• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Good Strategy Games?

Adiuvo

I'm looking for some older strategy games to get for my netbook, so does anyone have any ideas? I've already got Warcraft II.

Triklops

Well, if you want a classic RTS then nothing is better than Age of Empires 2, CnC Series, Empire Earth, Kohan, Cossacks..if you're looking for ones focused on multiplayer then go for Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots or Rise of Legends if you prefer sci-fi, Warhammer 40k or even Starcraft..

If you like city building go for Zeus/Poseidon(and other city building series from Impressions like Pharaoh, Emperor ROTMK) , Settlers series, 1701 A.D(the Anno series)..there are so many..

P.S. Sorry I tend to get a little carried away when someone mentions RTS. :p

Colm

Civilization II: Test of Time, Civlilization IV for grand strategy, and Empire:Total War for both Grand Strategy and RTS

Triklops

@Adiuvo np..netime

I don't think I would recommend RA2 for a netbook..personally I'm not too much of a fan of the RA series..a tad too kinky for my taste :blushing:..I'd take Tiberium Wars/Kane's Wrath over RA2 any given day..

And if its for the latest and the best..just close ur eyes and get urself a copy of Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor..that game just reinvents the RTS genre afresh..

Chathurga

Civilization II: Test of Time, Civlilization IV for grand strategy, and Empire:Total War for both Grand Strategy and RTS

Yeah seriously, if you haven't played these games then tbh you're a huge clint.
Civ IV probably wouldn't run great, Civ2 (possibly Civ3, it looks better but doesn't play as good) is perfect. Maybe try Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri while you're at it.

Colm

OK, I've just tried playing Empire on a crappy laptop and I retract that comment. I also forgot you said "netbook", so when I wrote that post, I was thinking of a crappy laptop :p Empire does work great on some machines though, you can run it on intergrated graphics with some low FPS rates (then again, FPS doesn't really matter in Grand Strategy), but I dunno if it'd ever run on a netbook.

But seriously. Test of Time. Do it.

agentnnc

That Guy I Am
Most don't consider it a strategy, but IMO the campaign takes a lot of thinking over:
Worms Armageddon

Scorned

Sadly, i've actually never gotten a chance to play a Civilization game. I've heard mixed things from my friends, so i never really pursued it.

And Red Alert is fun, on a very good scale.