• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Guinness Top 50 most Influential games ever.

Seth

MD Party Room
1. Super Mario Kart
2. Tetris
3. Grand Theft Auto
4. Super Mario World
5. Zelda Ocarina of Time
6. Halo
7. Resident Evil IV
8. Final Fantasy XII
9. Street Fighter II
10. GoldenEye
11. Super Mario 64
12. Tomb Raider
13. Metal Gear Solid
14. Call of Duty 4
15. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
16. GTA San Andreas
17. Super Mario Bros
18. Zelda: A Link to the Past
19. Gran Turismo
20. Final Fantasy VII
21. Pro Evolution Soccer 4
22. The Orange Box
23. Lego Star Wars Complete Saga
24. Tekken 2
25. Wii Sports
26. Pokemon Red/Blue
27. Guitar Hero
28. Project Gotham Racing 4
29. Super Mario Galaxy
30. Resident Evil
31. Ico
32. Chrono Trigger
33. Gunstar Heroes
34. Soul Calibur
35. Advance Wars
36. Ridge Racer
37. Super Metroid
38. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
39. GTA Vice City
40. BioShock
41. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
42. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
43. God of War
44. Sega Rally Championship
45. Starfox 64
46. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
47. WarioWare Inc
48. Saturn Bomberman
49. Crash Bandicoot
50. Outrun 2

Via Super Mario Kart: Most Influential Video Game in History

All I can say this is a horrible list.Saying Halo was more influential on gaming then Street Fighter II.OR Final Fantasy XII more influential on gaming than Final Fantasy VII. What the hell did Pro Evolution Soccer 4,Saturn Bomberman,Gunstar Heroes,Outrun 2 do for gaming?Lego Star Wars Complete Saga and The Orange Box where just a bunch of game put together still great but done nothing to gaming. No talk of great games like COD4,Burnout,metroid prime was also a dissapointent . I thought they did alot for morden games.

How is Call of Duty influential?

It took FPS out of those stupid world war 2 shoots and a more modern take on military action.

They put 3 GTA games on there. Very inconsistent.

Pro evolution soccer???

And CoD4 is number 14.

That was actually one of the few that i didn't disagree with. You had to have been in the UK to see how influencial that game was. It pretty much set a new precident for every football game after that.

It took FPS out of those stupid world war 2 shoots and a more modern take on military action.

I think there were older games that did the same thing. I can't think of any but I am sure CoD4 isn't the one that started it all.

For the most part, i agree with the list, because although i dont like some of the games, some of them did have a pretty big influence.

All I can say this is a horrible list.Saying Halo was more influential on gaming then Street Fighter II.OR Final Fantasy XII more influential on gaming than Final Fantasy VII. What the hell did Pro Evolution Soccer 4,Saturn Bomberman,Gunstar Heroes,Outrun 2 do for gaming?Lego Star Wars Complete Saga and The Orange Box where just a bunch of game put together still great but done nothing to gaming. No talk of great games like COD4,Burnout,metroid prime was also a dissapointent . I thought they did alot for morden games.

Just because people think Halo 1 was a bad game doesn't mean that it's not influential. Like it or not, Halo CE was the game that really kicked off first person shooters on consoles. There were a few major FPS games on consoles before Halo CE, like Medal of Honor on PS1 and Goldeneye on N64, but Halo CE was the one that really showed FPS's could work, and could be hugely successful financially on consoles.

Honestly I think Halo CE could be even higher up on the list, because it seems like very other game we see today on consoles is a FPS.

As for the Orange Box, that game really kicked every other developers ass because it put 5 award winning games into one box for $60, while others churned out shit games that were half as long as a single game on the orange box and were still $60.

I'm sad to see Mario Galaxy there though. That is nothing but a standard rehashed mario game except with the twist of space and one innovative control (wiggling the wiimote), its not influential, its just beating a dead horse.

3 reasons this list is complete bullshit:
No Half-Life 1
CoD4 and Mario Galaxy are there. How are they influential, they fucking came out in the past 2 years.
Mario Kart is no. 1, wtf.

Edit: Wii Sports above Pokemon? This shit is bananas.

Edit2: No Doom?! Seriously throw this shit out.

3 reasons this list is complete bullshit:
No Half-Life 1
CoD4 and Mario Galaxy are there. How are they influential, they fucking came out in the past 2 years.
Mario Kart is no. 1, wtf.

Edit: Wii Sports above Pokemon? This shit is bananas.

Edit2: No Doom?! Seriously throw this shit out.

I actually agree with Doom, I hated the damn game but there's no denying that it is very influential.

I don't even feel like listing the games that are on that list and really shouldn't be.

This must have been thought up over lunch. Doesn't look like a lot of consideration was put into this.

As I stated on IRC, it really all depends on what the criteria are for "most influential game". Is this stated anywhere? Please try and provide sources for your information as I generally enjoy doing some extra reading if things interest me.

As I stated on IRC, it really all depends on what the criteria are for "most influential game". Is this stated anywhere? Please try and provide sources for your information as I generally enjoy doing some extra reading if things interest me.

Edited to provide the source,just for you. and a nice quote to why they picked Mario kart.

The team said they picked Super Mario Kart for the top spot because it is the best-selling racer on the SNES, the GameCube and the DS. Tetris, a good choice for number two, was selected because it is available on at least 50 different gaming platforms. And Grand Theft Auto holds the record for the most controversial series of games.

There not that many racers on the the Snes,gamecube, or ds,also I pretty sure that mario kart wii is the best reaceing game on wii as well.But that really limted there not that many racers on any nintendo system.

Are you sure this list is ranking titles in order of importance? Either way, it's not that bad. I've seen worse top 50 lists.

Also yeah I am surprised Doom isn't on here, or Wolfenstein 3D for that matter. However if this list is based mostly on the SNES to current gen era, then for the most part it is fairly accurate. Chrono Trigger is one of the greatest RPGs ever and Super Metroid still is the pinnacle of exploration games to me.

Looks like it's only for Console games?:
Tasked with selecting the best console games of all time, contributors of this year's Gamer's Edition reviewed hundreds of releases to compile a list of the top 50 titles ranked on their initial impact and lasting legacy.

@x3, it appears to be ranked in order of importance AND on how fun they are:
Guinness World Records Editor-in-Chief, Craig Glenday, said of the selection process: "We knew this would be a complex task so we invited a crack team of industry experts to form a judging panel - and the result is a "top 50" list of games ranked both on their importance and on how fun they are to play."

This is still no definition of what "most influential" means, apart from this:
Look over that list and then tell us what your top ten picks would have been. Keep in mind this is being judged on a game's initial impact and lasting legacy, not necessarily how fun they were.

Which doesn't exactly help.

That was actually one of the few that i didn't disagree with. You had to have been in the UK to see how influencial that game was. It pretty much set a new precident for every football game after that.

PES has the best graphics for a long time now. Fifa is just coming along, but if the makers of PES (I don't know) and the makers of FIFA (EA) come together and make a game, it would out of this world. EA for the graphics, and PES Maker's for the gameplay. Oh, just thinking about it makes my head explode. :w00t:

Same goes for EA and 2K Sports. If 2K Sports and EA combine to make the next NBA game, then same thing goes, it would be out of this world. But, I doubt it'll happen. :blushing:

PES has the best graphics for a long time now. Fifa is just coming along, but if the makers of PES (I don't know) and the makers of FIFA (EA) come together and make a game, it would out of this world. EA for the graphics, and PES Maker's for the gameplay. Oh, just thinking about it makes my head explode. :w00t:

Same goes for EA and 2K Sports. If 2K Sports and EA combine to make the next NBA game, then same thing goes, it would be out of this world. But, I doubt it'll happen. :blushing:

The developers for PES are Konami. I disagree with you strongly, i'd rather just have the PES makers have the full license and get EA to sort out online connection. Fifa plays online like a dream.

If Konami had the same budget as EA and the license, they could make the best sports game ever.

Back