wannabe Developer
Very nice!
except that I don't think that version 4.00 is shipped.
4.01 was a quick bug-fix, so they only shipped it with that version.

angelsniper45

version 4.00 has always been shipped with the brand new units, 4.20 with psp3k is shipped to.

solarnoise

Wow. Fantastic guide, jx!

I'm currently in a tough position... I'm considering buying a PSP-2000 but I'm worried that all the current ones stocked in stores have the TA-088v3 mobo =\

J

jx233

solarnoise said:
Wow. Fantastic guide, jx!

I'm currently in a tough position... I'm considering buying a PSP-2000 but I'm worried that all the current ones stocked in stores have the TA-088v3 mobo =\

PSPs with the TA-088 V3 arrived back in August 2008. The chances of getting one are very high.

But, I know the PSP Slims that are hackable for sure:

"Daxter" Silver PSP Slim and Lite (Motherboards: TA-085, TA-085 V2, TA-088 V1, TA-088 V2)

"Star Wars " White PSP Slim and Lite (Motherboards: TA-085, TA-085 V2, TA-088 V1)

"God-of War" Red PSP Slim and Lite (Motherboards: TA-085 V2, TA-088 V1, TA-088 V2)

angelsniper45

well i remember some of my friends getting brand new units with 4.00 installed. I thought 4.01.

Whats the baseline for TA-88 v3s?

For your thread, you should also include what the baseline firmware is to. eg for fat units 1.0 or something like that, just to make it complete

J

jx233

angelsniper45 said:
well i remember some of my friends getting brand new units with 4.00 installed. I thought 4.01.

Whats the baseline for TA-88 v3s?

For your thread, you should also include what the baseline firmware is to. eg for fat units 1.0 or something like that, just to make it complete

baseline- what do you mean? You mean the lowest firmware the motherbaord can handle?

Sorry, I 'm a bit confused. :confused:

angelsniper45

yes, like the lowest firmware you can install on it. I think psp tool has that capability of that, it told me mine was 3.72, and im using ta-85 v2

J

jx233

angelsniper45 said:
yes, like the lowest firmware you can install on it. I think psp tool has that capability of that, it told me mine was 3.72, and im using ta-85 v2

No, PSP Tool is kinda wrong.

I installed OFW 3.60 usings FreePlay's 3.60 Flasher, and then 3.60 M33 on a friend's TA-085 V2. PSP Tool checks the idstorage of the PSP to tell you about the version.

Every PSP Slim except TA-088 V3 can boot OFW 3.60 and 3.60 M33 as lowest version.

Your TA-085 V2 just shipped with 3.72, it can boot lower versions.

Also, I'll add the baseline firmware thing soon. :smile:

angelsniper45

yes, that was what i was talking about, the original firmware that comes preinstalled :)

also, would you mind sending me a pm with the 3.60 flasher? I dont know why, but ive always been interested in using 3.6, but havent gotten the chance to, other than tm.

J

jx233

Well, I don't have it, but FreePlay's website does. Go to FreePlay's website to find out more about the flasher.

Also, instead of flashing 3.60 M33, just autorun it from TimeMachine.
Open config.txt in your TM folder, and write:

[BLOCKQUOTE2]NOTHING= "/TM/360M33/ipl.bin";[/BLOCKQUOTE2]

angelsniper45

Yes, ive heard of the refurbed units getting 4.01 on them, whereas the brand new units are being upgraded to 4.20, sometimes even 5.00. So I would recommend sticking with a refurbed unit or getting an older unit

Alex

my error never read the whole post

you can delete this

Alex

Information: This is the motherboard found in retail/store bought PSP-3000 units. It patched the hardware exploit which the Pandora's Battery method used. This motherboard has a new layout just like the TA-088 V3 motherboard found in the PSP-2000. The new layout was s0nY's anticipatory move against people who hard-mod their PSPs. This motherboard also has a new IC (Internal Control) microchip which no longer allows a soft-modded and hard-modded Pandora Battery to autostart service mode on the PSP. This motherboard treats a Pandora Battery as either a regular or unknown battery. Considering that this motherboard blocks a Pandora Battery from starting the PSP, and it blocking the loading of the MagicStick IPL (Initial Program Loader); this is currently most secure motherboard known. And concering its firmware version, it shipped with Version 4.20 or Version 4.21 depending on the region and date created.
Runs Custom Firmware? No, it is secure and blocks the Pandora's Battery method; which is the only way to get custom firmware installed on the PSP-3000 units. Even if custom firmware is installed, it will brick the PSP with this motherboard, because the Custom IPL (Initial Program Loader) used in custom firmware is not compatible with its CPU (Central Processing Unit). Further study must be done on this motherboard before custom firmware can be installed on it.

Wait i dont understand, if cfw can be installed on these, but ends up on a brick because the custom ipl isnt compatible on the cpu, how does it load from it of the ms when booting dc?

why is the custom ipl become compatible with o1g and o2g?

why cant we access flash0 on it, like cant we make a homebrew app that will write it using an exploit?

and how does the psp 3000 block the custom ipl?
cant we forge it somehow?

my knowledge on the h/w side of the psp is 0%
i've been meaning to learn
lol

january39

eXo Staff
Runs Custom Firmware? No, it is secure and blocks the Pandora's Battery method; which is the only way to get custom firmware installed on the PSP-3000 units. Even if custom firmware is installed, it will brick the PSP with this motherboard, because the Custom IPL (Initial Program Loader) used in custom firmware is not compatible with its CPU (Central Processing Unit). Further study must be done on this motherboard before custom firmware can be installed on it.

Wait i dont understand, if cfw can be installed on these, but ends up on a brick because the custom ipl isnt compatible on the cpu, how does it load from it of the ms when booting dc?

why is the custom ipl become compatible with o1g and o2g?

why cant we access flash0 on it, like cant we make a homebrew app that will write it using an exploit?

and how does the psp 3000 block the custom ipl?
cant we forge it somehow?

my knowledge on the h/w side of the psp is 0%
i've been meaning to learn
lol

A Custom IPL does not work on the 3000 due to the Pre-IPL not being known. If we could forge the IPL there would be no need for CFW as we could self sign any code to run on OFW and SCE could do nothing to stop it. That would be the holy grail.

Where's a dev when you need one? :biggrin: