• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

God Talk

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
1. We shouldn't be forced to accept all the negative things religion is used for just to get the comparably small benefits it provides.

thats just it. we shouldn't accept the negative things(anti gay, science denying etc)
if a person is religious, but doesn't subscribe to the hateful and stupid crap, I don't see why they are an issue, as they aren't affecting me in any way whatsoever.

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
thats just it. we shouldn't accept the negative things(anti gay, science denying etc)
if a person is religious, but doesn't subscribe to the hateful and stupid crap, I don't see why they are an issue, as they aren't affecting me in any way whatsoever.

i kinda agree with you. I look around and see how many of my friends and family members are actually happier because of religion. I know it's false hope but sometimes that's better than nothing.

Food for thought -
Without religion, what is there in terms of an afterlife? Obviously, no one has a clue but there are several theories. As of right now, I'm leaning towards the theory that there is nothingness after death. It's a little depressing to think about but In the other hand, we won't be able to experience nothingness... obviously.

If I was on my deathbed and all I had to look forward to was nothingness then I would be depressed too. I think it's more comforting to look forward to a Heaven where I would see my family and things like that. I don't think it's right to take that hope away from people.

I'm not finished with this book (I'm only on chapter 5) but I guess there is a chapter telling you why you should sway theists to second guess their belief. I'm looking forward to that chapter but we'll see.

EDIT: My mom just saw the book and asked me what it was about. I plainly said "Religion". She was proud thinking it was a christian book... Obviously, they don't know I'm atheist and I plan to keep it that way.. I'm not sure how my parents would act.

ChurchedAtheist

Obviously, they don't know I'm atheist and I plan to keep it that way.. I'm not sure how my parents would act.

I had that discussion yesterday. my mom said "well, you always have been knowledge and evidence based." then quoted the 'blessed are those who belive w/o seeing' verse. i was wondering how she would react. I was impressed.

FreePlay

My parents probably wouldn't care. I just haven't brought it up yet. Their reaction to finding out I was bisexual was... well, literally nothing. They didn't care at all.

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
I actually didn't know you were.. Interesting.

I wonder how many christian bisexuals or homosexuals there are...

Adiuvo

Not many, considering the bible bans homosexuality.

IIRC the first few verses of chapter 19 of Matthew ban it.

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
Not many, considering the bible bans homosexuality.

IIRC the first few verses of chapter 19 of Matthew ban it.

That's why I was wondering. I knew it was forbidden but I'm sure there are ppl that still practice both.

FreePlay

The fact that the Bible bans something really doesn't affect whether modern Christians do it or not. They'll just invent a new meaning for the poetry that fits their views.

Quite amusing, really.

ChurchedAtheist

The fact that the Bible bans something really doesn't affect whether modern Christians do it or not. They'll just invent a new meaning for the poetry that fits their views.

Quite amusing, really.

its true. if that new meaning = more tolerant, then yay. I'd rather have a nonbigoted christian who is misinterpreting his bible than someone who tries to ban gay marriage.

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
Just thought I would bring this up. It was mentioned in The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins and I thought it should be pointed out. Maybe old news but worth mentioning.

Commondreams.org 2005 Story said:
President George Bush has claimed he was told by God to invade Iraq and attack Osama bin Laden's stronghold of Afghanistan as part of a divine mission to bring peace to the Middle East, security for Israel, and a state for the Palestinians.

Full Story

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins said:
..."Too bad God didn't tell him there we no weapons of mass destruction"...

I lol'd.

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
Ok so I met a new girl and we are on our way to a pretty strong relationship. I can already tell we're going to be together for a while. We click and get along really well. There is just one problem - She is a huge christian. Her purse says "Christian Girl" and she quotes the bible a lot. Me being the atheist that I am, I am a little worried about it causing problems.

I ended up telling her. I figured it would be best to tell her now then get myself into a strong relationship and then have that break it up. At first she was pretty upset but now she seems ok with it. We don't talk about it but I'm still afraid it will cause problems if and when we start dating.

Any advice? Should I try to go to church? I mean I don't want to be swayed in beliefs by a girl but at the same time I really want this to work..

Serideth

Ok so I met a new girl and we are on our way to a pretty strong relationship. I can already tell we're going to be together for a while. We click and get along really well. There is just one problem - She is a huge christian. Her purse says "Christian Girl" and she quotes the bible a lot. Me being the atheist that I am, I am a little worried about it causing problems.

I ended up telling her. I figured it would be best to tell her now then get myself into a strong relationship and then have that break it up. At first she was pretty upset but now she seems ok with it. We don't talk about it but I'm still afraid it will cause problems if and when we start dating.

Any advice? Should I try to go to church? I mean I don't want to be swayed in beliefs by a girl but at the same time I really want this to work..

I'd make a thread for this alone to be honest. In my opinion relationships are all about give and take, would it really kill you to go to church the odd time with her? It doesn't mean you have to pray or worship or anything, just think of it as an activity she takes part in.

Adiuvo

If she asks, go. One session isn't going to kill you, and you might find that you actually enjoy it. There's no harm in trying something.

Seth

MD Party Room

I can spare a few words.

First of depending on the church she from but when "Christian" get into a dating,It means where thinking of married with that person not just for the hell of it at lest that the belief of the Catholic church. Second talking about your belief in god can both make and break the relationship so so think carefully .When she going threw a Christian event like the upcoming lent be super supportive about it,try your hardest not to bash her believes or make fun of her of some of the more ridiculous parts of Christian do. If you dont wanna do the whole mass thing,she may try and get you to come with her to a youth ministry party try and enjoy them there super fun and most of them have little to do with god or the bible(well maybe a small prayer or something) there be tons of great food,music,and other people just to hangout with. If she active in pro-life events it be nice to show support and join in. Other than that just try and have fun and things should work out.O keep in mind this goes both ways not just one way she must also be willing to do give/do something for you as well.

I am a Roman Catholic and most of these are just my thoughts on how I treat the Christian girls I date. It depends more on who the person is,how much they really care about sin,how strong there faith is.

Hope you found that helpful.

Teowulf

<span style=height:2px;cursor:default;"></span>
I have this same type of problem, but mine is Jewish. It helps that I am technically Jewish, but I am an atheist when it all boils down to it. We sort of try to avoid the topic, but I usually try to use as much Yiddish in my vocabulary as possible and try to make myself seem as Jewish as possible without being religious. Not that this will be of any help to you.

I personally would recommend doing what you've been doing and avoid the topic, it really shouldn't matter unless things get really serious. If that happens, you really won't be able to avoid the subject anymore, and you'll have to have a talk about your differences.

Sorry I couldn't be much help.

FreePlay

No.

I'm convinced that it will not work. Not with someone with such strong beliefs. And avoiding the discussion is not going to solve the problem.

Think of what dating is meant to lead to, then think of all the problems it will cause down the road.

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
No.

I'm convinced that it will not work. Not with someone with such strong beliefs. And avoiding the discussion is not going to solve the problem.

Think of what dating is meant to lead to, then think of all the problems it will cause down the road.

That's what I'm afraid of. I mean it's just high-school... The chances of it lasting to marriage are very little but that's not really the point. I also think that it's fine now, but it will become a problem later...

Thanks for the help guys.

Slasher

Suck It
That's what I'm afraid of. I mean it's just high-school... The chances of it lasting to marriage are very little but that's not really the point. I also think that it's fine now, but it will become a problem later...

Thanks for the help guys.

I was watching a show where an extremely religious Christian couple refused to even kiss until their marriage day. All they could really do was hold hands. Is that ridiculous or what?

I hope your prospective girlfriend isn't like that. She better shell out, or your best bet is just finding someone else. High school is your training ground, don't let it go to waste.