• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Graphics Card Suggestion

VanCityScT

I was hoping to get some advice on what kind of graphics card to buy for my computer. I don't really know much on the topic and any advice would be appreciated. My computer was store-bought and relatively new (I've had it for about 6 months).

These are my specs:
Manufacturer: Compaq-Presario/HP
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 215 Processor, 2.7 GHz, 2 Cores, 2 Logical Pro
Memory: 3.0 GB

Display:
Chip/Adapter Type: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
DAC Type: Intregrated RAMDAC
Adapter RAM: 128.0 MB
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 (32-bit) (60Hz)
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

I'm not looking for anything too fancy. I mainly just want to play StarCraft and possibly WoW. I've looked around and people have stated a decent card would be around 100$, which is within my budget. But I'm open to all suggestions. I would also like to know if improvements in my processor, memory and anything like that would also be a good idea. Thanks!

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
At that price range your best bet is the HD5670:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150466&

The 5670 pulls power straight off the PCI-E slot, so no extra power connectors are needed.

Another option is the 5770:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161338

While the 5670 will certainly handle SC and WoW, the 5770 packs enough grunt to run Crysis at high, so it'll last you longer. The only holdup is that your PSU may not be up to snuff. OEMs like Compaq and Dell usually go with the bare minimum when it comes to a power supply, which is problematic when upgrading to a higher-end card. You could always replace the PSU, but a decent one will set you back around $70-100.

I'd say you are all set on RAM. 3GB is more than enough for any game out there right now. I wouldn't sweat on upgrading the CPU either - an X2 is adequate for your purposes. Just keep in mind, when replacing the CPU on most prebuilts you are limited to what the manufacture supports for that configuration.

VanCityScT

Thanks for the reply.

So my best bet would be 5770, and this will allow me to run SC II with full graphics? That and WoW are about the only things I'll prbly be playing on my PC for now, but this card should be able to handle anything in the near future, correct? (Most likely they'll be PC only games such as Diablo and the like since I do have a 360 for those console games as well).

Also would I be able to purchase this card in a retail store? I was thinking Best Buy or w/e.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Thanks for the reply.

So my best bet would be 5770, and this will allow me to run SC II with full graphics? That and WoW are about the only things I'll prbly be playing on my PC for now, but this card should be able to handle anything in the near future, correct? (Most likely they'll be PC only games such as Diablo and the like since I do have a 360 for those console games as well).

Also would I be able to purchase this card in a retail store? I was thinking Best Buy or w/e.

Best Buy should have it. Might be able to get a better deal online, though. I purchase all my parts from Newegg.

And yes, I would go for the 5770. It is better suited for heavy gaming and will last you longer. The only holdup, as I said in my previous post, is that a power supply upgrade may be in order. It requires a 500W PSU and a single 6-pin PCI-E connector.

By comparison.. the 5670 requires a 400W minimum and no external power connector.

I can probably find out what PSU you have, just need to know the model of your HP machine. A direct link to the configuration helps.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
ah yep, if that's the case then a PSU upgrade is needed for either card.. not even a 5670 will run on a 250 W. the cards below it might but those aren't really suitable for gaming.

here's a good budget PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182032

This is why I never buy prebuilt.. they skimp out on essential parts, which makes upgrading a pain.

VanCityScT

Yep, thats the configuration.

Sucks that I need a new PSU as well, but if I am going to spend on a new one I want to make sure I get my moneys worth. That said, is the one you suggest decent enough? I wouldnt mind spending more if it woukld make it worth my while. When upgrading I dont really wanna cheap out on parts as it does become a pain in the ass later. Thanks.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Yep, thats the configuration.

Sucks that I need a new PSU as well, but if I am going to spend on a new one I want to make sure I get my moneys worth. That said, is the one you suggest decent enough? I wouldnt mind spending more if it woukld make it worth my while. When upgrading I dont really wanna cheap out on parts as it does become a pain in the ass later. Thanks.

It's decent enough for your setup. If you can spend more I would get a Corsair 750W, it's the same one I have:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

One advantage of going with the Corsair is it can handle dual GPU setups. Somewhat overkill but always nice to have the extra headroom. I'm sure it will also be able to handle whatever comes next, can't say the same for the other unit.

Corsair PSUs are top of the line, they also come with a 5 year warranty which is another plus.